Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Wilson [signs on loan until the end of the season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have a massive smile on my face now. That's truly a statement of intent.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It's a good move for all parties.

Wilson hasn't been getting a look-in at United and it is hard to see how he would have got a look-in this season. At his stage of his career, it makes far more sense for him to be getting regular football rather than being a spectator every weekend with no prospect of any game time.

The last player to have been loaned to Brighton by United has been a regular starter for them in the past month and his time at Brighton clearly was helpful to his development. Although I have my doubts about Lingard cutting it long term at Old Trafford, he has played decently since LVG has restored him to the team.

If Wilson's loan goes well, he scores goals and goes back to Old Trafford a better and more confident player, that could result in there being more prospects that United loan out to Brighton in the future, in the knowledge that it is a good place for players' development to be nurtured.

The United fans bemoaning Wilson going on loan because their team are not scoring goals are looking at things far too simplistically. Wilson isn't ready for regular first team exposure at United yet and missing clear cut chances is not why their team is struggling to score goals. While Rooney's chronic lack of sharpness and deterioration as a player hasn't helped, the main problem has been that when Juan Mata and/or Ander Herrera haven't played this season, the ball hasn't been played forward quickly enough or into dangerous positions where the forwards can do damage. They've had several matches this season where they've created lots of half chances, but not made enough proper clear cut ones. Mata and Herrera are the ones who can play the incisive, defence splitting passes whereas without them their midfield play becomes too sterile and pedestrian and so their play doesn't go anywhere.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes but you did say than Van La Parre will provide the ammunition for the strikers. We don't know if that will be the case yet.
We are getting confused here. Many are saying the signing of Wilson will guarantee us promotion but I am saying that van La Parre will provide the ammunition to any of the 3 strikers that we play better than March and Murphy do at the moment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wilson will start I reckon (in the SB role), with BZ and Tomer sharing 90 mins.
Boring everybody senseless about cycling :shrug:

Isn't that a waste of his talents?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
castaway533.jpg

Nice one!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you're going to get loan signings in, this is how you do it with style ~ identify the need and bring in the best quality available.
Great bit of business by the club!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
From what I hear from United fans in Manchester, yes, really they do exist in manchester, he's lightning quick and if confident, a great finisher. Just what we need. Especially pleasing he's signed for the rest of the season. Very well played the club. We mean business.

Yes, a friend of mine is a real United fan (40 years standing). He said he is very quick and direct, a major coup. Reckons he is not suited to United's present style of play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here