Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
General Election - first poll

My mum is Italian, I voted Leave I shall also be voting Tory because I want a hard Brexit. Credit to May for sticking to her guns. By the way I love Europe and I love Europeans, I just hate that stinking undemocratic organisation called the EU that sits in the middle dictating to everyone what they should do. I could see many years ago the EU will not change for anyone, this is not democracy.

I don't mean to pick holes but every sentence you've written is contradictory given you're potentially voting for a party with which around 60% of the population wouldn't have voted for.

May hasn't also stuck to her guns as she voted Remain and she flip flops more than Trump.

And finally, the EU parliament is as democratically elected as the UK government is. That's why you voted in the Euro Elections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
I didn't agree with the leave vote, I did post on the other huge long thread that if anyone thought the EU, would let us walk away with everything we wanted they were living in cloud cuckoo land.
I was shot down, and told, no, the EU needs us far more than we need them, they export much more to us, than we export to them, ergo, we'll get a sweetheart deal from them.

It doesn't appear that it will work out like that, I'm not praying for failure, I have too much to lose, I'm praying that the EU takes pity on us, cos if they don't, we're ****ed.

So what do you think the chances of us winning the upcoming Eurovision Song Contest are then? You know they only let us enter because we pay for the thing! That's what Britain has become - just a cash cow. Just think what the NHS could do with that 100 billion pounds.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
She may have said she was a remainer but was hardly vociferous was she? In fact I can't remember seeing or hearing much of her during the referendum campaign.

And Corbyn who was equally reticent in his support of remaining, was blamed by the Tory remainders, and the Tory press ,as the reason we are leaving, even though, the majority of remain parliamentary constituents were Labour.

Still, blame Corbyn for everything, seems still to be the Tory strategy

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So what do you think the chances of us winning the upcoming Eurovision Song Contest are then? You know they only let us enter because we pay for the thing! That's what Britain has become - just a cash cow. Just think what the NHS could do with that 100 billion pounds.

If you think the Tories would spend an extra 100 billion on the NHS, you are really deluded.And anyway, as soon as we leave, Boris said that the NHS has 350million a week coming it's way, it won't need anymore cash.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Was Mrs May not on the remain side pre referendum but has now changed clothes to a hard leaver

Mrs May I think expressed a view on remaining. She was not vociferous or in your face about it. Was it a privately held view or a political career view toeing the party line? Her work in trying to negotiate the EU whilst trying to deport terrorists and criminals frustrated her. That is all on record. At that time she was a minister.

Now Mrs May is the prime minister it is even less of a personal choice for her. She has no choice but to act out and represent the winners choice in the referendum.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Was Mrs May not on the remain side pre referendum but has now changed clothes to a hard leaver

Don't be so stupid. She's never once said that she's changed her mind but that the British public has made a decision and that she will do her very best to carry those out.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I voted remain, though not out of great enthusiasm. The idea of trade and travel is appealing, but the EU has become so much more than that. Now that the Brexit negotiations have started, this organisation has started to show its true colours and from someone who was happy to be part of it, their antics of the last few weeks have pushed me to the position of "just tell' em to . . Off."

Indeed, good post

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
She may have said she was a remainer but was hardly vociferous was she? In fact I can't remember seeing or hearing much of her during the referendum campaign.

You're probably right. But we're going off track a little bit. My point is that a broader group should be deciding upon, and negotiating Brexit. At the very least this will reign in May's extremes....as coalitions often do. And at 52/48 there's clearly a mandate for this. But as things stand it's purely May's vision of Brexit.....is this what folk voted for?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't be so stupid. She's never once said that she's changed her mind but that the British public has made a decision and that she will do her very best to carry those out.

You've stated the facts.

May was on record throughout as a remainer and campaigned for remain. But the electorate voted to leave the EU.

'Soft Brexit' would mean the UK continuing to contribute to the huge EU budget and allowing free movement of people. These were key issues campaigned against by the winning Brexit side of the debate. The Government is simply adhering to the Brexit vote and the spirit of the reasons behind it.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Good luck with that

To illustrate the point, do we send our best politicians to Brussels to be commissioners, Kinnock, Kinnock, Mandelson, Brittan et al. No we keep the best at home so does every other member of the EU 27. This is my rationale, would junkers ever make PM in the UK, Guy Verhoffstadt ( Guy from the station town, translated) or Michelle Barnier, no. Second class politicians taking on a goverment and a civil service with 300 years of experience in negotiations of getting in and getting out of countries. The only negotiations the Germans have experienced in the last century is finding a position in negotiating peace terms and their disgraceful management and exiting from Namibia and Tanzania. The former Eastern Block countries have no experience, being told what to do from Moscow and Italy, Spain and Greece have suffered at the hands of the EU dictats.

