Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The Great British rip-off - Summer 2018

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As they say I only wanted to buy a cake not the whole bakery.
Exactly :lol:

What surprises me even more is how busy it seems. I just walk past quickly[/QUOTE]I didn't realise it was busy, I just figured it wouldn't last with the prices they were charging. Guess I was wrong.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I fully agree with every you say and hate myself for not kicking up a right fuss, but when I have my children with me I tend to put stuff like this down to experience, vow to never go back and get on with giving them a great day and some happy memories. But, yes - I agree, on this ocassion I am part of the problem.

It is an English trait not to moan face to face, which I think is quite an endearing trait compared to say a loud demanding American, even accepting the consequence is higher grade service for the American.

Why should not being inclined to moan whilst there somehow invalidate an accurate negative response sometime later either via email or a review.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hmmm. I dont trust it anymore. I have been to a couple of cafe,coffee shops on the strength of their great reviews. They have been poor.

I suspect that the reviews may be inflated by themselves or getting family or friends to write them.

I trust TripAdvisor.

I disregard places with a few over the top ratings. But where there are many good ratings, and those contributors have posted about other places in random locations over the years, it all adds up to a genuinely good hotel, restaurant, etc.

On the strength of that, we've stayed in some great hotels in different countries, at affordable prices.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Hmmm. I dont trust it anymore. I have been to a couple of cafe,coffee shops on the strength of their great reviews. They have been poor.

I suspect that the reviews may be inflated by themselves or getting family or friends to write them.

Perhaps, but what alternative might deliver a better outcome on a business that you have no way of knowing what might be good or bad.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
agree , if the food/service is crap tell them.

With care.

The stories of stuff added to the food of beligerent complainers, or other tricks, are not a myth.

Criminal and disgusting, but you'd never know.

Brits may be weak at complaining, but we're also a nation of not taking criticism well and that extends to many owners/workers in hospitality.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I trust TripAdvisor.

I disregard places with a few over the top ratings. But where there are many good ratings, and those contributors have posted about other places in random locations over the years, it all adds up to a genuinely good hotel, restaurant, etc.

On the strength of that, we've stayed in some great hotels in different countries, at affordable prices.

looking at the TripAdvisor scores for a nearby Indian once and noted its was 1s or 5s. 5s were notable because one said the service attentive and ambiance was great (its takeaway only, walls are magnolia wash with a knackered old sofa), while others say its great value for takeaway while their location shows Berkshire and Bristol. so conclude there are shill reviewers out there.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
It will be interesting to see what the match catering is like on Sunday. Their prices weren't cheap last season and service was very slow. If it wasn't the Amex it wouldn't survive for very long as a food outlet.
I wonder if they have fixed the drinks fridge at the north end of east upper or if they will still try to sell warm drinks again? And yes I do complain at the time.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here