Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich's first goal

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Seem to recall Brian Clough (I think) once saying he didn't like walls at free kicks as it can obscure the 'keepers vision, but primarily actually helps the taker in that it gives him something to try and curl the ball round. He reasoned that it was harder without a wall.

Never played in goal, did he?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
and it would also leave them with a clear run at goal.

Plan D
Offside trap, Derbyesque

[tweet]290520447051763712[/tweet]

This was amazing - but Tuesday night they didn't need to run up, just not run back!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Watch almost every free kick in a similar area in almost any other game and exactly the same thing will happen. Defenders always move back as the ball is delivered. If they don't and an attacker beats the offside, they are clear through on their own.

I was about to ask the OP if he was new to football :lol:

And as [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] has already pointed out, the one recent (German) example of not doing this was Huddersfield - who caught us ou by not dropping back and holding their line several times. (something I'd assume they do most weeks which our staff REALLY should have picked up on - and our players after the first time come to think of it!).

A better thread would be any pics / video of Lawrence 'winning' the free-kick imo... Anyone?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
No sarcasm just think a still of that would show better who was at fault, or was it just a perfectly placed free kick

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 15.29.38.png

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

And as [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] has already pointed out, the one recent (German) example of not doing this was Huddersfield - who caught us ou by not dropping back and holding their line several times. (something I'd assume they do most weeks which our staff REALLY should have picked up on - and our players after the first time come to think of it!).

A better thread would be any pics / video of Lawrence 'winning' the free-kick imo... Anyone?

It's on the multi cam highlights on Player.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
So, the guy who 'won' and took that excellent free kick, Tom Lawrence, and the guy who bravely scored it, Luke Chambers will both MISS their game v dirty Leeds. The tw4ts.

Lawrence is suspended and Chambers cracked a rib in the collision with Stockdale.

el punal

With the right delivery those are VERY hard to defend. It was a fantastic delivery. I would have liked them all to step up though.

Quite right. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge, despite the defence being slightly at fault, that it was a superb cross in and a very brave header to score. How many times have we done that to the opposition? Quite a few is the answer.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

Its basics of defending to hold your line. Think you've both show yourselves up to not have a clue here.

EDIT - In this instance

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Its basics of defending to hold your line. Think you've both show yourselves up to not have a clue here.

EDIT - In this instance

:lol: You don't need to talk to me about holding defensive lines - I've been doing it since the age of 10 :thumbsup:

You/myself do raise a good point here though. At grassroots level it's the common thing to do holding the line even on a free kick. In the pro game, pretty much every team drops 3-5 yards before the ball is kicked.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
:lol: You don't need to talk to me about holding defensive lines - I've been doing it since the age of 10 :thumbsup:

You/myself do raise a good point here though. At grassroots level it's the common thing to do holding the line even on a free kick. In the pro game, pretty much every team drops 3-5 yards before the ball is kicked.

Equally, I've been breaching said lines and scoring goals from younger than that even, and I cant remember a time any defence has been that kind to me!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Quite right. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge, despite the defence being slightly at fault, that it was a superb cross in and a very brave header to score. How many times have we done that to the opposition? Quite a few is the answer.

Bob Booker compares that free kick to one of Knocky's, in his commentary, on Player. He also said it wasn't a free kick.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Our defence are pretty fantastic at throwing their bodies in the way of the ball in a death-or-glory stylee. But in many other aspects they are shockingly ordinary e.g if a forward runs directly at them or a winger gets to the touchline and does that cut the ball back thing.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Football is becoming way too analytical. You could take a photo of any incident and analyse where things went wrong.

There's a massive element of luck involved in Football. If only Skysports understood this, the sky pundits would age only half as quick.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here