Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Detectorists BBC4 Thursday at 10pm

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for posting about this series.
I decided to give it a shot on i player this morning whilst having a touch of insomnia.
I thoroughly enjoyed the 1st two episodes. Can't wait to session the rest now.
It's got that slow pace to allow you to really get an insight into each character's personality and their frailties.
In that respect it reminds me a bit of The Royle Family.
You very much get endeared to the characters and their foibles.
This is perhaps one of the most enjoyable things I've watched for a while.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
F*** F*** F***

There was a Christmas special, I completely missed until this morning, here it is:-

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x45azjg

"Sawed our bed in half" came up on the 'comedy one liner' thread.

I couldn't remember what line nearly did me in, from the last series ("have you got a syndrome") did a little t'internet searching only to find the Christmas Special.

Enjoy - you will.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As the new (and last) series is being filmed soon, I guess the Beeb are warming us up by repeating the first series' on BBC2.
Beginning tonight at 10pm.

If you haven't partaken yet, I suggest you give it a go.
You'll know quite soon if it's your cup of tea, or not.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As the new (and last) series is being filmed soon, I guess the Beeb are warming us up by repeating the first series' on BBC2.

Wonderful series. Love it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Thanks for posting again on this as I hadn't picked up on the Christmas special previously. Great that a new series is coming out. Yeah, series is a bit of an aquired taste but I have enjoyed every episode. It's well scripted and a natural sort of day to day banter type comedy. Not in your face.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Back next week for S3. Whilst I really, really enjoy this I hope the lure of the £ won't consign this classic to the heap of Cold Feet, OFaH, Spooks et al.

Know when to quit, in the mode of Fawlty Towers and The Office. I hope Car Share fits too.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Wonderful series. Loved it from start to finish, thoroughly recommend!

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Back next week for S3. Whilst I really, really enjoy this I hope the lure of the £ won't consign this classic to the heap of Cold Feet, OFaH, Spooks et al.

Know when to quit, in the mode of Fawlty Towers and The Office. I hope Car Share fits too.

ooh, excellent, that had passed me by

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Beautiful first episode tonight and reached new heights for me with the haunting ending that sets up the rest of this final series perfectly.

Can't understand why such quality is hidden on BBC4 at 10pm on a Wednesday night, but it somehow seems fitting. Finding buried treasure requires a degree of effort.

10/10 for me.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Beautiful first episode tonight and reached new heights for me with the haunting ending that sets up the rest of this final series perfectly.

Can't understand why such quality is hidden on BBC4 at 10pm on a Wednesday night, but it somehow seems fitting. Finding buried treasure requires a degree of effort.

10/10 for me.

Sounds good! Looking forward to it even more now.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

10/10 for me.

Yep, was no need for me to be worried, and The Unthanks music to boot. Lovely stuff.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
It's a real treat in a landscape devoid of much TV sitcom treasure these days.
One of the things that makes it work so well is the slow pace - it means the dialogue counts for something. Will be savouring the next five episodes.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

10/10 for me.

totally agree...it was an excellent way to end the episode

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It's a real treat in a landscape devoid of much TV sitcom treasure these days.
One of the things that makes it work so well is the slow pace - it means the dialogue counts for something. Will be savouring the next five episodes.

Yes, the slow pace is a wonderful antidote to the rush of everything else, yet the end credits seemed to come very quickly!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Susan stranks.

Magpie....the itv crappier version of blue peter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here