Its not about luck, its about strategy, you and I know not what the strategy for our Brexit is so we should all wait and see. Keep friends close and your enemies closer.

I understan that it is difficult to deal with rejection, but the EU has essentially brought this on themselves.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Won't vote Labour. Corbyn's policies are uncosted and his stance on Trident makes him unelectable to him. Also, the idea of Dianne Abbot as Home Secretary is one of the most harrowing thoughts I could imagine.

Wont vote Conservative. I agree with Blair that May is a lightweight and I think her dodging the TV debate is cowardice. Her voting record is poor and I dislike almost all of her party's policies.

Liberal Democrats it is then I guess.. are they anti-Brexit? I'll probably vote for them.

Ah, Mr Blair, Thursday, 18 January, 2001
" Tony Blair's decision not to take part in televised election debates with the other main party leaders has been staunchly defended by senior Labour figures.
The prime minister was accused of political cowardice following Wednesday's announcement that he would not take part in the proposed TV debates."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1122468.stm

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
You're probably right. But we're going off track a little bit. My point is that a broader group should be deciding upon, and negotiating Brexit. At the very least this will reign in May's extremes....as coalitions often do. And at 52/48 there's clearly a mandate for this. But as things stand it's purely May's vision of Brexit.....is this what folk voted for?

Yep, I certainly did.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
To illustrate the point, do we send our best politicians to Brussels to be commissioners, Kinnock, Kinnock, Mandelson, Brittan et al. No we keep the best at home so does every other member of the EU 27. This is my rationale, would junkers ever make PM in the UK, Guy Verhoffstadt ( Guy from the station town, translated) or Michelle Barnier, no. Second class politicians taking on a goverment and a civil service with 300 years of experience in negotiations of getting in and getting out of countries. The only negotiations the Germans have experienced in the last century is finding a position in negotiating peace terms and their disgraceful management and exiting from Namibia and Tanzania. The former Eastern Block countries have no experience, being told what to do from Moscow and Italy, Spain and Greece have suffered at the hands of the EU dictats.

Its not about luck, its about strategy, you and I know not what the strategy for our Brexit is so we should all wait and see. Keep friends close and your enemies closer.

I understan that it is difficult to deal with rejection, but the EU has essentially brought this on themselves.

Wow, you certainly know how to look on the bright side!
I really hope you are right, I don't think you are,but, I hope you are.

On the other thread, I posted that I can't see much good coming from any of this, but, I hope in seven years time I can put my hands up and happily admit I was wrong, I hope I can, but ,unfortunately, don't think I will.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Do you really believe that bollox?
I think the Government's approach to negotiating a break with the EU is, We're going to cut off our nose, to spite our face.
What an absolute mess, the blind leading the naive, to the worst possible outcome of a process based on jingoistic bluster.
We will become the laughing stock of the civilised world.

Chin up, that's the spirit, let us wait and see, as was quoted we have not even started yet.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Ah, Mr Blair, Thursday, 18 January, 2001
" Tony Blair's decision not to take part in televised election debates with the other main party leaders has been staunchly defended by senior Labour figures.
The prime minister was accused of political cowardice following Wednesday's announcement that he would not take part in the proposed TV debates."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1122468.stm

Ah, yes ,Tony Blair.

Never too much of a coward, to send other men to war though,

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Won't vote Labour. Corbyn's policies are uncosted and his stance on Trident makes him unelectable to him. Also, the idea of Dianne Abbot as Home Secretary is one of the most harrowing thoughts I could imagine.

Wont vote Conservative. I agree with Blair that May is a lightweight and I think her dodging the TV debate is cowardice. Her voting record is poor and I dislike almost all of her party's policies.

Liberal Democrats it is then I guess.. are they anti-Brexit? I'll probably vote for them.

Bliar - they don't come more lightweight than George W Bush's lapdog. Their flirtatious scenes at Camp David are still parodied by comedians. But their lies led to the very real deaths of many.

Even the Labour Party like to forget about Bliar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here