Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2017

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I took the day off yesterday, for an appointment initially, but also the aim to use the time following to catch a flick. The sadness in me is of hearing of a colleague or friend seeing a film on opening night, and if I half-want to see it, I don't want to hear about it from them. So, on Monday I was told that a workmate was to see Logan on Wednesday eve. I was very tired yesterday, and just wanted to be at home really, but my unquenchable desire to be an early viewer meant me waddling wearily to a Vue, and see it. The annoying thing is, I come to work today, ask the colleague what he thought of it, only for him to tell me he didn't go. Where's the good in competing with someone who just isn't racing at all.

Anywho, Logan was the film. It started quite well, and I enjoyed it being a '15' and gruesome and gritty, but I wasn't hugely connected to it. It didn't feel like a perfect evolution to how things are in 10 years, with Logan's approaching decrepitude. And some bits had the Marvel corniness that they cannot allow not to be in there, it seems. It had a Terminator 2 feel to it at times. Which doesn't make it bad. I just was thinking of whilst they are on the road. Overall, it was ok, but I got a bit bored, and the voice of the girl he's saving, when it finally comes out, is shriekily grating. I also disapprove of Professor X being sweary, and Stephen Merchant being in there. But, as I said, it weren't bad. I think in some ways I think I've had just about enough of Wolverine films. And Jackman as him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Watching the **** up of the Oscars last night the person I feel the most for is the 79 year old Warren Beatty. He did not make a mistake and was put in a horrible position as was Faye Dunaway. Glorious **** up but in no way their fault. Worst things happen at Sea. Hey ho it is only films after all. Feel sorry for Warren he deserves better than that and he was clearly struggling with it all being given the wrong ****ing envelope

He could have said "I think I've been given the wrong card", but didn't. Instead he shows the card to Faye (and according to rumours there was an argument about who would get to announce the winner, was he just trying to show her why he was stalling, or was he just putting her on the spot knowing she would embarrass herself?) Yet, in an effort to protect their own, he is being portrayed as a victim and the accountants thrown under a bus. Several people could have done things differently to avoid the embarrassment. But like you say, it's only a film awards show. Definite overreacting all around. I mean the accountants are getting death threat, ffs.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Went to see Loving last night at the Connaught Studio in Worthing...i like the revamp...and look forward to the new bar they are looking to put in at the base of the Balcony

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I finally got around the seeing Hidden Figures today. It's a touching, at times comical and always well acted film, albeit one that is very on the nose with the subject matter. I'd highly recommend it though.

I also saw Logan on Friday. Again, I'm sure it'll be devisive, but to someone who is a great lover of all things comic book, it was right up there with The Dark Knight for me. I appreciate some will have Wolverine/Jackman fatigue at this stage, and I must confess I probably felt that going in, but the film was tremendously well acted, vicious, with a solid storyline and the odd bit of wry humour, just to balance things out. Again, I'd highly recommend it, particularly if you like he subject matter. However, if superheroes aren't your thing, then it probably isn't worth your time.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I finally got around the seeing Hidden Figures today. It's a touching, at times comical and always well acted film, albeit one that is very on the nose with the subject matter. I'd highly recommend it though.

I also saw Logan on Friday. Again, I'm sure it'll be devisive, but to someone who is a great lover of all things comic book, it was right up there with The Dark Knight for me. I appreciate some will have Wolverine/Jackman fatigue at this stage, and I must confess I probably felt that going in, but the film was tremendously well acted, vicious, with a solid storyline and the odd bit of wry humour, just to balance things out. Again, I'd highly recommend it, particularly if you like he subject matter. However, if superheroes aren't your thing, then it probably isn't worth your time.
This re: Logan although I felt that if you weren't so into superheroes, it would still be fine. I think one of the big successes of the film is getting away from the sometimes two-dimensional nature of some superhero films, and really bringing in the human and relationship side of things, without losing the excitement. Great script, great acting, and for me much better than previous Wolverine/X-Men films.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I went to see Kong: Skull Island last night at the Komedia.

Went into the film expecting it to be total balls but actually rather enjoyed it. Good use of 3D, just cheesy enough and just the right length. Oh and Brie Larson is nice to look at.

Amazed to share the cinema with only about 10 others plus me and the little lady.

Great piece of toffee apple flapjack too. I really enjoy the Komedia experience.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Viceroy's House. A decent film, better than I thought it would be and a good history lesson, 79 out of 100

This year

La La Land 95
Lion 89
Hacksaw Ridge 85
Viceroy's House 79
Moonlight 56

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Beauty & The Beast. 95/100.

Top tip to all blokes after brownie points and/or conjugal enhancement: Take your other half on a "date" to see this film - you will thank me...!

High quality, enjoyable and very roman'ic...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Kong: Skull Island.

Last week I took myself off to the cinema. I chose Kong, not because I thought it'd be especially good. It it might provide some escapist nonsense and Enough big screen, blockbuster thrills to make up for the weak story.
It was mind numbingly boring from start to finish save for a slightly animated section when they first arrive on Skull Island.
It basically rips off Apocolypse Now but with none of the heart of that film.
A few crappy big monsters and insects make a brief appearance. Good stars like Jackson are wasted. It's all a mess. Then just when you think its starting to pick up....it ends.
Basically it's a shoddily made teaser for the big Godzilla v Kong film coming out in a couple of years.
Honestly, don't waste your time with this 3rd rate piece of dogshit.

0.5/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This month's viewing:

Logan
I enjoyed this, but it felt over-hyped.

