Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So. Who can STOP us ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Villa can easily catch us with the squad they have. Need 7 points from these next three which should end any threat from
Fulham or villa, if they then catch us from after these games it would mean we aren't close to second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Easily ?

No, more like miraculously.

And we'd need to implode, which is out of their hands and very much in ours.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Thank you, I did think that was the case. Let's hope Bournemouth aren't struggling in January & need him.

Personally I shan't think in promotion terms until the beginning of February when we know our players for the run in.
Oh sh*t I hadn't thought of it like this before. This means I should be hoping for b'muff to do well at least until end of January. Not sure I can bear that - nothing against the club I just EH weirdly irritating. Especially when they win.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh sh*t I hadn't thought of it like this before. This means I should be hoping for b'muff to do well at least until end of January. Not sure I can bear that - nothing against the club I just EH weirdly irritating. Especially when they win.

It's a dilemma, isn't it? Wanting smug Eddie to do well.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There's nothing weirdly irritating about Eddie Howe. He is smugness personified. He needs taking down a peg or two, that hair, that face, that nasty arrogance.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Our good start means we only really need worry about our own form. If we win 2 out of every 3 games we will be promoted, simple as that.

PG

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We are well covered for injuries and suspensions all over the pitch with the exception of up front. If Super Glenn gets crocked then we are down to Hemed and Baldock. Hemed is underrated but not as complete a player as Murray.

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The albion will have already 'risk assessed' our season and will know what we need in January, and as early as possible in January at that.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Honest question. Assuming Newcastle win the league, which I believe they will, who can we see in the chasing pack can overhaul us for that 2nd spot ? This is an entirely RHETORICAL question, and is without presumption.

We are 3 points clear of Huddersfield now, with a +14 goal difference compared to their -1, so effectively another point. You have to go down to Bristol City in 6th place, who are 7 points back on +6 for a team with a GD in the same postcode. I just cannot see Huddersfield lasting the pace. They looked BANG average at the Amex, rocked up as early league leaders, set up just trying to nick a point, and have just been humiliated at Fulham. They'll be lucky to make playoffs IMO.

Reading and Bristol are doing ok, but are equally leaky at the back (conceding 17/18 goals already in 15 games) and their form has been patchy. Birmingham don't look anything special, Sheff Weds always flatter to deceive, and then you're looking way down to the likes of (perhaps) a resurgance from a Fulham or Villa, but they're already 10-13 points back. Leeds are hilarious.

I truly thought Narch were the primary threat - and they probably still are with their buying power. But look what we just did to them. Newcastle will probably sweep all before them, which can only help us. And we still have March, Kayal and Rosenior to come back.

So. In theory, who exactly is going to stop us ?

I've been saying for some time that if we finish ahead of Norwich, we'll go up automatically. The league doesn't look as strong as it has done in the past. Consistency and grinding out results are absolutely key in this league and we have no worries there.

We are also a very, very good side. Full credit to Chris Hughton for picking the players up after last years disappointment and another summer of superb business. Whilst we may not have captured the 2nd striker we all wanted, all that came in over the summer have been assimilated into the side with ease and are contributing fully.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The January transfer window when we sell Knocky and Stephens :(

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They concern me. Bruce knows this division inside out, if he can make their defence at least semi competent he has enough fire power in Gestede, Kodjia and McCormack to roll over a lot of teams.
Bruce had an abysmal sequence of results with Hull last year when they dropped out of contention for top 2.

Let's hope he slips back into that form.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ridiculous to say Villa are to far back. A bad month like December last season and things can change quickly. Huddersfield were something like 8pts clear of us not so long ago and now we are 3 ahead of them

Disagree. How many teams go up automatically from the position Villa are in now? Sure they'll improve and they might threaten the play-offs, but for automatic promotion, not only do they need to make up 13 points over 33 games but they need to overtake 13 clubs. We might collapse for all anyone knows, but 13 other clubs won't.

As for the OP's question, lots of things could yet happen but ultimately it really is all about our team. If we steer clear of too many catastrophic injuries, I think we'll win the league. There, I said it.

Apart from a 7 game run, we were the best team in the league last year and once our January reinforcements arrived, we got even stronger. We are now even better than last season, and last season's experience will work in our favour. Personally, I think we'll finish above Newcastle as I'm not ruling out a major wobble for them.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Disagree. How many teams go up automatically from the position Villa are in now? Sure they'll improve and they might threaten the play-offs, but for automatic promotion, not only do they need to make up 13 points over 33 games but they need to overtake 13 clubs. We might collapse for all anyone knows, but 13 other clubs won't.

As for the OP's question, lots of things could yet happen but ultimately it really is all about our team. If we steer clear of too many catastrophic injuries, I think we'll win the league. There, I said it.

Apart from a 7 game run, we were the best team in the league last year and once our January reinforcements arrived, we got even stronger. We are now even better than last season, and last season's experience will work in our favour. Personally, I think we'll finish above Newcastle as I'm not ruling out a major wobble for them.

Reading for a start. They were on 18pts after 15 games and went on to win the league. Villa have the squad and manager to achieve it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Writing Villa off at this stage is just silly.

Middlesbrough were 11 points and 21 goals ahead of us on the 13th January, and they had a game in hand too. Eighteen games later we were level on points, only 2 goals worse off and they no longer had a game in hand.

Beyond that, there is the Reading example from a few years ago when they went on an amazing run and ended up Champions having been 16th at the end of October.

It's a tough task for them, certainly, but they have a very decent squad having bought well in the Summer. They now also have a manager who knows that this division is all about. If he gets them on a roll, then the play-offs is easily achievable for them. I'd like to think we have enough of a head start now to keep us in front of them, but this division is crazy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Reading for a start. They were on 18pts after 15 games and went on to win the league. Villa have the squad and manager to achieve it.
Fair point, but I'd still suggest that was an anomaly, not unlike answering the question "when did a team with odds of 5000/1 last win the Premier league". It happens, but extremely rarely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here