Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] England v Lebanon

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Hoping for a big strong statement after the Aussie loss, Lebanon will be no pushovers though after their hugely impressive victory over France but time to get our World Cup campaign back on track.

Where is everyone watching it? Dave at the Boat is opening early tomorrow, should be packed and he’s doing a special promotion 5p off a bottle of Carlsberg for every point Lebanon score.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Hoping for a big strong statement after the Aussie loss, Lebanon will be no pushovers though after their hugely impressive victory over France but time to get our World Cup campaign back on track.

Where is everyone watching it? Dave at the Boat is opening early tomorrow, should be packed and he’s doing a special promotion 5p off a bottle of Carlsberg for every point Lebanon score.

Yep, can't wait for this, stool loosingly excited.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
What event is this? Wine tasting, I hope.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Apparently it's Xmas Decor, but I can't reply to that post. :-(

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Egg chasing.
Northern egg chasing.

The whole concept of a League WC is ridiculous. Here are a list of areas world-wide that take it seriously:
* just under half of Australia,
* the M62 corridor in England
* a suburb of Auckland
* one French town
* Papua New Guinea

Lebanon is just lolz. They are simply a team cobbled together from blokes living in a Lebanese suburb of Sydney who are not good enough to play for the kangaroos. People in actual Lebanon probably don't even know this "world cup" is going on.

And the reasons there were plenty of empty spaces at the flagship opening game between Australia and England are:
* People in Melbourne don't give a shit about rugby of either codes
* Those people in Australia who do care about league consider it a joke too. The highest level of the sport as far as they're concerned is the state of origin series, not this tin pot world cup.

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
Northern egg chasing.

The whole concept of a League WC is ridiculous. Here are a list of areas world-wide that take it seriously:
* just under half of Australia,
* the M62 corridor in England
* a suburb of Auckland
* one French town
* Papua New Guinea

Lebanon is just lolz. They are simply a team cobbled together from blokes living in a Lebanese suburb of Sydney who are not good enough to play for the kangaroos. People in actual Lebanon probably don't even know this "world cup" is going on.

And the reasons there were plenty of empty spaces at the flagship opening game between Australia and England are:
* People in Melbourne don't give a shit about rugby of either codes
* Those people in Australia who do care about league consider it a joke too. The highest level of the sport as far as they're concerned is the state of origin series, not this tin pot world cup.

Plenty of league fans world wide. You forgot New Zealand in your list (and Samoa & Tonga)
Apart from Catalan in Super League, Toulose have just been promoted to the Championship, and the game is expanding in America and Canada (Toronto Wolfpack have also been promoted to the 2nd tier!) and there are plans for a New York team too!

This will provide some info on Lebanon for you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/41805294

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Plenty of league fans world wide. You forgot New Zealand in your list (and Samoa & Tonga)
Apart from Catalan in Super League, Toulose have just been promoted to the Championship, and the game is expanding in America and Canada (Toronto Wolfpack have also been promoted to the 2nd tier!) and there are plans for a New York team too!

This will provide some info on Lebanon for you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/41805294

Er:
a) I mentioned Auckland, in New Zealand in my post! Otherwise, League gets crumbs in terms of sports coverage in NZ
b) There is nothing in your link I don't already know. In fact if you read it yourself, it pretty much confirms what I've already said, they're all Aussies:
"But they were just a bunch of Aussies who hadn't even stepped foot in Lebanon, right? That's right. They all had close family ties to the home country, but few, if any, had ever been there."

Apart from that, Lebanon itself has 1,000 registered players. Not exactly a league hotbed then.

I'll give you Toulouse though - so that's two French towns, not one.

I deliberate ignored Wolfpack because I can't see how that is going to prove to be sustainable. And occasional gates of 7,000 in it's first season (including [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] on one occasion) hardly points to Canada being a rugby league hotbed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
By the way, I have a lot of time for the game itself, I think top class rugby league is very watchable. It's just that the people running it have absolutely no idea how to expand the sport. They simply make a mess of it time after time after time.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Er:
a) I mentioned Auckland, in New Zealand in my post! Otherwise, League gets crumbs in terms of sports coverage in NZ
b) There is nothing in your link I don't already know. In fact if you read it yourself, it pretty much confirms what I've already said, they're all Aussies:
"But they were just a bunch of Aussies who hadn't even stepped foot in Lebanon, right? That's right. They all had close family ties to the home country, but few, if any, had ever been there."

Apart from that, Lebanon itself has 1,000 registered players. Not exactly a league hotbed then.

I'll give you Toulouse though - so that's two French towns, not one.

I deliberate ignored Wolfpack because I can't see how that is going to prove to be sustainable. And occasional gates of 7,000 in it's first season (including [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] on one occasion) hardly points to Canada being a rugby league hotbed.

It was a beer festival with some rugby happening in the background. People weren't following the match too keenly. Part of the problem was the lack of competitiveness. The Wolfpack romped home 70-0 or something, which hardly makes for edge-of-the-seat excitement. Start playing closely matched teams next season and it might be a bit more interesting.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think I've ever watched England vs Lebanon at any sport.

The closest I've got is probably Ben Dover vs Lesbian.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Back in the 70's and early 80's there was a game of RL on Grandstand with Eddie Waring, usually Widnes V Leigh, if you didn't like it you could always switch over to World Of Sport and watch Mick McManus having his ears pulled off.
Something for everyone on Saturday afternoons, still better than repeats of Bargain Hunt though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Back in the 70's and early 80's there was a game of RL on Grandstand with Eddie Waring, usually Widnes V Leigh, if you didn't like it you could always switch over to World Of Sport and watch Mick McManus having his ears pulled off.
Something for everyone on Saturday afternoons, still better than repeats of Bargain Hunt though.

Anything must be better than Bargan Hunt I would think.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here