Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flooring advice

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I need to replace the horrible carpet in our dining room and family room. Looking at getting karndean. It's a big area (55sqm) so obviously looking for some competitve quotes and any other advice re suitablility/ alternatives etc as it's a chunk of money to spend. Hoping the NSC super mind has some experience they could pass on.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I need to replace the horrible carpet in our dining room and family room. Looking at getting karndean. It's a big area (55sqm) so obviously looking for some competitve quotes and any other advice re suitablility/ alternatives etc as it's a chunk of money to spend. Hoping the NSC super mind has some experience they could pass on.

I'm no expert but we've had Karndean twice before but the last time we went for it our bloke told us there were lots of just as good alternatives for much better price. We went for a brand called Camaro (link below) had it down in our (very heavily used) kitchen/diner for 5 years and it was as good as new when we moved out. I don't know if the price differential is still the same but worth a check

https://www.polyflor.com/jh/products.nsf/products!open&family=lux

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm no expert but we've had Karndean twice before but the last time we went for it our bloke told us there were lots of just as good alternatives for much better price. We went for a brand called Camaro (link below) had it down in our (very heavily used) kitchen/diner for 5 years and it was as good as new when we moved out. I don't know if the price differential is still the same but worth a check

https://www.polyflor.com/jh/products.nsf/products!open&family=lux

Who was your bloke, out of interest, as we may need someone too (assuming it was in Seaford) - and may be of interest to the OP too? (Who, I note, pretends not to live in Newhaven :p)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1) Brexiteers
2) Palace supporters
3) Ant and Dec

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
He was a fella from Crawley ... we were living in Horsham at the time. I don't recall his details but I think my Mrs might ... will post if she has

I should have said that the laying is really important. I've seen it done poorly and it look sh*t whatever you buy. I suspect it's far more tricky job than carpet laying

Ooops for [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION]

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Who was your bloke, out of interest, as we may need someone too (assuming it was in Seaford) - and may be of interest to the OP too? (Who, I note, pretends not to live in Newhaven :p)

Seems we have his number at home ... and now think he lives in Brighton. He's a big BHA fan too and does a very good job at a decent price.

Not back in Seaford till 31/3 but can send across details then if still needed

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
karndean Might be costly but it's a great product had our down for ten years looks a good as day it was fitted

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Hi fella,

Karndean starts about £24 sqm Knight Tile range and works up to £80 sqm.

You will need to have a perfectly level subfloor if concrete you will need to screed it , if it is wooden floorboards or chipboard you will need to have 6mm Plyboard and feather finish latex for the joints approx £15 Sqm

Then fitting which can be anything between £20 - £25 Sqm or a day rate if it is more economical to the customer around £350 per day all these include vat and deals can be done.

Other products you may wish to look into similar to Karndean are obviously Amtico (more expensive) and Camaro and maybe even the loose lay Karndean (cuts down on the floor prep price but product more expensive.

All these products are great for any area and can all be heated up and you can replace planks if they get damaged (not interlocking apart from the loose lay)
They will all scratch and can fade due to sunlight.

I work for a flooring firm in Lancing domestic and contract (sites from Bexhill to Godalming so travel not an issue) if you want any help or info.

Word to the wise you can buy Karndean on line, but these can be sub standard or out of date stock ie- the wear layer surface is out of date and any bought on line unless fitted by a stockist are not guaranteed by Karndean.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I have Karndean in some areas and it is super. Considering how thin it is, it is extremely hard-wearing in my experience. It's not cheap, but I'd go with it every time (I hated my laminate) ... not least because my local super floor expert and supplier is on this very board - aren't you Mr Psychobilly Freakout !

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have Karndean in some areas and it is super. Considering how thin it is, it is extremely hard-wearing in my experience. It's not cheap, but I'd go with it every time (I hated my laminate) ... not least because my local super floor expert and supplier is on this very board - aren't you Mr Psychobilly Freakout !

Yep I look nothing like the thug Teddyboy my picture portrays, more than happy to give share my knowledge with anyone who needs it.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
we used Amtico in our Kitchen and Bathroom as people say it is not cheap but it is incredibly resilient. Had it down for 5 years in a heavily used kitchen and looks as good as the day it was fitted.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Still got my oak effect lino , it's great for some things 14jb91t.gif but hard to keep pet hair free .

i shouldn't have opened this thread .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here