Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where does the North start ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Northampton

Cant agree with saying Chesterfield/Crewe/Sheffield is the "border" - as that means places like Stoke, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Leicester and Derby are all classed as the South !!

Or the Midlands ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Heading up: Yorkshire/ Cheshire/ Lincolnshire, surely? Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire & Staffordshire may display many northern traits but all are the Midlands.

We just like to think of them as Northern.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Anywhere north of Chesterfield, although i'd possibly include Stoke as well.

Know a fair few people from Mansfield through uni, and they all see themselves as midlands, as do I.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I live outside Birmingham and I can assure you it is indeed The North. They talk funny and have gravy on everything.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Ok, my other half who was born in Manchester has the answer.
North would start on two counts she says .... Firstly where Black Pudding would always be part of a butchers window display. And more importantly the acid test... Where on asking in the Chippy for "Fish n Chips" you would be served "as Addock" as opposed to Cod. That's it apparently. ???

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Anything North of Sheffield is a good marker, draw an imaginary line across from N Wales and you will not be far off. We live on that line and are still classed as East Midlands

It's a cultural thing I suppose - Lincolnshire will never be regarded as North, even though Grimsby is level with Liverpool. It will never be regarded as South either, even though glorious Stamford is just about within London commuting range.

Didn't Grimsby Town play in both Third Division North and Third Division South at various times?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Never feel like I'm really home until I see the Welcome to West Sussex sign on the M23 however as for the north, only feels like I've left the south when I cross the Thames.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here