Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

De-segregation at football matches

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, I think I'd rather sing unflattering songs about other people from a distance thank you very much. :D

Yoda

English & European
Maybe something like a halfway house and have something like the Neutral Stand at Fulham might work if rolled out?

Have the main bulk of away fans in a section, then either side of them a neutral buffer zone followed by the home fan areas? Would need far less seats left for segregation.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
With so many Cologne fans going to the Emirates, and the potential for so much trouble (which is the go-to position of the authorities), and a reported 'riot' by certain sections of the Hate-Press actually a myth (yes, there were a few incidents), is there a case for some matches to be 'de-segregated'?

Has the fan culture in English football changed to the extent that it warrants a relaxing of segregated areas (an alien concept to some countries)?

On one hand, football fans are able to mingle at the Amex before and after a game, and are encouraged to buy beer etc. On the other, has the policing of matches (before, during and after by all stakeholders) made for an environment that shouldn't be tinkered with?

Over to you...

Only Palace at Home and away should be De-segregated

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It would not be good for the atmosphere, there's something special about being in amongst away fans that are only 5-10% of the crowded, you score and send the rest of the ground into silence

A definite NO

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
No segregation at rugby and that seems to go pretty well, they can drink beer in their seats too.

The atmosphere at the majority of rugby matches is crap, in comparison with football. Having fans totally jumbled together does absolutely nothing to create any sort of buzz. Yes, there's virtually no trouble, but the trade-off is basically no atmosphere either. I say this as someone who attended a fair number of top-level rugby matches in the Premiership and Champions Cup.

A lot of the French clubs are successful in generating atmosphere, but at those games a lot of the clubs have areas for their 'ultras', where no neutral or away fans will be near to.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Home end and way end, surely that's a must. But along the sides of the pitch there is room for non-segregated areas; I have enjoyed lots of matches sitting next to a rival supporter and having a friendly discussion with them (and to be honest, I know it's nice to have all the fun of the fair bouncing around with fellow fans at the Albion end, but I prefer the view from the side rather than from behind the goal).

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
The scenes you see now when for instance a 90th minute winner goes in and the fans go crazy, would all be lost as only every other person or every 2 people would be cheering, players would lose interaction with fans.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Absolutely not, Reading at home last season there was a very drunk very homophobic man in the queue for the train afterwards, if that had been during game where the stewards/police weren't monitoring the queue it would've gotten ugly

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The scenes you see now when for instance a 90th minute winner goes in and the fans go crazy, would all be lost as only every other person or every 2 people would be cheering, players would lose interaction with fans.

Are you saying 50% of the crowd would be away fans? Unlikely.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
I'm really in favour of having a desegregated area. Living away from Brighton, there are a number of times I want to go to games with friends who support the opposition. It seems mad that we can't enjoy the match together. Other sports manage it - don't tell me that e both rugby codes aren't passionate about their teams. By all means have home and away areas but football should cater for all supporters.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There is no other sport that has rivalry like football, it's what makes it better than all the rest, and for that reason, segregation is correct.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I remember the tension as crowds assembled on the terraces of wondering who would end-up standing next to you. The Whitehorse end at Palace 1979 particularly sticks in my mind. About 20 skinheads without scarves came and stood near me only to be steamed by about 100 Albion who rumbled they were Nigels. Keep the segregation.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No segregation at rugby and that seems to go pretty well, they can drink beer in their seats too.

I admit that rugby fans do have a better unofficial self-policing policy than football fans but that's because they only have to occasionally deal with the odd middle class **** who's had too many. That would not apply in football because of the tribalism that exists. Tell 200 Leeds or Millwall in our neutral section to curb their homophobic language or behaviour.
I can't keep my mouth shut at football if I'm near foul mouthed away fans in pubs or outside grounds and it nearly always escalates so it's a big no no from me.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Is E1H neutral? E1G has sort of in the recent past? In favour of a designated neutral section, but not for kids. It worked at Fulham.

Some times it really hasn't worked at the Goldstone, memorable against Villa in 1971, and away games at White Hart Lane and Elm Park.

Been to few tournaments where fans basically sit where they like. Even at Wembley 96 I was surrounded by Swiss, Jocks and Dutch respectively despite buying tickets from the official source. I was also at the "wrong" semi that year (France v Czech at Old Trafford) with plenty of tickets available all nationalities were sat together along with all different club sides shirts visible.

Some are kicking off as they see it as "krauts taking liberties" however these same people probably thought it was "really great" when England fans took over about 70% of the crowd when we played Portugal in Lisbon in 2004

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I suggest testing it to see if it works.

West Ham v Millwall

Should provide all you need to know.

But what do you do as there is a tendency to sit at home but stand away. That goes out the window.

Far part to have separate stands for moaners early leavers and still keep home and away fans apart

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Or we could have a designated Pwoper Nawty section™ where rival 'top boys' can battle it out so trouble can be contained within the ground and provide an entertaining distraction if the football is getting a bit tedious. Complementary Sussex ambulances layed on to return the Palarse Ultras home so they don't miss school/next Spurs match obviously.

JC Footy Genius

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I remember at Withdean, [MENTION=11670]Hove Seagull[/MENTION], [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION], me and our respective children all sitting in the Family Stand when we played Norwich. A Norwich fan behind us cheered very vocally when they equalised and promptly got told to shut the f*ck up by all around him. The nob then argued the toss that he should be allowed to cheer for Norwich because it was the Family Stand. "Yeah, but it's the Family Stand for Brighton fans. You want to cheer on Norwich, you do it with that lot over there in the Worthing End. You don't come in our stand and take the piss."

Norwich got a winner shortly after at which point all eyes looked daggers at the Norwich fan. Not a sound came from his lips.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here