Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New build houses pros and cons

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I bought a new house when they were building Hammond Ridge in Buggs Hole and was one of the first to move in. It was great, no problems at all. We visited quite regularly and got to know the builders etc and we got a couple of minor things changed (a tap in the back garden for example). Do not be put off by the footprint when they lay the foundations as the house will look tiny! I didn't hear of any problems from others when we were there (I did hear of problems with some of the new houses where Cuckfield Hospital was though, but hopefully the NHBC should cover that). I would buy new again, definitely.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The biggest downside of a new build for me would be the postage stamped size garden.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The biggest downside of a new build for me would be the postage stamped size garden.

Mine certainly didn't have that, but it was a very wide 4-bed detached house with an adjoining double garage. The garden was as wide as those (in fact, a bit wider as it extended beyond the house on the non-garage side) and was deep too.

We did look at a few new builds when we were moving back to Sussex though, and they did all have pretty small gardens.

Different areas Somerset v Sussex, I guess, but also the passing of time and the increased value of land.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the small gardens for new build is a perception problem.

For planning principles back to back distances should not be less than 21m, so even for a tightly planned estate, you'd expect most family size homes to have a 10 or 11m deep garden with the width either the same as the house if attached, plus 2m if detached. As a size this is probably comparable or bigger than most of the Victorian, Edwardian and pre WWII gardens in Brighton and Hove.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Judging by the new build estate opposite us I believe they are required to put in a massive shed as well which fills up half the garden.

Also have a good look at the plans to see where the compulsory housing assn. homes are.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think the small gardens for new build is a perception problem.

For planning principles back to back distances should not be less than 21m, so even for a tightly planned estate, you'd expect most family size homes to have a 10 or 11m deep garden with the width either the same as the house if attached, plus 2m if detached. As a size this is probably comparable or bigger than most of the Victorian, Edwardian and pre WWII gardens in Brighton and Hove.

You may well be right about perception - I'm probably just lucky living in Hangleton with a 30 foot by 100+ foot garden ( sorry, don't do metres ! ).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm thinking of purchasing a new build house and would be interested in any advice as to pros and cons.

Possible part exchange would certainly save money but any other thoughts?
New builds will often be priced at a premium. As with properties done up by a developer, they will often use cheap fixtures and fittings that look good, but don't necessarily last that well. But depending on what you want and where, a new build could be the best option.

I would play close attention to who the developer is, and whether the house has been built properly. It's easy for developers to cut corners without you knowing.

Who is the developer you are thinking of buying from?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
you will have too many toilets- often more toilets than bedrooms
That sounds very unusual for a new build.

I bought a new build 2 years ago when the estate was first put up, a mid terraced 2 bed cost me £169,000, the current 2 bed mid terraced being sold now as the estate is finished are selling for £195,000.
That just means that house prices are rising at the moment.

Mar 26, 2008
Eastbourne
New builds will often be priced at a premium. As with properties done up by a developer, they will often use cheap fixtures and fittings that look good, but don't necessarily last that well. But depending on what you want and where, a new build could be the best option.

I would play close attention to who the developer is, and whether the house has been built properly. It's easy for developers to cut corners without you knowing.

Who is the developer you are thinking of buying from?

Many thanks to all for some great points.

The garden is bigger than most in the area, new or old and the rooms bigger as well which is what attracted me to it.

The developer is Taylor Wimpey

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
That sounds very unusual for a new build.

I used to have a 3 bedroom 3 story town house (using 3 stories seems to be pretty popular for new builds to maximise the value the builder gets from the plot) which I bought new 8 years ago. There was a toilet on each floor plus an en-suite toilet. So 4 toilets for a 3 bedroom house.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Worth looking at the total floorspace. This seems to be well hidden by a lot of estate agents. We found than newbuild three-bed houses in newhaven tended to be about 85-90m2. Ours (from circa 1970) is about 120m2 and was slightly cheaper if anything.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Many thanks to all for some great points.
You're most welcome.

The developer is Taylor Wimpey
They don't have a great reputation, but then they are huge, so there are bound to be some with problems. Do some Google research on them.

I used to have a 3 bedroom 3 story town house (using 3 stories seems to be pretty popular for new builds to maximise the value the builder gets from the plot) which I bought new 8 years ago. There was a toilet on each floor plus an en-suite toilet. So 4 toilets for a 3 bedroom house.
I guessed it would be a 3 bed house. I would say that's quite unusual for a new development though.

Here's a current 3 storey house with 4 beds, 3 toilets, which is probably a better use of space for the developer:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-50080328.html?premiumA=true

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands

Our house was a new build when we moved in 7 years ago, also 3 storeys, and we've got 4 bathrooms for 5 bedrooms.
Totally unnecessary, and my wife hates having so many because of the time it takes to clean them, so I'd put that down as one of the cons to new build!

Overall though, I would always recommend a new build in preference to second hand.

I've bought 4 houses in my adult life ... 2 new build and 2 not new.

The first not new one developed a leaky roof after a couple of years or so, which cost me a fortune to fix.
The second not new was always cold, even with the heating on full blast, and despite fitting a new boiler it never seemed to get snug the whole time we lived there.

On the other hand, I've had not one spot of bother (snags aside) with either of the new builds, and they are so well insulated nowadays you only need central heating from about mid November to early March at worst.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Worth looking at the total floorspace. This seems to be well hidden by a lot of estate agents. We found than newbuild three-bed houses in newhaven tended to be about 85-90m2. Ours (from circa 1970) is about 120m2 and was slightly cheaper if anything.
Word of caution!

Estate agents use different methods to calculate the floor space. Some will include the stairs area on each floor, some will take internal measurements while other use external, and some include the restricted height areas without saying so. It's a complete joke, and is quite a problem in London where square footage is king in valuations.

Do your own calculations from the floor plan, and check the odd measurement if you're not sure it's right.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here