Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

********The official " Not bothered about the Super Bowl " thread.*********

It's not everyones cup of tea. It's a difficult game to understand and it does go on for a very long time. It is also a very technical game with a lot of stop starts, so I can see how it would be frustrating to watch if you are not a fan.

I am proud to say that I played for the Brighton B52's back in the day. Playing for 10 years at Withdean stadium before we took it over for the Albion. It was an amazing game to play. It's very different to Rugby (which I love too), but it can be just as physically challenging.

All those years playing and studying gave me a real love for the game, which I still enjoy to this day. My team, The San Francisco 49ers have had a season to rival Palarse, so it's not been fun to watch. they obviously will not be in the Super Bowl, but I will still be up to watch regardless.

I guess it's a bit like watching the FA cup. I've done it since I was a kid. I used to get so excited on FA cup day, regardless of who was playing. Back in those days it was the last game of the season, and you knew it would be a couple of months before you saw anymore. The Super Bowl is no different. It's not always the best game of Football, and more often than not, your team are not playing, but the excitement of the occasion and the fact that there wont be any more Football for 6 months, means most Football fans will want to see the game. I know i will.

I know I will get a lot of stick for this post, but I just wanted to explain things from another perspective for those of you that have no interest in the Super Bowl. It's not my intention to try and persuade you to watch it, far from it. There are many sports I can't stand and would never watch. But the one thing we all have in common on here is our love for BHA, and that comes before any other team or Sport. So go easy on me.

boik

What's that game they play in America where someone picks the ball up with their hands, throws it with their hands to someone behind them who catches it with their hands, and then throws it with his hands all the way up the pitch to where someone else catches it with their hands?

Oh yeah - FOOTBALL!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's a sport which would be quite good if it wasn't "Americanised"

- Remove the ridiculous pauses after each "play"
- Remove extra timeouts
- Just have the odd substitution instead of changing the entire team
- Get rid of the stupid padding

I've just invented rugby haven't I?

Unfortunately it's quite hard to avoid it here in Canada. I will try my best to let it pass me by though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's not everyones cup of tea. It's a difficult game to understand and it does go on for a very long time. It is also a very technical game with a lot of stop starts, so I can see how it would be frustrating to watch if you are not a fan.

I am proud to say that I played for the Brighton B52's back in the day. Playing for 10 years at Withdean stadium before we took it over for the Albion. It was an amazing game to play. It's very different to Rugby (which I love too), but it can be just as physically challenging.

All those years playing and studying gave me a real love for the game, which I still enjoy to this day. My team, The San Francisco 49ers have had a season to rival Palarse, so it's not been fun to watch. they obviously will not be in the Super Bowl, but I will still be up to watch regardless.

I guess it's a bit like watching the FA cup. I've done it since I was a kid. I used to get so excited on FA cup day, regardless of who was playing. Back in those days it was the last game of the season, and you knew it would be a couple of months before you saw anymore. The Super Bowl is no different. It's not always the best game of Football, and more often than not, your team are not playing, but the excitement of the occasion and the fact that there wont be any more Football for 6 months, means most Football fans will want to see the game. I know i will.

I know I will get a lot of stick for this post, but I just wanted to explain things from another perspective for those of you that have no interest in the Super Bowl. It's not my intention to try and persuade you to watch it, far from it. There are many sports I can't stand and would never watch. But the one thing we all have in common on here is our love for BHA, and that comes before any other team or Sport. So go easy on me.

I know I started this thread and it was just for fun really, so no stick from me.
Good post to be fair.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Good post. I've only ever been interested in football as sports go, so as a youngster had no time for anything else (although do remember trying to cultivate and interest in the Washington Redskins, is that right??, in the old Channel 4 days).
But as I got older came to realise every sport has it's fans love it just as much as I do football. I have tried to get interested in other sports but failed most of the time. That's just me though, no reflection on the sport.

That said, Rugby can still sod off. Just because of the fan's attitude upon hearing you like football really. They seem to have this desperate need to tell you how superior their sport is.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Didn't even realise the Super Bowl was on... American football is just Rugby with helmets and a lot of extra padding ;)

It's not even that! They throw the ball forward and each passage of play lasts about 4 seconds! I'm friends with a Stealer fan. He watched the Palace v Albion first leg of the play offs in a sports bar with me and I agreed to watch the Stealers next live game. He was bemused at the excitement shown for a zero to zero, but he managed to watch it all. I would'very thrown myself off a cliff after 10 minutes of the sealers match but I couldn't find one in Florida. Awful, silly game with periods of play that are just slightly too long for the average American's attention span!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It's not even that! They throw the ball forward and each passage of play lasts about 4 seconds! I'm friends with a Stealer fan. He watched the Palace v Albion first leg of the play offs in a sports bar with me and I agreed to watch the Stealers next live game. He was bemused at the excitement shown for a zero to zero, but he managed to watch it all. I would'very thrown myself off a cliff after 10 minutes of the sealers match but I couldn't find one in Florida. Awful, silly game with periods of play that are just slightly too long for the average American's attention span!

They are the Pittsburgh Steelers not Stealers or sealers but otherwise a magnificent post...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Good post. I've only ever been interested in football as sports go, so as a youngster had no time for anything else (although do remember trying to cultivate and interest in the Washington Redskins, is that right??, in the old Channel 4 days).
But as I got older came to realise every sport has it's fans love it just as much as I do football. I have tried to get interested in other sports but failed most of the time. That's just me though, no reflection on the sport.

That said, Rugby can still sod off. Just because of the fan's attitude upon hearing you like football really. They seem to have this desperate need to tell you how superior their sport is.

I'm very similar about other sports. Have tried, but.........

American Football is a waste of space.

And as for Rugby, my daughter took us to a rugby match on Christmas Eve - Wasps vs Bath, so top quality stuff. But it was really boring. I played rugby at school many years ago and it was ok, but as a spectator sport it doesn't do it for me. Organised hooliganism for people who are not quite so far up the evolutionary chain.
Jkk

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
What pees me off is that it is on Radio 5 (my preferred choice of bedtime listening) all night, and I don't want to listen to it. Wouldn't mind if they put it on 5live extra (which I can't get) like they do the cricket etc so I wiill have to have a different station on tonight.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I would have thought Aussie 'No' Rules was the real men's game. Too much padding in the American version and way too many referees, which is why each game lasts 4 weeks.

Surprised they haven't already introduced drone refs to spot more infractions and make the games last even longer.

It's not a patch on cheese rolling either. Now there's a man's game.

They have even started diving in Aussie rules. Bunch of Nancy boys;)

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
soup-bowls-250x250.jpg

Would rather have a soup bowl

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not one bit fussed. Never seen it, never wanted to.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I'm still not bothered about the Super Bowl, but this post is better than any post on the official Super bowl thread.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here