Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pace / playing on the break

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For years now, it seems, sides were able to break at us with pace in a manner that we just weren't capable of. Players would stream forward, outnumbering our defenders and from my WSU pew I'd be crossing my fingers and hoping for a miracle.

For the first time that I can really recall we are able to do that and it's fantastic to see.

I'm not convinced we are making the best of these opportunities yet, largely due to some poor decision making at key moments, but I'm sure it will come.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The finishing is improving though isn't it. Murphy's last two strikes, Hemed's recent crisp finishes, Baldock's belter at Bristol and goal making shot last night, as well as Zamora's decisive strike against Huddersfield. It's an impressive roll call of no-nonsense finishing. The extra pace has given the front men a massive boost and we are now capable of shredding any defence.

The key is to get the early breakthrough and disrupt the defensive formations teams deploy against us.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Yep, its all about the first goal and opening games up.

Lovely to see though, we do look a proper threat on the break for the first time in... well ever.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
For years now, it seems, sides were able to break at us with pace in a manner that we just weren't capable of. Players would stream forward, outnumbering our defenders and from my WSU pew I'd be crossing my fingers and hoping for a miracle.

For the first time that I can really recall we are able to do that and it's fantastic to see.

I'm not convinced we are making the best of these opportunities yet, largely due to some poor decision making at key moments, but I'm sure it will come.

Bang on the money. Definitely suits our current squad much more than the 'patient build up' style which is why Bridcutt wouldn't fit into the team now.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Pace is the key from my perspective too. It's not just on the break either it is all over the pitch. We have a quick back four, dunk in particular for a centre back is quick. I think that is a rare thing in this league. Compared to Leeds last night who were heavy and lumbering all over the pitch.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
When Bong returns to LB, Rosenior to RB, then its all our attack on the Championship scum that gets in our way.
Just a thought :)

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Our recent success, since that poor run has been built largely on the break. We still can't seem to break teams down if they sit back - for the first 15 minutes Leeds were a solid defensive unit and we didn't threaten their goal. Once we scored the penalty they had to attack, which left them vulnerable to the counter and allowed us to run away with it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I realise about Bruno, brilliant as he has been, but Calde was doing an excellent job, and was replaced by Rosenior.
I guess its all whats best for the team.
I am going on what I viewed at the Sevilla game pre season.

LR only played 18 mins of that :)

I agree, but I thought then 'pace'.
I guess that might be why LR was brought in, plus to have a better choice from squad?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The finishing is improving though isn't it. Murphy's last two strikes, Hemed's recent crisp finishes, Baldock's belter at Bristol and goal making shot last night, as well as Zamora's decisive strike against Huddersfield. It's an impressive roll call of no-nonsense finishing. The extra pace has given the front men a massive boost and we are now capable of shredding any defence.

The key is to get the early breakthrough and disrupt the defensive formations teams deploy against us.

Whilst I'm happy to heartily agree in general, Baldock's 'shot' for the own goal last night was a shocker!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst I'm happy to heartily agree in general, Baldock's 'shot' for the own goal last night was a shocker!

I've watched it a few times. I'm not convinced that it was a shot. He may have been trying to flick it with the outside of his boot to the player to his right - Hemed presumably.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

It's refreshing isn't it, not only that but no more slowly slowly pass around the back and wait for the opposition to get their shape back.

Even for all our snippy passing game over the last few years I never felt we had much in the explosive attacking department, but we are all about that now and I have to say I prefer it.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I've watched it a few times. I'm not convinced that it was a shot. He may have been trying to flick it with the outside of his boot to the player to his right - Hemed presumably.

That's definately what he was going for, 100%.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

that's exactly what he was trying I'd say, having watched it again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here