Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Kitchen rewire

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As far as I can ascertain from Google the regulation is that the plug must be accessible. I wouldnt consider set behind a 6ft Fridge freezer as being accessible.to the side perhaps it is but not behind,.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As far as I can ascertain from Google the regulation is that the plug must be accessible. I wouldnt consider set behind a 6ft Fridge freezer as being accessible.to the side perhaps it is but not behind,.

There are hundreds of kitchens with a socket behind a fridge freezer, many kitchens have a space for a fridge freezer and the most obvious place is to fit the socket on the wall in that space.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There are hundreds of kitchens with a socket behind a fridge freezer, many kitchens have a space for a fridge freezer and the most obvious place is to fit the socket on the wall in that space.

I reckon there are more than hundreds..I personally know of at least 200:moo:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
We are having a new kitchen fitted which has meant a rewire of the kitchen. The electrician has put the freezer, the boiler, the washing machine and an extractor fan all on seperate spurred fused sockets but has put a double socket on the wall which will be behind the frudge freezer hence only 1 socket can be used and in the event of a problem we could not switch off just that appliance. Is this acceptable and legal?

Is it acceptable to you ?? Why do you think any wiring you get done may be illegal ?? New houses may have regulations but surely you can do what you want in your own house !!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The plug to my fridge is behind it, underneath the cupboard next to it. If I pull out the fridge it is perfectly accessible. If I leave the fridge where it is, it is not. Personally I have no problem with this, and with a super-human effort I have survived the last few years after installation.

Is it an Omsungfrig?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I fully accept what you are all saying but to me it seems more logical to put the socket to one side or the other of the appliance rather than behind it. At 75 years old I would have great trouble pulling it out in the event of an emergency. Also I cannot understand why they have put the boiler, washing machine small freezer and extractor fan on seperate fused spurs so why not the fridge freezer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I fully accept what you are all saying but to me it seems more logical to put the socket to one side or the other of the appliance rather than behind it. At 75 years old I would have great trouble pulling it out in the event of an emergency. Also I cannot understand why they have put the boiler, washing machine small freezer and extractor fan on seperate fused spurs so why not the fridge freezer.

why didnt you just ask the bod installing?

and just tell us all you had a nice new kitchen fitted, as seems this is really the point of the thread.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
There are always choices, BG.

You can demand that they take out half of the adjacent kitchen cupboard so that there is space to fit the socket down the side of the fridge freezer, and of course room to get your arm down the side and space to extract the plug from the socket. It will look lovely.

Alternatively, you can have the socket floor-mounted in front of the freezer (assuming that the lead will reach from behind to the front)?

Maybe you can ask them to fit an extension lead to the existing wall socket behind the fridge, and run that to sit on top of the fridge? Maybe then provide an emergency access ladder so that in case of an emergency you could nip up the steps, reach out onto the top of the fridge freezer and unplug it? Of course, you would then need a CO2 fire extinguisher mounted permanently to the front of the fridge, so that you could suppress / extinguish the flames sufficiently to get to the plug?

Much simpler than accepting that the overwhelming majority of fridges / freezers are installed that way?

Final thought - just point to the part of the agreement where you specified before they started work that in no circumstances would you ever accept a socket (single or double) being fitted behind a fridge freezer.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Boiler has a fused switch spur because it's not something that is plugged in, fuse is removed when boiler/ heating is being maintained.
Extractor is not something that is plugged in as a rule.
Washing machine is usually under a worktop, and a washing machine is difficult to pull out , so a plug socket is behind the machine, but the fused switch spur fitted above the worktop is connected to the socket.
Don't know about small freezer, but I guess this is under a worktop.

Agree it does sound logical to have a socket to one side of the large fridge freezer, if there is room.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here