Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Blimey... Jezza will be coming up to his 73rd birthday by then!

Justin Trudeau, Emmanuel Macron, Sebastian Kurz... Jeremy Corbyn :laugh:

Shami Chakrabarti said at the Labour Party conference that Jeremy Corbyn will serve 3 terms as PM. That will make him 88 years old when he finally makes way.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's okay, Robert Mugabe is still fighting fit and leading at 93. He looks far younger than some of his friends, such as The Right Honourable Conservative and Unionist Member of Parliament for Mid-Sussex he met a couple of weeks back.

Soames-Mugabe1.jpg

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It's okay, Robert Mugabe is still fighting fit and leading at 93. He looks far younger than some of his friends, such as The Right Honourable Conservative and Unionist Member of Parliament for Mid-Sussex he met a couple of weeks back.

View attachment 90314
Might that have something to do with his and his cronies' corruption, whereby they live well in contrast to the average folk, who are, well, less equal. Considerably less.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is it bad when a Member of Parliament stands up for what he believes in and his constituency believes in him?

Yup. I probably don't agree with Skinner on much at all except Brexit but he's one of the few MPs on any side whose word you would trust. He's one of the last great Parlimentarians. Along with the late great Eric Heffer, my all-time favourite Labour politician.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Fair enough. As I say, I don't agree with him on an awful lot, the admiration is in the way he's stuck to his convictions rather than what he believes in. Incidentally, Heffer and Thatcher had a lot of mutual respect despite being political opposites and Mrs T remained in contact with Eric Heffer's widow after he died.

I just remembered another Labour MP who I do like a lot - Frank Field. Very decent man.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Fair enough. As I say, I don't agree with him on an awful lot, the admiration is in the way he's stuck to his convictions rather than what he believes in. Incidentally, Heffer and Thatcher had a lot of mutual respect despite being political opposites and Mrs T remained in contact with Eric Heffer's widow after he died.

I just remembered another Labour MP who I do like a lot - Frank Field. Very decent man.

Oh if only the rest of the labour party was like Frank Field

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

One of the architects of Universal Credit , and the dismantling of the welfare state, not very decent at all

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
One of the architects of Universal Credit , and the dismantling of the welfare state, not very decent at all

Are you sure you've got the right man? Field was the Minister for Welfare Reform under Tony Blair for about a year in 97/98 and resigned because despite his role he realised he had absolutely no influence. Universal Credit was brought in by the Tories in (I think) 2013 and the architect is widely acknoledged as Iain Duncan-Smith.

Frank Field was warning the government about the consequences of bringing it in as far back as 2012 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19555748 and only a few days ago was still on the case arguing against it and warning that it could be as bad as the Poll Tax. https://www.theguardian.com/society...redit-dwp-withholding-bad-news-says-senior-mp

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Are you sure you've got the right man? Field was the Minister for Welfare Reform under Tony Blair for about a year in 97/98 and resigned because despite his role he realised he had absolutely no influence. Universal Credit was brought in by the Tories in (I think) 2013 and the architect is widely acknoledged as Iain Duncan-Smith.

Frank Field was warning the government about the consequences of bringing it in as far back as 2012 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19555748 and only a few days ago was still on the case arguing against it and warning that it could be as bad as the Poll Tax. https://www.theguardian.com/society...redit-dwp-withholding-bad-news-says-senior-mp

He was got rid of by Blair as being useless and all his ideas were unworkable including what is now called Universal Credit, someone who has a reputation that is not deserved

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He was got rid of by Blair as being useless and all his ideas were unworkable including what is now called Universal Credit, someone who has a reputation that is not deserved

Random quotes from the 2012 BBC article:

The government's flagship welfare reform programme is heading for "disaster", its "poverty czar" Frank Field has warned.

Labour MP says Universal Credit will not simplify benefits as planned and will instead "rot the soul" of the low paid."

It looks to me as though this is a project heading for disaster and I am anxious, at the end of the day, that we don't have a disaster and we don't have poorer people being treated as they were in 2005, when the great day arrived and the system didn't work."

In his Guardian article, he takes issue with the central claim made for Universal Credit - that it will make work pay by removing disincentives.

and this is probably the most pertinent (my highlights) that proves you have the wrong man:

He says he is "against universal credit in principle" but also fears that it has become "practically unachievable".

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Random quotes from the 2012 BBC article:

The government's flagship welfare reform programme is heading for "disaster", its "poverty czar" Frank Field has warned.

Labour MP says Universal Credit will not simplify benefits as planned and will instead "rot the soul" of the low paid."

It looks to me as though this is a project heading for disaster and I am anxious, at the end of the day, that we don't have a disaster and we don't have poorer people being treated as they were in 2005, when the great day arrived and the system didn't work."

In his Guardian article, he takes issue with the central claim made for Universal Credit - that it will make work pay by removing disincentives.

and this is probably the most pertinent (my highlights) that proves you have the wrong man:

He says he is "against universal credit in principle" but also fears that it has become "practically unachievable".

Read the part where he worked with the coalition on welfare reform

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I must say I am surprised there is no new thread today on Jezza's remarkable PMQs performance. :laugh:

His face when the PM said she hoped it wouldn't be 650 years before there was a woman leader of the Labour Party. Wonderful free hit he gave her there.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Cringe
Jeremy has clearly head hunted and employed every staff member of The Daily Testicle to research and formulate his questions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here