Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How easy is it to take your DOG abroad with you?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
When i was a kid, it seemed that taking animals abroad was difficult due to the threat of rabies, quarantine requirements and associated faffing.

I don't think that's the case any more.

How easy is it to take your dog abroad with you - say to France or a similar mainland Europe location?

Anyone do this with any regularity?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
It's very simple, book into vets get all jabs and tablets done and passport done, all gets done at the vets, the thing you need to watch for is timing, you need to have had rabies injection (I think) 10 to 14 days before travelling, I got refused entry with my dogs once because it was only 3 days before. Also worming tablet needs to be no longer than a week (again I think).

Interestingly you only need a passport for your pet to get back into the uk, nobody checks on the way out.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Not nice putting them with the luggage though

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Not nice putting them with the luggage though

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

That's an interesting point, touched upon in the article I linked to. I suppose it's a straight toss up between what is best for the dog - being in kennels for a fortnight, or 2x5 hours of misery in the boot in the ship hold, but with a lovely family holiday interspersed.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
It's very straightforward. Our dog has about a dozen stamps in his passport now, as my mother lives in France so we visit her regularly.

You can travel 21 days after the rabies jab has been administered. This lasts three years before you need to renew it.

We usually go by Eurotunnel, as you stay in the car with the dog this way and we never liked the idea of leaving him in the car on the ferry. However, earlier this year, we travelled with Brittany Ferries for the first time as they now have a number of pet-friendly cabins. It was incredibly straightforward and much less tiring.

The most important thing to remember is to go to the vet no less than 24 hours before you travel (and no more than five days before). Probably wise to research vets in the area you're visiting before you go. They will check your dog over, administer the required worming tablet and fill in the relevant sections of the pet passport.

If you travel by Eurotunnel, there's no administration to go through when you leave the UK, but on the way back you have to head for the pet section at Calais, where they check that the worming tablet has been administered and the passport stamped. They also scan the microchip.

France is incredibly dog-friendly and most restaurants will allow you to take them in - even a bloody great greyhound like we have.

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
That's an interesting point, touched upon in the article I linked to. I suppose it's a straight toss up between what is best for the dog - being in kennels for a fortnight, or 2x5 hours of misery in the boot in the ship hold, but with a lovely family holiday interspersed.

I believe some ferry companies will allow dogs on deck as long as they are muzzled. I think it depends on the journey time.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
A pal travels regularly with his dog between Spain and the UK. He gets the ferry from Bilbao which has kennels and also maybe 5 or 6 cabins that are “pet friendly” It also has a dog walking area in the kennels area.
Places are scarce and need booking well in advance.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I travel to the Netherlands regularly and to France and Spain twice a year for extended stays. I've been taking the dogs for the last 8 years.
Get your rabies jab (renewable every three years) and pet passport from your vet as the only extras (pets must be microchipped). Ferry or Eurotunnel charge £15 - £20 per dog each way. Before your return take your dog to a local vet for a worming tablet (usually costs between €20 and €30). Check that they've stamped and signed the passport but they all know what they're doing even if you can't speak the language. Needs to be done less than 5 days and more than 1 day before you cross. Checking in at the terminal takes 10 minutes on the return journey only. Have your booking details ready on your phone and the dog and passport. Quick wave of the wand to check the microchip against the passport and its job done!

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I chat to a bloke In the park who regularly travels back and forth to Spain with his dog.You need a pet passport,all jabs up to date and a n additional rabies jab,also your dog must be microchipped.
By all accounts,by far the easiest and less stressful method of travelling for the dog is by Le shuttle as you are not separated from your dog.on return to the Uk you must have had your dog treated for tape worm (tablet) at least 24 hours and no more than 120 hours before returning.
There are some excellent you tube videos out there explaining the process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where are you taking the dog? Paw-tugal?

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
It's very straightforward. Our dog has about a dozen stamps in his passport now, as my mother lives in France so we visit her regularly.

You can travel 21 days after the rabies jab has been administered. This lasts three years before you need to renew it.

We usually go by Eurotunnel, as you stay in the car with the dog this way and we never liked the idea of leaving him in the car on the ferry. However, earlier this year, we travelled with Brittany Ferries for the first time as they now have a number of pet-friendly cabins. It was incredibly straightforward and much less tiring.

The most important thing to remember is to go to the vet no less than 24 hours before you travel (and no more than five days before). Probably wise to research vets in the area you're visiting before you go. They will check your dog over, administer the required worming tablet and fill in the relevant sections of the pet passport.

If you travel by Eurotunnel, there's no administration to go through when you leave the UK, but on the way back you have to head for the pet section at Calais, where they check that the worming tablet has been administered and the passport stamped. They also scan the microchip.

France is incredibly dog-friendly and most restaurants will allow you to take them in - even a bloody great greyhound like we have.

Pretty much this. Plus if you're travelling on by train in France your dog needs his/her own ticket.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If you're going to France, much easier on the Newhaven/ Dieppe Ferry. Only a 4 hour crossing and you can arrange to go and check your dog during the crossing. Also easier for coming back from France. You don't have to go to a special area and office as they do at Calais.

At Dieppe they just hand you a machine to check the chip on your dog as the car and passengers go through immigration control.

Lastly, the vet fees (at least 24 hours before returning) can depend on the size/weight of the dog. I have a black lab....29 kilos...cost 38 Euros.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here