Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corbyn' s at it again !

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just in case you are tarring me with your negative brush, I'll reiterate all I'm saying is that I don't believe it's possible to help the Grenfell families NOW when they need the help, which is what this thread is/was about.

Longer term - sure thing.

As has been mentioned before, the government could utilise vacant MOD properties around the greater London area?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
There's always been an ongoing issue with London's housing shortage.
A lot of the boroughs use properties in other boroughs to house families etc
Notting Hill has an association using properties in Hillingdon, which does solve a problem.
Genuine people who need housing, should be treated like humans and not cattle.

Below shows a 2015 trend on Londons borough performances.

http://www.londonspovertyprofile.org.uk/key-facts/overview-of-london-boroughs/

Kensington & Chelsea one of the worst boroughs for equality no sh**t.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
So sad to see so much finger pointing and political point scoring going on after such a dreadful tragedy.
What a contrast to the offers of help that have come from people from all walks of life, rich and poor.
Let the authorities go about their investigations before scapegoats are hung drawn and quartered by the uninformed.(and at this stage, that means all of us)

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Change the rules on foreign/domestic investment on non-residential properties. If you want a sitting investment in the best city on the planet that has serious housing problems then you will abide by those rules. One way would be for non-habited investment properties to be "looked after" by cooperatives/housing associations for short/long/emergency/ accommodation. You still have a great investment and you would be an asset to the UK.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Kensington & Chelsea one of the worst boroughs for equality no sh**t.

There's no denying that the name 'Kensington & Chelsea' gives the impression of wealth.
But I think sometimes (old fart talking here), that reality TV shows like Made in Chelsea do not help, in giving the impression that it's full of chinless wonders going around spending mummy and daddies wealth.
You don't really get to see Joe Average :lolol:

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Regardless of one's political leanings, the extent of foreign ownership of property in the UK, especially London (and within that Kensington being particularly attractive) is scary.

Many of these properties are vacant, simply because the owners, who are frequently nameplate companies registered in tax havens, use them as a store of wealth, rather than as a dwelling.

Take a look at the Private Eye map of foreign ownership, note the prices of the properties, and ask yourself how did we let this happen?

https://suemarcar.carto.com/viz/9fc804fa-4b6b-11e5-a73d-0e0c41326911/embed_map

Thanks for this. Very interesting.

Madness.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Change the rules on foreign/domestic investment on non-residential properties. If you want a sitting investment in the best city on the planet that has serious housing problems then you will abide by those rules. One way would be for non-habited investment properties to be "looked after" by cooperatives/housing associations for short/long/emergency/ accommodation. You still have a great investment and you would be an asset to the UK.

I think better to impose a 15% purchase tax for non residents. The Chinese way especially is to just land bank, they don't care if it empty. Slowly all this is destroying London and driving ordinary people out.

Trust it won't happen (at least with the government), we need any foreign capital we can get right now

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As has been mentioned before, the government could utilise vacant MOD properties around the greater London area?

Corbyn doesnt just want them to find them somewhere to live, he wants them to stay in their area. which is fair enough if they have schools and work to deal with. however, he knows full well that there isnt powers to commandeer property for this purpose, so he is really using this incident to pursue a cause. even if we agree with the principle it needs legislation, which is why i'll slag off Corbyn for the blatant political opportunism.

Would it be more realistic for the Government to force hotels/AirBnbs to give up a percentage of rooms for free for a period of time?

where as workable solutions like this dont get any headlines.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I think better to impose a 15% purchase tax for non residents. The Chinese way especially is to just land bank, they don't care if it empty. Slowly all this is destroying London and driving ordinary people out.

Trust it won't happen (at least with the government), we need any foreign capital we can get right now

Good idea. Just worried about those tax dollars not going towards social housing. Maybe a combo of the two options for investors, and not just foreign investors.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
This time he wants to take away any vacant legally owned property in Kensington and rehouse the people caught in that terrible fire.

