Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***County Championship Division 2, Sussex v Durham at Hove, May 21-24, 2017***

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
There was an exchange of views at close quarters. Coughlin was trying to get a noball called for too much short stuff. Next ball he tried to pull out of a shot and succeeded only in deflecting the ball down on to his middle stump. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Cheers PG.

Great to hear that Archer isn't afraid to rustle a few feathers. A little aggression isn't a bad thing for a fast bowler.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And whose place is under threat?

I believe Briggs played instead of him, but it will depend on the pitch.. if it's going to take spin, play Briggs, and drop....

Well, these were our bowlers 1st innings:

VD Philander 13 1 60 2 4.61 64 (9nb)
JC Archer 19.4 3 76 5 3.86 92
D Wiese 18 5 45 0 2.50 89
CJ Jordan 16 3 38 1 2.37 81 (3nb)
DR Briggs 13 1 56 1 4.30 54
S van Zyl 3 0 4 1 1.33 15

and 2nd

VD Philander 15.2 5 39 4 2.54 79 (4nb)
JC Archer 24 8 49 3 2.04 123
CJ Jordan 10 3 41 2 4.10 47 (1nb)
DR Briggs 18 8 29 0 1.61 93
D Wiese 10 4 15 1 1.50 50
CD Nash 9 3 15 0 1.66 45

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tunbridge Wells is always a road so they may well drop the spinner.

As well as Rhos-on Sea as per earlier in the thread, I've also played at the Neville Ground. Definitely the second* flattest pitch I've ever bowled on, and a lightning quick outfield to boot. Beautiful ground, but horrible to toil on as a quick. I'd say they definitely need the spinner there to give the quicks a rest, and to slow the scoring if the ball starts to fly about.

*after Liverpool CC (Aigburth)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Philander
Magoffin
Jordan
Archer

It's official .
We're on our way

Also , about time david 'can't really bat, can't really bowl' Wiesel was dropped

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
As well as Rhos-on Sea as per earlier in the thread, I've also played at the Neville Ground. Definitely the second* flattest pitch I've ever bowled on, and a lightning quick outfield to boot. Beautiful ground, but horrible to toil on as a quick. I'd say they definitely need the spinner there to give the quicks a rest, and to slow the scoring if the ball starts to fly about.

*after Liverpool CC (Aigburth)

Good point, Briggs may be helpful in a borefest. Best batting pitch i've ever played on was Arundel, absolute corker. Is the trouble with out-ground cricket in general with regards to pitches, incentive is there to produce a pitch that will definitely last 4 days.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good point, Briggs may be helpful in a borefest. Best batting pitch i've ever played on was Arundel, absolute corker. Is the trouble with out-ground cricket in general with regards to pitches, incentive is there to produce a pitch that will definitely last 4 days.

If they are convinced that it will not turn at all, then there is they can consider whether Nash and Wells can share the donkey work instead, I guess.

CAN Wells bowl, after his injury trouble??

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
If they are convinced that it will not turn at all, then there is they can consider whether Nash and Wells can share the donkey work instead, I guess.

CAN Wells bowl, after his injury trouble??
Wells has said that bowling was a particular problem for his knee. I suspect he is not available.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bit worried that Archer is only on a one year contract. That will alert our dear fiends up the A23...

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Sussex play at Colwyn Bay August BH week. What's the ground like there? By chance (kinda) we are on hols in Snowdonia that week...NW PL team away the weekend before would complete the job.

PG
Its actually Rhos on Sea. Small,benches and chairs. Toilet blocks and bar top end. Rhos is small,many stay in Llandudno but book now. We use The Crickleigh its around £60 per room per night with breakfast. Top end of Llandudno near pubs and restaurants etc Try The Tivoli (?) might have to book.

kingstn seagull

Sep 4, 2007
YORKSHARE
Good;really good. Odds-on that he'll be playing for England within three years, I reckon

He won't be England qualified for another 4 seasons as he wasn't brought through a county academy and has no family ties.

If he continues to develop like this, he'll be snapped up by the Windies when they tour here in August!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He won't be England qualified for another 4 seasons as he wasn't brought through a county academy and has no family ties.

If he continues to develop like this, he'll be snapped up by the Windies when they tour here in August!

Nah, he wouldn't be able to play for Sussex if he played for the Windies ... and I'm not sure he's good enough yet to be an overseas player. Besides, Windies are broke, he'd get much more money as a Sussex player.

I hadn't realised he wasn't qualified though, I thought he went to school here.

EDIT: he has a British passport as his father was born here

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here