Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Emergency Goalkeeper.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not quite, but Dean Wilkins didn't have a sub keeper on the bench. It would have been Fraser in goal, and bring on a midfielder had the goalie been injured.

Didn't Gary Hart go in goal once? Or was that in some sort of pre-season game?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Neil McBain, a former wing-half, was Brighton manager in 1947 when an injury crisis left him with no fit goalkeepers for a game against Hartlepool, so he played himself, becoming at 51 years and 120 days the oldest man ever to play league football (a record that stood until 2003). Brighton were soundly beaten 3-0."

Just read that online. Thought it was weird that I'd never heard of it, or him, previously. Turns out it was New Brighton. Good research, the Guardian...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Not quite, but Dean Wilkins didn't have a sub keeper on the bench. It would have been Fraser in goal, and bring on a midfielder had the goalie been injured.

I think it was Tommy Fraser whom teed up a penalty for a half time invader to score against Gary Hart at Brentford. There used to be a youtube video of that, but I can't find it :(

It was a 1-0 defeat with Mayo sent off.

Pretty impressive that the pitch invader spent a good minute on the pitch without being challenged.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gary Chivers started a game in goal, I think it was at Charlton, and was replaced after 5 mins or so. Not sure, as I cant remember, whether we started with one of the subs and took him off or just started with 10 players. Sure somebody will remember the game.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Kevin Bremner went in goal for most of a game at the Goldstone, think it may have been when Perry Digweed suffered the injury where he lost a lot of blood and ended up palying in tracksuite trousers for the remainder of his career.

Think we lost 1-0 with Kevin being at fault (harsh I know).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Kevin Bremner went in goal for most of a game at the Goldstone, think it may have been when Perry Digweed suffered the injury where he lost a lot of blood and ended up palying in tracksuite trousers for the remainder of his career.

Think we lost 1-0 with Kevin being at fault (harsh I know).

Oh good call. Pretty sure you're right about it being Bremner. It was against West Bromwich Albion, a midweek match.

I was always interested as to exactly how Perry thought the trousers would offer protection? I can understand Petr Cech wearing a padded hat after a fractured skull, but unless Digweed's trousers had a sort of chamois built in like cycling shorts do, how on earth were they supposed to shield his tender old chap any more than shorts?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Didn't Gary Hart go in goal once? Or was that in some sort of pre-season game?

exactly what i was thinking.

i have in my mind that this used to be a not uncommon occurance across the whole season and all league divisions. have odd pictures of Vinnie Jones and Robbie Fowler in goalies jersey. maybe too much beer today?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
exactly what i was thinking.

i have in my mind that this used to be a not uncommon occurance across the whole season and all league divisions. have odd pictures of Vinnie Jones and Robbie Fowler in goalies jersey. maybe too much beer today?

Think you're right about Jones, possibly Fowler too. Rio Ferdinand has been in goal, Phil Jagielka was always Neil Warnock's sub keeper. There's a good YouTube video of Jan Koller going in goal for Borussia Dortmund against FC Bayern too. Think Robbie Savage had a stint once, and John Terry ended up between the sticks when Cech & Cudicini got stretchered off in the same game (at Reading).

Also- that Gillingham defender who went in goal in a league cup game at the Goldstone. Saved a penalty in the shoot out & we lost.

It's a great loss to modern football that we so rarely see outfield players in goal now. Though- be careful what you wish for I guess :lol:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Gary Chivers did briefly against Millwall. Clive Walker got attacked by a Wall thug in the same game.

Gary Chivers started a game in goal, I think it was at Charlton, and was replaced after 5 mins or so. Not sure, as I cant remember, whether we started with one of the subs and took him off or just started with 10 players. Sure somebody will remember the game.

This was one-and-the-same game: it was at the Den in September 1991. Perry Digweed was injured in the pre-match warm-up. In those days there were two subs, but teams very rarely named a sub goalkeeper. However, Mark Beeney had travelled with the squad and was sat in the Directors' Box. Barry Lloyd remembered that there had been a recent change to the league rules that allowed a player who had been named on the submitted team-sheet, but who was injured prior to kick-off, to be replaced (apparently even the referee and a linesman weren't sure, at first, that it was allowed).

Beeney was named as a sub and while he got ready, Albion started with 11 outfield players, with Chivers in goal. Beeney was then brought on as a sub for Crumplin.
[MENTION=352]pishhead[/MENTION] - I think it was John Robinson who was attacked, not Clive Walker (he wasn't playing in that game).

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I seem to remember Carl Shutt I think it was, going in goal against us for Darlington when we were at Gillngham? It was pretty early on and the keeper had been sent off, and Shutt kept us out easily in the end...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You almost certainly did hear Gus say that - as a youngster, Barnes played in all positions on the pitch, including goalkeeper. He was a big Peter Schmeichel fan.

No doubt he'd have been a really shit goalkeeper and been abused every time he made a save :smile:

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Ashley Barnes was a always a budding keeper and would have gone in goal if the need arised.
Makes sense if you think about it

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We play 'rush goalie' at the Albion now, don't we ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here