Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you watch the'wimmin' at Wembley?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't think the stick that [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] is getting is very fair and is going beyond debate. His opinion is honest and based on personal feelings and thoughts. You don't have to agree with it, but just because it's controversial and unconventional, I think it's a bit arrogant to dismiss it as wrong.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I don't think the stick that [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] is getting is very fair and is going beyond debate. His opinion is honest and based on personal feelings and thoughts. You don't have to agree with it, but just because it's controversial and unconventional, I think it's a bit arrogant to dismiss it as wrong.
Just because someone is honest and open about their opinions it doesn't stop those opinions from being offensive.

Saying that girls and women shouldn't be allowed to play football is pretty offensive to all those girls and women who play football. And to anyone who has a think about what that attitude really means.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I saw GB women v Brazil at Wembley at the Olympics. It was an 80,000 sell out and actually quite a good day out. It was a very different day out to watching men's football - the atmosphere was completely different as a huge percentage of the crowd was families - but everyone enjoyed themselves. And where's the harm in getting kids interested in watching football (any football)?

So given the opportunity for a trip across London to watch an Albion team (#together, and all that) at Wembley on a sunny May weekend, for £15? Yeah, I probably would.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

It's not arrogant to dismiss it as wrong, when it's been demonstrably proved as wrong.

Football is a sport for all, not just men - so he is wrong.

Just because someone is honest and open about their opinions it doesn't stop those opinions from being offensive.

Saying that girls and women shouldn't be allowed to play football is pretty offensive to all those girls and women who play football. And to anyone who has a think about what that attitude really means.

Yep.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's not arrogant to dismiss it as wrong, when it's been demonstrably proved as wrong.

Football is a sport for all, not just men - so he is wrong.
He's entitled to his opinion that football is a man's game, or are you the self appointed thought police?

As for it being offensive, get a grip. I'm sure that women footballers can handle the opinion of some old guy on an Internet forum without the White Knights coming to their rescue.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's entitled to his opinion that football is a man's game, or are you the self appointed thought police?

As for it being offensive, get a grip. I'm sure that women footballers can handle the opinion of some old guy on an Internet forum without the White Knights coming to their rescue.

Try football is only for white people. Still not offensive? 50% of the population written off because some old guy doesn't think they should play.

I need to be careful what I say here, as I work for the club and have just got home from leading tonight's Girls Invitation Centre (U11s-U15s) session at Lancing, while Amy Merrick's BHAWFC reserves played a friendly on the pitch next to us - so I have an interest in this. ��

A few points:

None of the players in the womens team are paid. They all work full-time, and train three nights a week, in their own time.

The set-up is incredibly professional, and - like every team based at our training ground, from U7s pre-academy to the mens 1st team - they play the Brighton way.

As had already been noted, most people clearly haven't seen BHAWFC play - even when they were at The Amex in December and (a) played Charlton (2nd in the league at the time) off the pitch for 90 mins and (b) threw in plenty of "crunching" challenges that would have satisfied an old-school traditionalist - with at least two Charlton players taken off after being on the receiving end.

Probably banging my head against a brick wall, but hey...

Thank you, good points well made. Have watched three games at Culver Road this season with youngest daughter who I have managed to indoctrinate into the ways of the Seagull and is eagerly looking to the game v Derby for which we have tickets. If I had been more successful in persuading her older sister to come to games I wouldn't be typing this as we would be on the way to tonight's match! We thoroughly enjoyed the game at the Amex, we know one of the players (she sometimes helps coach my daughter's team) who admitted that she was "bricking it" at the thought of playing in front of a relatively large crowd. From the reaction at the end of that game from both the crowd and the team everybody hugely enjoyed the experience.

If they get to Wembley one day we will be there, and hope to be at the play off game on the 29th May. Keep up the good work :albion::thumbsup:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Of course he's entitled to his opinion. It's just that his 'opinion' is based on a total fallacy and a lie.

It's nothing to do with 'thought police', I'm telling him a fact that he (and you it seems) can't accept - that he's evidentially wrong. There's not 'opinion' to be had here.

You get a grip. You're defending a misogynist.

If you think defending bigotry is acceptable, carry on. Decent society might think otherwise.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course he's entitled to his opinion. It's just that his 'opinion' is based on a total fallacy and a lie.

It's nothing to do with 'thought police', I'm telling him a fact that he (and you it seems) can't accept - that he's evidentially wrong. There's not 'opinion' to be had here.
His opinions are lies, your opinions are facts. OK, we've got that, loud and clear.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
No I wouldn't. I think the extra coverage of the women's game is good as an aspirational tool to get young women interested in, and playing, football, and in turn breaking down the barriers to the game that they have.

But for me, I've no historically engrained emotional tie to the women's game, so I'm not invested enough to spend my money on it. And I'm not a female, so I'm not watching it for aspirational reasons either I.e. I've never dreamt of playing for the Brighton women's team in the way I have for the men's (as I'm sure many of us have).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here