Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayweather v McGregor

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
This fight ends whenever Mayweather wants it too end.

I suspect he will embarrass McGregor for 12 rounds though to prove a point, and in that time I could probably count on 1 hand how many punches McGregor will land.

He might have been retired for a couple of years, but Mayweather is never out of shape as it were, never has been never will be.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
the sport in general is still pony and does nothing for martial arts. MMA has little to do with martial arts if it is practiced for sport, most of the techniques that would serve you well in real combat, ie War/Security etc (that will be the "Martial" part) are against the rules..

So that'll be why Brazilian jiu jitsu for example is trained extensively by numerous armed forces (including in the UK) and yes they also compete in "sport" tournaments.

Plus the rising profile of MMA has seen growth in Muay Thai, Brazilian jiu jitsu and wrestling (not of the WWE kind) throughout the world.

Yeah Mayweather will probably beat McGregor, but that's about the only thing you're right about.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
the sport in general is still pony and does nothing for martial arts.
Eh? How can it do nothing for martial arts? If you're taking the 'martial' part literally, where there are no rules and you can kill your opponent, then weapons are fair and you're basically talking about soldiers trying to kill each other.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Can't believe people think Mayweather will KO him!! Will be a 12 rounder with Floyd winning every round

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Utter farce but total respect that McGregor has managed to almost goad Mayweather into this because whilst he'll relish the payday Mayweather really doesn't need the cash.

The fight will end whenever Mayweather decides although rather than a quick KO would expect him to want to beat him up and humiliate. Neither sport will benefit remotely!

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Eh? How can it do nothing for martial arts? If you're taking the 'martial' part literally, where there are no rules and you can kill your opponent, then weapons are fair and you're basically talking about soldiers trying to kill each other.

So call it something else then. A true reflection of Martial Arts it ain't. So WTF is it? A mess.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Can't believe people think Mayweather will KO him!! Will be a 12 rounder with Floyd winning every round

Could be. After McBiggun cracked off his 'Malteser with eyes' jibe I would want to slowly remove his face and rib-cage over the longest period of time. Now THAT would be worth watching!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So call it something else then.
You said it does nothing for martial arts. What did you mean? What is the martial arts that you refer to?

So WTF is it? A mess.
You're just trolling and it's a bit pathetic. People that understand it know it's a fantastic sport where combatants demonstrate amazing skill, strength and endurance.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Utter farce but total respect that McGregor has managed to almost goad Mayweather into this because whilst he'll relish the payday Mayweather really doesn't need the cash.

The fight will end whenever Mayweather decides although rather than a quick KO would expect him to want to beat him up and humiliate. Neither sport will benefit remotely!

He doesn't need the cash but he will still want the 50-0 record.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Given how corrupt boxing has been I think you'll find it's boxing that's the scripted one.

Caught just the one. :down:

:fishing:

---

I'm a casual-at-best UFC fan. I watch Diaz, McGregor and Aldo. But that's about it.
I respect the sport, extremely disciplined athletes, incredibly brutal.

That said, boxing is my sport.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
So that'll be why Brazilian jiu jitsu for example is trained extensively by numerous armed forces (including in the UK) and yes they also compete in "sport" tournaments.

Plus the rising profile of MMA has seen growth in Muay Thai, Brazilian jiu jitsu and wrestling (not of the WWE kind) throughout the world.

Some aspects of BJJ are taught to the army, but not as a complete system, they incorporate all sorts of stuff as there is no chosen MA for combat training. Israeli forces train Krav Maga, Russians train Systema, which are both collections of techniques from different MA perspectives/teachings that get the job done. I don't like MMA because it claims to test/showcase the skills of the world martial artists, but it doesn't. If I want to see a good Muay Thai fight, I will watch one, they are great. I would not tune into MMA and hope to see a couple of Muay Thai techniques in a mess of grovelling around.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Does it even count on the record if it isn't even against a boxer? We could all have a 50-0 record if we can pick the opponent.

Good point. What is he thinking climbing into the ring with Mayweather then? Granted, he has been given a boxing licence to fight Mayweather but that does not make him a pro level boxer. Oh, and I think you will find it is Colin that has picked the opponent with his mass media hype and provocation. Not sure that Mayweather should have agreed to the fight, I just hope he destroys him and puts off any other 'have a go' tw*ts from wasting our time. Its all about the dough for McBiggun, does nothing for either sport.

Last edited:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Some aspects of BJJ are taught to the army, but not as a complete system, they incorporate all sorts of stuff as there is no chosen MA for combat training. Israeli forces train Krav Maga, Russians train Systema, which are both collections of techniques from different MA perspectives/teachings that get the job done.

I was highlighting BJJ in the military as you questioned it's effectiveness when trained in a sport setting. My point was that the military do train it. Part of the reason why is because it is believed to be effective. As a point of fact the amount of personnel in the UK armed forces who train is growing. Additionally the British Army has a team that regularly compete. One of the reasons for competing is to give people the chance to test the skills they have learnt.

Israeli forces train Krav Maga, Russians train Systema, which are both collections of techniques from different MA perspectives/teachings that get the job done.

"collections of techniques" ..... so a mix of martial arts? kind of like MMA?

I don't like MMA because it claims to test/showcase the skills of the world martial artists, but it doesn't. If I want to see a good Muay Thai fight, I will watch one, they are great. I would not tune into MMA and hope to see a couple of Muay Thai techniques in a mess of grovelling around.

MMA does showcase the skills of martial artists in the only way it can. In order to incorporate kicking, striking and grappling the ruleset has to be pretty open. That can appear to be a mess but it definitely is not a mess. As for "grovelling around", I'll just put that down to a lack of appreciation of groundfighting.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here