Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry for the minor hijack.

I just noticed The Adjustment Bureau has appeared on NetFlix.

Am I right in thinking it's a 'simpler' version of Inception?
I'm thinking of watching it with the kids (either side of the 12 rating), and can't for the life of me place the film.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
New series of the X Files starts in the States on January 3. Supposed to pick up where the last series ended and will have another dark, comedy episode. Looking forward to seeing the Cigarette Smoking Man back on TV

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Sorry for the minor hijack.

I just noticed The Adjustment Bureau has appeared on NetFlix.

Am I right in thinking it's a 'simpler' version of Inception?
I'm thinking of watching it with the kids (either side of the 12 rating), and can't for the life of me place the film.

Off the top of my head, Matt Damon or Ben Affleck is in it? Something to do with outgunning the gods of fate in a sci-fi-ish way? I'm utterly out of touch with the younger generation but I do recall enjoying it as me. An adult-ish.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
"I've heard Tin Star(?) with Tim Roth is good - has anyone seen it?"

Two of us at home did not like it... but others may disagree. I can only say it got a thumbs down in this household.

I decided to go for it anyway - it's an odd one: feels like it can't work out whether it's a serious thriller-y thing or a quirky 'Brit hitmen in sleepy Canadian town' bit of fluff. Then you hit a late episode which is excellent, brilliantly and ominously grim, but again feels like it's from another series altogether. There's a really good story in there somewhere, just not the way they've done it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The surprisingly very good Young Offenders, Irish film on Netflix, has now been made into 'sitcom' by/on/for BBC3.
Available on I-Player.

I'm yet to watch it, but I certainly will:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05ws2b6

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Just started watching Person of Interest on Netflix. Always liked the odd episode or three when I caught it on TV late at night but now watching from the beginning. Very good indeed

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Sneaky Pete season 2 now available on Amazon Prime. Starring the brilliant Giovanni Ribisi and co written by Brian Cranston, who also plays a supporting role. It's a great anti-hero show that will appeal to those who enjoyed Breaking Bad and Ozark.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here