Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I take it Albion fans want us (Boro) to beat Burnley on Tuesday?

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
You were wrong anyway.
If Burnley lose to Boro, they can still pip us if we win our next three then also lose to Boro.

Yes we would still need Burnley to loose against Preston. The point I was trying to make is that for us to be guaranteed finishing ahead of Burnley before the Boro game then we can't have Burnley taking a point from their next two games.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Every team that's ever won any league title in England has had to rely on other results. We probably won't even win our next 3, we might not even win tomorrow, so needing to win the next 4 (making it 9 out of the last 10) is a bit much to ask.

I understand what you say about winning 9 on the bounce seeming an impossible task, but it still comes down to the fact that we have to just win one game - just one game x 4... what has gone before is an irrelevance really.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The point I was trying to make is that for us to be guaranteed finishing ahead of Burnley before the Boro game then we can't have Burnley taking a point from their next two games.
You started off right (about the possibility of being promoted by beating Derby, before Burnley play QPR), but now you've forgotten that being promoted before our last game is different to being promoted by beating Derby (without waiting for Burnley's game). That could still happen if Burnley get 2 or 3 points in their next two games.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I understand what you say about winning 9 on the bounce seeming an impossible task, but it still comes down to the fact that we have to just win one game - just one game x 4... what has gone before is an irrelevance really.
Yes what's gone before is an irrelevance, I agree - but just looking at those 4 games, it's a very big ask. Remember that anyone can beat anyone in this league.

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
You started off right (about the possibilityu of being promoted by beating Derby, before Burnley play QPR), but now you've forgotten that being promoted before our last game is different to being promoted by beating Derby (without waiting for Burnley's game). That could still happen if Burnley get 2 or 3 points in their next two games.

Yep, You're right! I'll leave it until after tomorrow night before I try to work out the possibilities again!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A Boro win is definitely the best result, a Burnley win the worst.

Given the stakes, a bad tempered affair is likely. I'd never wish an injury on a player but a couple of red cards to weaken them in the run in would be nice. A 3-match ban, for a straight red for a bad tackle / violent conduct would include our game at the Riverside, too. I'll choose a punch-up between Gray and Ramirez please.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely we can wish short term absence knocks on them?

If they happen to GET injured, and that benefits us, then I'll be as grateful as anyone. I'm just not one for these "I hope Gray pulls his hamstring / Rhodes breaks his leg" type comments. Unsporting and in poor taste, IMO.

I am however prepared to make an exception for any player who themselves goes out of their way to deliberately inflict injury on his fellow professionals. Yes, that's YOU Joey Barton.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
No, he was right - he wasn't saying Burnley couldn't go on to beat us (as they could get a result against Preston), he was saying that if Burnley lose vs 'brough and Preston, and we win our next 2, we can win promotion vs Derby, which wouldn't be possible if Burnley draw against 'brough.

Yes we would still need Burnley to loose against Preston. The point I was trying to make is that for us to be guaranteed finishing ahead of Burnley before the Boro game then we can't have Burnley taking a point from their next two games.
I realised he could have meant that afterwards, but I couldn't be bothered to change it. Me bad.

Maybe if the wording was "the only result that means we COULD guarantee promotion by beating Derby", it might have registered sooner.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There is a lot of wishful thinking on here ( and understandably so ) but the bare facts are .....
1) Burnley are unbeaten for the whole second half of the season, thus far ( 19 games ) and they are strong and resilient and are difficult to beat.
Dyche will ensure, first and foremost, tomorrow, that they don't get beaten. They are unlikely to lose at Preston. They have more firepower than Preston, who struggle to score. They will, more than likely, win their last two games v QPR and Charlton. They are likely to get 91 points.
2) Boro have won 6 on the spin and are full of confidence. They don't expect to get beaten.
They are unlikely to lose again this season. Karanka will also try and ensure that they don't get beaten tomorrow. Expect them to beat Ipswich and Birmingham and probably reach the last day of the season with 92 points.
IMHO....this is the likeliest scenario. It will still be difficult for us. A draw at Boro, after 3 more wins, may not be enough. The thought of not going up with 91 points is not worthy of contemplation....it will be shattering ( and probably never happened before! )

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If they happen to GET injured, and that benefits us, then I'll be as grateful as anyone. I'm just not one for these "I hope Gray pulls his hamstring / Rhodes breaks his leg" type comments. Unsporting and in poor taste, IMO.
There's a difference between hoping someone breaks a leg and hoping someone feels their hamstring is a bit tight. We've had a load of injuries this season (as we do every season) while Burnley have played the same starting 11 almost every game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There is a lot of wishful thinking on here ( and understandably so ) but the bare facts are .....
1) Burnley are unbeaten for the whole second half of the season, thus far ( 19 games ) and they are strong and resilient and are difficult to beat.
Dyche will ensure, first and foremost, tomorrow, that they don't get beaten. They are unlikely to lose at Preston. They have more firepower than Preston, who struggle to score. They will, more than likely, win their last two games v QPR and Charlton. They are likely to get 91 points.
2) Boro have won 6 on the spin and are full of confidence. They don't expect to get beaten.
They are unlikely to lose again this season. Karanka will also try and ensure that they don't get beaten tomorrow. Expect them to beat Ipswich and Birmingham and probably reach the last day of the season with 92 points.
IMHO....this is the likeliest scenario. It will still be difficult for us. A draw at Boro, after 3 more wins, may not be enough. The thought of not going up with 91 points is not worthy of contemplation....it will be shattering ( and probably never happened before! )
Yep, it's likely we'll be in the playoffs. We're just hoping.

The average number of points required for automatic promotion since the division became the Championship is 84. The highest that 3rd place has got is 86.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Sorry, those aren't facts, they are your opinion. Besides, Boro are full of confidence after 6 straight wins, but for that 90+ equaliser from Burnley, we would be quoting the same statistic about Brighton!

Why does the grass always look greener somewhere else?

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Because the ref was neutral, not a Brighton fan? :wink:

If it was because the ref was biased, then we must have had an awful lot of biased refs this season. Or else you have. Sometimes you get away with the marginal ones, sometimes not - Dunk could have had a four match ban for his foul at Forest, but got away with it.

And Barton could have been up for actual bodily harm but got away with it ......

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
With all 3 side consistently winning, it is inevitable that the game when either Boro or Burnley have to drop points that we do likewise !

Thats how football works.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here