Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three things you would like to see happen if Scotland vote Yes

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I know you were joking, but the Falklands voted last year, with 99.8% (3 votes) voting to retain their current status.

That's because they think another task force will arrive if they're invaded again.

All they'll get is Boris Johnson in a rowing boat as everything else has been sold or scrapped , or made redundant.

But back to Scotland.

What happens if there is a 50.5% Yes vote on a 75% turnout ? Can we expect all the non-yes-ers to arrive at Gretna, Berwick, and other border crossings with their possessions in prams and wheelbarrows looking for safe haven in the sunkissed south ? Will they be met by Scots going hame in their Beamers and Mercs hard earned in the southern economy? Will they throw stones at each other as they pass. Will it be similar to the division of India and Pakistan. Will Salmond get the role of Gandhi ?

And will Berwick Rangers play in Division Three or the Vanarama Conference ?

And will London Scottish be disbanded ?

And will the RBS see an outflow of English accounts to home based banks as England for the English stormtroopers approach RBS branches with pitchforks, bit like in Shrek.

But they'll probably vote "NO" and spoil the fun.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
1. Take those 40 Scottish labour MPs out of Westminster and see what England's natural political stance is

I suspect if it is yes it will be spend spend spend for a 10 year honeymoon and then every Big Mac in England from there on will be being served by an actual Mac looking for work...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
0515-US-mexico-border-fence_full_600.jpg

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Stop putting the clocks back.

I do hope this happens, the only reason its still done here is to stop the residents of Dundalk's heads exploding when the 12:15 bus from Newry arrives before 12

Yes

But they won't get in because all the other countries opposing breakaway independence regions (e.g. Spain and Serbia) will veto the application.

Spain have said they won't oppose it as the referendum is approved by Westminster, whereas the Catalan referendum is not approved by Madrid.

Serbia are not in the EU and indeed are unlikely to be let in until they've sorted out all their separatist issues.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
withdraw all BRITISH passports
sack all Scots MP's who have a constituency in England
then start preparing for them to take the Welsh with them :wave:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Will the HS2 still go straight to Scotland?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes

But they won't get in because all the other countries opposing breakaway independence regions (e.g. Spain and Serbia) will veto the application.

It's not a region though is it, Scotland is a recognised country and a separate signatory of the Union. This isn't the breakaway of a region into the formation of a new independent country, this is an already established recognised country that has remained in that status since the signing of the Union in 1707. I think it is scaremongering to suggest they wouldn't get in. A fully democratic peaceful referendum process would be hard for the EU to refuse and ignore, plus Scotland already applies all EU law and regulations.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Will I have to buy new number plates?

They currently have GB on them, and that will be simply wrong if Scotland goes.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
In all seriousness... the Hadrian's Wall aspect could prove to be very significant (although the wall is far too far south! We need something actually at the border!).

Scotland will have to apply to be in the EU (which they will be fast-tracked into) then, like all new entrants, they will have to adopt the "no internal borders" rule and therefore England would be very silly not to add full border protection between us and Scotland (ie a f*cking great big fence), not to stop the Scots but to stop the huge influx of migrants who have broken the outer EU barrier and then have unrestricted movement within the zone (straight to the Scotland/England border for a lot of them!). The border with Scotland could not be "open" because we have not signed up to removing internal borders and therefore need to enforce passport control with the same rigour we apply elsewhere (airports/ports). Scots would have to show their passports...

Oh yeah. None of the Scots will have passports! Currently they hold United Kingdom passports and voting to leave the UK means they must forfeit their passports and be re-issued with Scottish ones (see also above regarding EU membership).

Here's my prediction... next week will see a yes vote, then there will be years of politicians trying to work out all the consequences of this decision before finally putting the whole matter in the "too difficult" box and negotiating "Dev Max" from the substantially stronger position of a public mandate for Independence but without actually having the political will to push that button. Scotland will remain part of the UK for as long as the UK remains part of the EU. When/if we break away from the EU, that's when Scotland will have the chance to break from the UK.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
None...
Selfishly I guess, I personally need Scotland like Gus needs an ego.
They've often seemed to be in the most part genetically anti English for as long as I can remember, though not all, it's fair to say. If the majority consider their country has so much to offer the World...so be it.
Shame of it is, no matter what the referendum throws up, The Scots of both camps will be a divided country henceforth, the finger pointing will be around for decades.
Something about 'if things aren't broken' spring to mind.... oh well. :smile:

Having suffered working for a Scottish company for five years I found they were already divided. Grown people working in the same office who would not talk to each other, people living in the same road not allowing their children to play with next doors , why? Because they were the other side of that great religious divide.

Can you imagine how they will all get on together once they have removed us hated English from their lives, who then to target??

