Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Canada legalises recreational cannabis use.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I don't believe him. You can find a piece of evidence to support any argument.

Well you can't find a large scale case-control study to support any argument.

He's a pulmonologist and professor of medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, with 30 years experience studying Cannabis. You should probably have a pretty decent reason to choose to not believe him (or think you know better).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Tashkin

I agree that sometimes there is evidence on both sides of an argument, but the answer to that is to try to make an objective assesment of the quality of the evidence on both sides, and draw your conclusions from that.

By your logic, you can't believe anything except those things which you decide that you want to believe. If that's your approach you will end up believing things which aren't true, and disbelieving things which are.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I'm not consuming an illegal product.
It has been made legal for medical purposes for very good reason.

So your point is moot.

You didn't really answer this point, just contradicted yourself.

You clearly have extremely limited knowledge (and no personal experience) on the subject.
It seems as though you 'don't like the idea of it' and have heard bad things from other people who also 'don't like the idea of it', and thus the circle of uneducated opinions continues.

Cannabis is illegal. I agree with changing the law for use for severe medical conditions only.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Q1 You are consuming an illegal product. It is illegal for a reason.

Laws change for a reason. Generally because of education, science, a better understanding of things.

There are a huge litany of disgraceful things which used to be legal and a huge number of things which used to be illegal which we now take for granted as being normal as part of a liberal society.

Legality is not a guide for morality.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Politians and world leaders using cannabis would be a disaster. Can you imagine it!? Theresa May would be the one in the room claiming she's being chased by Aliens, Trump's the one who goes silent and doesn't say a word all night. Corbyn would be that one who reckons the weed's been sprayed and doesn't shut up about it all night , and Tommy Robinson's the one who gets paranoid after 5 puffs claiming his phone's being tapped by the Police whilst sitting on the very edge of the couch creating a very tense atmosphere.

As safe as weed can be, if it falls into the wrong hands, it can be lethal.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I don't see a benefit to smoking it for pleasure.

It would appear that millions around the world do! I don't think the amount of people who smoke it would change all that much. People who are partial to experimenting ignore the law as it is (i see myself as a law abiding citizen for example, but enjoyed smoking it a lot when i was younger), so legalizing it would make it safer and make a lot of money.

In my mind it's crazy that it's illegal when you compare the effects of cannabis and alcohol overall.

And as for a 'gateway drug' - where is your proof for that? Again, it's all about what people are partial to. Some youngsters like to experiment, some don't. I know people who smoked a fair bit but never really touched anything else. I know people who took a lot of pills but never really smoked. I know people who regularly got smashed drinking but would critise people who took illegal drugs without seeing the irony.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It has a higher risk of lung cancer than not smoking it at all.

Alcohol would not be made legal today if it held the same status as any drug.

If we had proper treatment for those who suffer anxiety, stress and depression then it would not be needed to take risks with any legal or illegal substances.

But that's not what you said. You said worse that fags :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I appreciate your point of view but I prefer a stance which works for my family. I don't do the god thing at all. I am against that even more than drugs....

I don't smoke but do drink moderately. I guess there is research to support any argument for any subject these days.

That's different. I'm with you on that. And that is called parenting. :thumbsup:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Some of you are being really patient with the ignoramus on this thread.

Well done.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some of you are being really patient with the ignoramus on this thread.

Well done.

To be fair, it is a natural human instinct to reject the unknown. That said, when a pharmacologist (me) and whatever he is, he knows his stuff (@dingodan) patiently point to the literature and share our experiences and insights.....it reminds me about the conversations when decriminalizing homosexuality was being 'debated'.....'not natural'....'a threat to our kids'...'alright, but not in public'...'what about aids?'....'Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve'....ask a few simpe qustions: is it safe? How safe? Do I HAVE to take it (the answer is NO, FFS); What are the benefits (and here I would say that in the right company, it is stunning, and unlike with coke you wake up the next day feeling just bloody fantastic); is it addictive - no it bloody isn't. He said....reaching for the red red wine....'do i have the right to stop others taking it for medicine or for fun?' No, you bloody bloody don't.

But please keep it from those at risk of psychosis...maybe some sort of driving test equivalent?

Time for bed....

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Find me one example of cannabis being directly 'lethal'.

Lethal legal drugs include; alcohol, tobacco and prescription painkillers.

I believe that an American set of statistics had one case listed of Cannabis causing a death, when further information was sought about the death it was revealed a smuggler had thrown a bale overboard as the boat was about to be boarded by Customs or whoever it is that tackles smugglers in the US, and the bale landed on one of the officers, killing him.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
The ignorance in this thread has riled me. I use cannabis because I suffer from chronic cluster headaches. It helps me to ease the Intense pain that these headaches bring. Legalising cannabis would benefit the whole nation.The medicinal benefits will huge. FECO Cannabis oil has been known in some cases to cure Cancer (Look up Rick Simpson Oil). It also helps to ease the side effects of Chemotherapy treatment. It could change the lives of all people living with crippling illnesses. Its a no brainer. Yet all the time the Dinosaur Theresa May is at the helm the change will not come or not soon enough. Yet she is happy to allow colleague Victoria Atkins (Home Office Minister) husband grow industrial amounts of medicinal cannabis in this country to sell abroad. Its a disgrace. We are the worlds biggest exporters of cannabis yet to be caught with a small amount for possession carries a risk of a 5 year prison sentence, It needs to be legalised across the whole board recreational and medicinal. 80% of drug arrests in this country are for cannabis possession. The cost of this must be astronomical on the police and the prison service. I'm currently going through the process of applying for a job. Because of a cannabis possession conviction its very like that i will be refused the job. I'm a medicinal user using it to ease the intense pain i get with my headaches. Because of this my career prospects could be severely affected. This is not right. Who is the victim of my crime? If a law is unjust you sometimes have to break it.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One of the most depressing/pathetic things in life is seeing anyone over the age of 25 smoking weed. It's the drug of choice for life's losers. However, should it be legal? Absolutely. The medicinal benefits of correctly processed cannabis seem well proven and I would certainly hope to see it being legalised for that purpose.

Everyone is different but I have seen a member of my family waste his life on weed. His personality has changed for the worse over the years, all down to weed. He has lost jobs, mainly through his negativity caused by cannabis. He is selfish, childish and depressing to be around. To be fair I also suspect there are base problems, not just marijuana but it really does him no good at all.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Cannabis is a Russian Roulette drug.

If I took ten friends I know who smoked it eight are fine in life(for now). The other two both experienced psychosis from using it.

One of those sadly hung himself. There's no doubt the use of Cannabis contributed to the latter two friends psychosis episodes.

For many people it won't have an adverse effect on them, for others it can have a terrible impact on their lives.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here