The Love Witch
Weird, but good. My late night viewing was interrupted by someone responding to getting kicked out of the komedia by setting off the fire alarm.

Get Out
Again, good, but overhyped.

Beauty and the Beast
I thought Emma Watson was vocally weak (clearly required digital enhancement), and lacked that enigmatic charisma belle needs. Gaston, La Fou and the Beast were all good. The film itself wasn't anywhere close to as good as the cartoon, but the songs at the core are strong enough to make it an ok film.

Kong: Skull Island
Fun.

Life
I thought it would be more philosophical, but it was just a decent run of the mill monster-in-space movie.

Power Rangers
Went in with low expectations, and this was actually ok. Had the potential to be so much worse. As a fan of the original series from my childhood, I thought there were some nice ideas to add some depth without trying to hard to be deep.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Has anyone else seen Free Fire? I saw it today and I can't work out whether it's the worst thing I've ever seen or a hidden gem... either way, it's a very peculiar film!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A combination of lasting hit-n-run injury, and probably unnecessary portliness, caused me to be laid out on the floor for a fortnight with back-spasms aplenty. I lay there, on a not very soft mat, stretching a little when I could, and walking around the flat before the pain again became too much. 3 visits to an osteopath helped - the middle one almost had me not return again to her as the bending and shaking she performed shook a rampant fart from me that I breathlessly could not even apologise for - but that was me, really unable to sit, and most painfully of all, perhaps - not really - not go to the flickema - go on kids, use that new SUPERCOOL terminology. So forlorn was I that I had to watch 13 generally awful episodes of Iron Fist. That's what i was going through.
Yesterday, though, I was able to sit up straight enough to go to a free preview of Sense of an Ending. I was and am a fan of the book, and approached it with a certain sense of errm, I strongly doubt it'll capture the text and notions displayed. Of course I was right to a degree, as no film can mirror book, or even usually match the complexity built over episodic television drama. Still, it was alright. Jim Broadbent was wonderfully watchable, as ever, curmudgeonly, as he's called throughout, but humanly pleasant when called upon. And there were moments of mild comedy that brought a smile. And bits that even made me rather sad, although I think that was rather to do with reminiscence of the book. It wasn't as striking as it could be though, and the elements of the film told of the main character's youth in the 1960s needed you to stretch your imagination to accept that devilishly handsome young Tony could grow into something as potatoey as Broadbent. Charlotte Rampling has a rather brief appearance as the older Veronica, and by gum they look not in the slightest alike. Maybe that fits into the story's idea of false beauty added in memory, but I wouldn't say that many of us males would recall ourselves to be adonises. Anywho, the story appealed, and I do like the horror of being confronted so painfully be half-forgotten memory, and it was reasonably told, and I chuckled as some of it was rather shot near where I now live, that I wasn't ready for.

Overall, mostly, I was glad to be back in the cinema. :)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Has anyone else seen Free Fire? I saw it today and I can't work out whether it's the worst thing I've ever seen or a hidden gem... either way, it's a very peculiar film!

I saw it as part of the cinecity festival last year, there was a Q&A with Ben Wheatley afterwards (FF was filmed in one of the factories near the argus building up hollingbury!)

I liked it. I felt the funniest moments were in the trailer. The reviews I've seen have all been quite positive (the lack of real plot is a statement on the lack of logic in shoot outs, and action films, apparently).

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I saw Beauty and the Beast and I LOVED it. It was a delight. Did a great job and Emma Watson I thought was perfect as Belle despite what some mean spirited critics said. It gets an 86 out of 100 for me

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I saw it as part of the cinecity festival last year, there was a Q&A with Ben Wheatley afterwards (FF was filmed in one of the factories near the argus building up hollingbury!)

I liked it. I felt the funniest moments were in the trailer. The reviews I've seen have all been quite positive (the lack of real plot is a statement on the lack of logic in shoot outs, and action films, apparently).

There certainly was a lack of plot. I didn't see the trailer so can't comment on how many of the funniest moments made it into the final cut, but I did think it had its humorous moments. It felt a bit like it wanted to be a ,odeon day Reservoir Dogs, but the lack of plot and character development held it back from being in that class for me.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Usually films are released in Japan months after they are released elsewhere in the world spo by the time I get to see them in the cinema everyone else has moved well on. I am delighted to see that as far as I can work out Ghost in the shell has been released at pretty much the same time in Japan as the rest of the world. So I can give it a review! Hoorah!

Not being a massive fanboy of either the manga or the anime I don't really care that they've strayed quite far from the source material. I went for the visuals and because it is set in a blade runner-esque asian city of the future kind of like what I really want Tokyo to actually look like.

So, with those things in mind, I thoroughly enjoyed the film. It looked beautiful, it was well paced and well acted(it's hard not to love Takeshi Kitano). The story wasn't overly complex and certainly doesn't make you think as much as the original but it's a hollywood movie so what do you expect? It's a decent enough story that makes you think a little even if you maybe wish that it went a little deeper into the philosophical side of things, but then that would add length to a refreshingly short(by modern standards) film(an hour and forty five give or take) and probably **** up the pacing.

Basically if you don't know the source material there's plenty about the film for you to enjoy. If you are a fan of the manga and anime...you can still enjoy it just think of it as an homage/inspired by film rather than a live action remake.

It gets a solid 7.5/10 from me.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The Levelling

Very dark, gritty Brit film set on a post flood struggling farm, and daughter (played by an excellent Ellie Kendrick) reconciling family relationships.

Make you laugh it won't, but a quality film. Recommended.
fff.jpg

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'm off this week. But there is absolutely nothing I want to watch at the pictures :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here