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
1) Make sure there is no currency union
2) Make them pay all associated costs
3) Hope that we don't get a a Tory gov 4ever

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Oh yeah. None of the Scots will have passports! Currently they hold United Kingdom passports and voting to leave the UK means they must forfeit their passports and be re-issued with Scottish ones (see also above regarding EU membership).

Precedent is that existing UK citizens, which is the vast bulk of them, will remain UK citizens by virtue of when they gained citizenship. This isn't the first time a bit of the UK has left, remember. Anyone born in Ireland prior to 1948 can still get a British passport on demand, Terry Wogan did to get his knighthood.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
In all seriousness... the Hadrian's Wall aspect could prove to be very significant (although the wall is far too far south! We need something actually at the border!).

Scotland will have to apply to be in the EU (which they will be fast-tracked into) then, like all new entrants, they will have to adopt the "no internal borders" rule and therefore England would be very silly not to add full border protection between us and Scotland (ie a f*cking great big fence), not to stop the Scots but to stop the huge influx of migrants who have broken the outer EU barrier and then have unrestricted movement within the zone (straight to the Scotland/England border for a lot of them!). The border with Scotland could not be "open" because we have not signed up to removing internal borders and therefore need to enforce passport control with the same rigour we apply elsewhere (airports/ports). Scots would have to show their passports...

Here's my prediction... next week will see a yes vote, then there will be years of politicians trying to work out all the consequences of this decision before finally putting the whole matter in the "too difficult" box and negotiating "Dev Max" from the substantially stronger position of a public mandate for Independence but without actually having the political will to push that button. Scotland will remain part of the UK for as long as the UK remains part of the EU. When/if we break away from the EU, that's when Scotland will have the chance to break from the UK.

Do migrants who are not EU citizens have unrestricted travel to the UK? I thought this was only for EU citizens due to our opt outs?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Once, and if, they vote yes, there will suddenly be a raft of benefits from being part of the UK that they will think it's just fine and dandy to still want to keep. I really think that Salmond thinks this will all be like being a small child stood in front of a pick and mix sweet stall. "Ooh that one looks nice, and so does that, and that looks just like the one I want, oh and can I have one pr two of those ones please"

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Do migrants who are not EU citizens have unrestricted travel to the UK? I thought this was only for EU citizens due to our opt outs?

You're right, but this is not the EU Directive on free movement, but the agreement on Internal Borders...

The Schengen Area is the area comprising 26 European countries that have abolished passport and any other type of border control at their common borders, also referred to as internal borders. It mostly functions as a single country for international travel purposes, with a common visa policy. The Area is named after the Schengen Agreement. Countries in the Schengen Area have eliminated internal border controls with the other Schengen members, and strengthened external border controls with non-Schengen states.

We are non-Schengen, but new entrants to the EU must sign the agreement. Therefore the border between Scotland and England would need to be secured.

Ultimately I'm not saying that Scotland couldn't negotiate to be non-Schengen (thus allowing them to have full borders at ports and airports but not necessarily with England), but this is one of a whole host of specific agreements that would need to be looked at in detail and the EU may or may not agree to allow Scotland to "inherit" any opt-out the UK has. Hence my belief that ultimately, true independence will get put in the "too difficult" box.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Can't do three too many things to put down.

1. Hadrians wall re modelled and made 80ft high, made of reinforced steel and 10ft thick, with only one entry door and gun turrets running across the whole border.
2. Immediate withdrawl of all British Armed Forces, Police Forces, Ambulance, Fire Crews and Coast Guards.
3. Immediate closing down of any NHS funded hospitals, treatment centres etc.
4. Immediate seizing of British Passports,driving licences etc.
5. Any Scot living in England , Wales or N Ireland to be deported immediately and assets frozen, houses and properties confiscated and any escaped "prisoners " when caught either shot on site or to be held in a Guantanamo Bay type camp in Middlesbrough.
6.All Kilts to be burned
7. No claim to Asylum on the grounds that my Great Great Great Great a Great Great Great Grandad Hamish Macbeth was a sweaty.
8. All Haggis to be shot on site.
9. Any " Ginger and or pastey faced children to be used for Genetic experimentation to " cure the Red disease " that has so long blighted a Nation.
10. Gordon Strachan to be hanged in Edinburgh City Centre along with Alan Hansen.
11. Gaelic to be banned from use along with Tossing the Caber and other various " Highland frolics"
12. Celtic Park to be burned to the ground with the entire squad and fan base in it.
13. A memorial built to Burke & Hare for doing Scotland a favour.
You are pleasant! Also what about Rangers? I suppose you can pick and choose.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
well if any undecided voters are reading English discussions like
this there will be more more yes voters.
I hope they vote no
But if was living in Scotland I would probably vote yes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here