Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we hadn't gone up?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
We had the same thread every year we failed to get out of this division. Realistically it never got much harder. This time last year a prospect of Newcastle, Villa and Norwich on top of Sheff W, Derby etc it looked really difficult to get top 2.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This was the season when we had to go up, and although I'm gutted about missing out on the Championship there's no doubt that next season we would have struggled to field as good a side as the 2016/17 vintage.

This promotion should ensure the well-being of the club for at least the next 5 years, no matter how we do in 2017/18.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hmmm not so sure about that.

3 of the softest teams coming down.
4 reasonably 'easy' teams currently in the play offs.
Norwich will still be a basketcase.
Villa will have won the division by Christmas.
I think the gap between 10 - 20 will be reasonably small.
2 - 10 will be settled by just a couple of quality wins.
Pards will end up managing a Champ team.

Sunderland will be there or thereabouts next season, a Newcastle rather than a Villa. Aspinall commented yesterday that they will keep most of their better players, who will give it a shot on an immediate return. This got mentioned because someone called in thinking we could simply raid them for their best players, but it was pointed out that they are on contracts way out of league.

Norwich - depends on the manager they choose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sunderland will be there or thereabouts next season, a Newcastle rather than a Villa. Aspinall commented yesterday that they will keep most of their better players, who will give it a shot on an immediate return. This got mentioned because someone called in thinking we could simply raid them for their best players, but it was pointed out that they are on contracts way out of league.
That would take some stones, while carrying an £83m wage bill and £150m debt that is currently only having the interest paid.

Norwich - depends on the manager they choose.
Pards, Pards, Pards.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sunderland will be there or thereabouts next season, a Newcastle rather than a Villa. Aspinall commented yesterday that they will keep most of their better players, who will give it a shot on an immediate return.

Much as I love Warren - not a chance of this happening.

They've barely got ANY good players. Defoe is off 100%. Pickford will leave.

Who else is there? Billy Jones? Victor Anichebe? They are stuck with a load of dross that nobody will take off their hands, and will do well to finish mid table IMO.

Hazwaz

Jul 23, 2012
Hove
Add moneybags Wolves and a resurgent Sheffield United into the mix.We would have struggled

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who do they owe the £150m to? Short or a bank? Genuine question, I haven't looked.
Both debt figures come from Football Weekly.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has taught me well.
If you want to know something finanical Swiss Ramble is your friend, from 12 months ago:-

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/sunderland-all-cats-are-grey.html

I don't understand a word of it, but this would suggest Short isn't unkie Bloom:-

Interest payable shot up by £3.7 million from £2.3 million to £6.0 million following a major change to the club’s borrowing arrangements with Security Benefit Corporation (SBC) replacing the previous bank loan and overdraft.

Here's another interesting snippet on how Sunderland can still manage to get shafted by Dick Advocaat being named Netherlands boss.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...dick-advocaat-named-netherlands-boss-13003463

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here