I feel as sorry as everyone else does about that tragedy but stealing other people's property is clearly not the answer.

Corbyn really is a Marxist lowlife. Embarrassing how close we came to this moron gaining power

Get use to it dickhead because the country will wake up by the next GE and Labour will WALK it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This time he wants to take away any vacant legally owned property in Kensington and rehouse the people caught in that terrible fire.

I feel as sorry as everyone else does about that tragedy but stealing other people's property is clearly not the answer.

Corbyn really is a Marxist lowlife. Embarrassing how close we came to this moron gaining power

That's not what he said at all, nor anything like it. He said its tragic to see so many people instantly homeless while there are thousands of servicable, empty properties in the capital.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's not what he said at all, nor anything like it. He said its tragic to see so many people instantly homeless while there are thousands of servicable, empty properties in the capital.

The direct quote I have in front of me, as I was just skimming the latest BBC articles (link) on the fire is:

"And properties must be found, requisitioned if necessary, in order to make sure those residents do get re-housed locally."

If it can be done, it should be. As I've already said, I'm not sure how practical that is in the timescales these poor people need. If a by-product (for want of a better description) of this tragedy is that some focus is given to property hoarding and the negative impacts created by it, then that can only be a good thing, obviously.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The direct quote I have in front of me, as I was just skimming the latest BBC articles (link) on the fire is:

"And properties must be found, requisitioned if necessary, in order to make sure those residents do get re-housed locally."

If it can be done, it should be. As I've already said, I'm not sure how practical that is in the timescales these poor people need. If a by-product (for want of a better description) of this tragedy is that some proper attention is paid to property hoarding and the negative impacts created by it, then that can only be a good thing, obviously.

I see. Good luck Jez, I can't see out government getting the Mactoum's to give up their penthouses anytime soon.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Corrections. It is pretty much what he said.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

If it can be done, it should be. As I've already said, I'm not sure how practical that is in the timescales these poor people need. If a by-product (for want of a better description) of this tragedy is that some proper attention is paid to property hoarding and the negative impacts created by it, then that can only be a good thing, obviously.

This.

Change the game. We can't let our city dwellings become financial assets for investors at the cost of urgently needed housing for local workers/residence. Short term - get these poor people emergency/temp accommodation, long-term - look at Gov schemes that utilise empty 'cash cow' properties for the benefit of the UK. This will not deter property investors who have no intention of living in these properties, and could come with tax relief for those investors who invest in our social structure, while making a packet.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Using 70+ lives to aid a weak agenda against Corbyn is pretty low. I hope you're proud of yourself mate.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Live by the sea?

How about you get in the sea.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Probably safe to guess that the OP is a Daily Mail (or one of its ilk) reader, given that the rag with that name (owned by a billionaire who likely has many empty homes to his name...) has done its best to spin Corbyn's suggestion out of control.

Here's a suggestion, OP: before diving in spouting off the crap the Daily mail feeds you on a daily basis, try feeding your brain with some more moderate politically central (and, yes, even some left-wing) press writings and then you might be able to avoid sounding like a complete *bleep*.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Perhaps expand that to the rest of the country..for anyone thats fallen on hard times

Agreed BUT councils need to play their part and at the moment they don't. My brother owns a flat that he rented out to some one on housing benefit. They created rather a lot of damage and then complained to the council. The council issued my brother an improvement notice. The tenant left almost immediately. After getting costs for implementing said notice he decided it would just be easier to sell it. He found a buyer who got a discount to cover the works required and agreed to buy it. The buyer's solicitor insisted that the improvement notice be lifted before exchange. The council refused despite the buyer wanting to live there themselves and not rent it out. Pressure from both solicitors couldn't make the council remove the notice. My brother doesn't have the funds to complete the notice, the buyer still wants to buy and does. The council's stupidity has meant there is a flat in Worthing that has been empty for nearly nine months.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011

What a shameful embarrassment of a post. Just hope if you or yours are ever in need you don't find such a heartless response.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here