Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So. Who can STOP us ?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
villa norwich and fulham are the only 3 who could give us a game in my opinion but both villa and fulham are to far back to trouble us for 2nd now as theres no chance we will lose 4-5 more games than them just need to take advantage of norwichs poor form to cement the auto spot

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
And we still have March, Kayal and Rosenior to come back.

So. In theory, who exactly is going to stop us ?

And Kaz.

To think. Had Baldock not been red carded at Newcastle and that Preston Hail Mary gone straight out...

There are some good squads beneath us. I think a lot will come down to who has the east busy treatment room.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
villa norwich and fulham are the only 3 who could give us a game in my opinion but both villa and fulham are to far back to trouble us for 2nd now as theres no chance we will lose 4-5 more games than them just need to take advantage of norwichs poor form to cement the auto spot

Ridiculous to say Villa are to far back. A bad month like December last season and things can change quickly. Huddersfield were something like 8pts clear of us not so long ago and now we are 3 ahead of them

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Ridiculous to say Villa are to far back. A bad month like December last season and things can change quickly. Huddersfield were something like 8pts clear of us not so long ago and now we are 3 ahead of them

you cant seriously say that we will lose 5 more games than villa they looked pretty poor to me earlier against an equally poor brum theres not many players id take out of either team to put in ours

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
What is this hype about Fulham, one decent result, they are rubbish. Mid table.

Villa squad is pretty good and Bruce will galvanise them but I really don't see anything special there either. Loads of overrated crap that sent them down. And gary fookin gardner.

Seems like a far weaker league this season.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bruce got promotion with Hull last year, but they had a shocking run of results that saw them drop out of the top 4. He is no magician.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
For me its two from Newcastle, Norwich and us. I think these three will create quite a bit of daylight to fourth place. It would be really handy if Norwich lose some further ground in this bad run as they will come back and be our biggest challengers.

Prediction for next 3 playoff places: Derby (who will also get their act together), Villa and Fulham.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Bruce got promotion with Hull last year, but they had a shocking run of results that saw them drop out of the top 4. He is no magician.

leggy after their cup exploits too.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Three key differences last season to this:

1) AK here before Jan;
2) Defence is tightest in four divisions - most clean sheets and fewest conceded outside Premiership (played five games fewer):
3) Less competition despite Newcastle as almost certain 100pts champions - no obvious candidates from last season's Championship (yet) and not convinced about Norwich and Villa - Norwich concede too many and Villa got a hell of a lot of ground to make up. Cases can be made for several teams but all will need a mighty run of wins. It is not enough to 'be a good team', 'have a good manager' etc etc. - teams have to string together long winning streaks to make up ground.

There is a possibility of Newcastle crowned champions with several games to go and a scrap for 2nd place between several teams; I believe Albion would be in that mix at worst; at best have secured 2nd with 4-5 games to go. If we keep the core of the side fit, in form, and here, this looks most likely outcome.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Anyone mentioned Reading yet?
Not really, but they do need a mention. Japp has got them quietly going about their business and in Swift they have one of the best midfielders in the league.

Definite dark horses.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
We're good. But so are lots of teams in the championship. If we concede first it is hard to go on and win. So many potential points to be dropped. I do feel though that the experience of last year, the increased competition for places, Duffy and Murray, Dunk stopping his one a game moment of idiocy (jellyfish moment) will help to stop any prolonged drop in form. Keeping Stephens is also huge.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We HAVE lost since Newcastle...Brentford (#pedant)

But otherwise, agree with every word. We're stronger than we were last season, and I'm starting to think its not going to be a 3 horse race like last time, unless Narch really get their act together. I still think they are the main threat to us for 2nd.

Ah sorry thought Brentford was before Toon game. But yes, since then we have not lost and have another unbeaten run going nicely. These unbeaten runs are hard to come by but we're in our 3rd one since the start of last season now - there are some amazing stats around! Enjoy it while it lasts :)

theboybilly

And Kaz.

To think. Had Baldock not been red carded at Newcastle and that Preston Hail Mary gone straight out...

There are some good squads beneath us. I think a lot will come down to who has the east busy treatment room.

Had Baldock not got Red carded at Newcastle we would have still lost as we were so off our game that day. This thread worries me a bit because Albion have been sluggish in some games (Wigan especially and first half yesterday) We can still be caught by any of about 6 teams if they go on a run. Albion need to be wary of complacency - I'm sure Chris Hughton will guard against it. There's a very long way to go

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Villa have won three games - only Rotherham have won fewer. By season end there is almost complete correlation between games won and League position - draws just don't cut it (and even now only Brum, Fulham and Villa are 'out of postion' on games won in the table). They COULD be in the mix but only if it ends up being tight such that say 80 points was enough. Even that requires 2pts per game for them from now, which basically means they have to go from where they are to being best or 2nd best team IMMEDIATELY. Possible but my Villa mate thinks no chance.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If we can keep this run of form going and still be in with a serious shout when January comes round, then (a) we will be less likely to sell any of the crown jewels in January, and (b) players will hopefully be less likely to want to jump ship anyway (I'm looking at you, Dale). And if we DO want or need to strengthen anywhere, then we should be quite an attractive proposition for a quality signing or two, be that a permanent jobbie or a loaner for the rest of the season.

Ridiculously, there's only THREE GAMES next month, so we'll have neither the chance to pull away, or fall back too drastically even if we hit the skids. December will be season-defining in the run-up to the window. We're well equipped now - if that remains to be the case, then January can come and go without us bringing anyone in IF we keep this squad together. Which I think we will.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If we can keep this run of form going and still be in with a serious shout when January comes round, then (a) we will be less likely to sell any of the crown jewels in January, and (b) players will hopefully be less likely to want to jump ship anyway (I'm looking at you, Dale). And if we DO want or need to strengthen anywhere, then we should be quite an attractive proposition for a quality signing or two, be that a permanent jobbie or a loaner for the rest of the season.

Ridiculously, there's only THREE GAMES next month, so we'll have neither the chance to pull away, or fall back too drastically even if we hit the skids. December will be season-defining in the run-up to the window. We're well equipped now - if that remains to be the case, then January can come and go without us bringing anyone in IF we keep this squad together. Which I think we will.

I'm still thinking the 3 games in Nov is a good thing. I want March, KLL, Rosenior & most importantly Kayal back ASAP. All are due back before Xmas I believe (Kayal still on crutches & protective boot is a bit worrying but presumably precautionary.)

Baldock has been absolutely fantastic this season but we are missing another striker in depth to challenge him. I'd like to think we'd go out & spend a bit on someone for that role in Jan as we'll still be up there for sure... And yes we'd be a very attractive proposition for some big names - a bit like Jordan Rhodes going to Boro last Jan...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here