Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pullis Gone from WBA

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I never understood why Stoke and WBA swapped managers in the first place - both Pulis and Hughes seemed to be a better 'fit' before they swapped jobs.

Hughes has never managed West Brom :shrug:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Most likely down, but based on their 29 points in 2017, it's more than possible that they would've been relegated even with Pulis in charge.

The problem WBA have, along with most other teams in the league, is that the ceiling is 7th. Barring the Leicester miracle, pretty much everyone else is hoping to be the best of the rest (it's quite demoralising knowing your ceiling is actually a place where you're not ever winning anything). WBA have been that, or close to it, on numerous occasions since they've been promoted, and they've done it at times playing decent football. Since Pulis came in, he's done what he's always done (getting between 42 and 47 points per season, and not going above or below that), but for their fans, there comes a point where you want a bit more hope or, at the very least, a bit of decent football to go along with your 42 to 47 points. As a club, they reached their maximum potential, and now they're not reaching it so the lack of progress is more and more obvious and the fans and owners clearly want more - personally I don't blame them.

My worry as a Brighton fan is that if we survive for 3-4 years, we might get in this same rut caused by the 7th placed ceiling.

On this point, see Charlton and Alan Curbishley.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree, for now. The problem is that if you have 3-4, or 7-10 years of that same monotonous grind where you're mid table but never really achieving anything, how exciting is that as a fan?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted with 7th for the next few years... but eventually we'd all want more. It's human nature. And it would then only take one season of slightly lower performance for people to start getting agitated... heck, it happens on here if we don't win a game and we've only just been promoted!

We had our most successful season ever under Mike Bailey but his style of football killed attendances and he was sacked. If we kept him a few years, I very much doubt we would have been relegated.

It wasn't that long ago that Charlton fans were moaning about Curbishley because they were only 8th in the Prem.

Edit: I was typing this at same time as Billy the Fish.

Last edited:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Clubs, like ours should learn to choose who they want, not who wants them. We now have West Ham, Everton, WBA and maybe Swansea looking for managers at the same stage of the season in the same position, is there anyone that good on the market. Its manager merry go round time, more shirts with Pardew, Allerdyce etc on them, but does that manager really care short, medium or long term. Its all about the money !!!!!!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
WBA board are B. FOOLS imho. Everyone from Barcelona to Bejing knows that TP is a good manager.

Ah, that's your problem then
Capture.PNG

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We had our most successful season ever under Mike Bailey but his style of football killed attendances and he was sacked. If we kept him a few years, I very much doubt we would have been relegated.

It wasn't that long ago that Charlton fans were moaning about Curbishley because they were only 8th in the Prem.

Edit: I was typing this at same time as Billy the Fish.

You're right, there are always going to be examples that prove it isn't good to get rid of a manager. But there are also plenty of examples that prove it is good to get rid of a manager. See Brighton and Hyypia.

In the WBA case, their results are awful, their performances are awful, their fans hate going to the football, they aren't bringing any kids through really, despite apparently having quite a few real talents like Leko and Field, and they most certainly aren't on an upwards trajectory. They've stayed in the Premier League for a longer period without Pulis as manager than with him as manager and so it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that they should stay up comfortably with a good appointment; afterall, many of their fans feel this is their most talented squad ever. So, for me at least, it's a good decision.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Surprised that Chris Wilder hasn't been mentioned in relation to these PL vacancies. He's doing an amazing job at Sheffield United.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
P*l*ce & Wet Sham have already f*cked their replacement manager recruitment up, if WBA do the same we might be alright.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surprised that Chris Wilder hasn't been mentioned in relation to these PL vacancies. He's doing an amazing job at Sheffield United.
[MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] has alluded to this before I think, but how it seems to work, is that the ones who are CONSTANTLY linked to every available job (whether they are in work at the time or not) are the ones whose agents / representatives / media contacts are touting them for every vacancy.

Basically, if a manager isn't interested in having his people pimp him out, then he doesn't get linked with the jobs.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
[MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] has alluded to this before I think, but how it seems to work, is that the ones who are CONSTANTLY linked to every available job (whether they are in work at the time or not) are the ones whose agents / representatives / media contacts are touting them for every vacancy.

Basically, if a manager isn't interested in having his people pimp him out, then he doesn't get linked with the jobs.

True. Or like Dancing Al even pimping himself out on tv (like yesterday when he said he'd have taken the West Ham job).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree, for now. The problem is that if you have 3-4, or 7-10 years of that same monotonous grind where you're mid table but never really achieving anything, how exciting is that as a fan?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted with 7th for the next few years... but eventually we'd all want more. It's human nature. And it would then only take one season of slightly lower performance for people to start getting agitated... heck, it happens on here if we don't win a game and we've only just been promoted!

True, IF we survive for more than a few seasons people will start to get a bit grumpy with Premier League finishing positions that we used to only dream of. That's why God created Cup competitions.

EDIT: And the Europa League.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Never been relegated - the person you turn to to stop your team going down, and sacked. Doesn’t seem wise to me.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
That’s 4/5 of the bottom teams. Swansea next? And if Stoke lose to “its only Brighton” would it be 6/6 bottom teams changing their managers?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You have a point and I don’t disagree with that last sentence....but an argument could be put forward that he has at least harnessed the talent of Bale whereas other Welsh managers have failed with Rush, Hughes and Giggs?

Nah. If those managers and players had had the extended Euros format they'd have qualified as well. Any half reasonable side qualified, which is the ONLY reason why NI, ROI and Wales all qualified for the Euros but really had no chance of making the World Cup. If the Euros are so open again then they might all get to qualify, maybe even little Scotland as well but ONLY because of the expansion of the format.

Coleman is the Welsh Pardew. Tossers, the pair of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here