Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

US election (merged threads)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Difference is that I disagree with you but I don't call you an idiot for doing so.
I don't think you're an idiot. Definititely not you in fact. So in response to you and [MENTION=310]ditchy[/MENTION], I should say that I don't believe all brexiters are idiots, it is just that their campaign appealed to the lowest common denominator and this appealed to the stupidest people in society far more than the remain campaign. I know plenty of more intelligent people than me who voted brexit. Anyway that is where the parallel is with Trump's campaign imo.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I think Clinton must be even more unpopular than we thought - that must be as big as factor as any attraction that voting Trump has.

Say what you will about Americans, but they can spot a narcissistic sociopath when they see one...actually come to think of it, one was going to win either way.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I don't think you're an idiot. Definititely not you in fact. So in response to you and [MENTION=310]ditchy[/MENTION], I should say that I don't believe all brexiters are idiots, it is just that their campaign appealed to the lowest common denominator and this appealed to the stupidest people in society far more than the remain campaign. I know plenty of more intelligent people than me who voted brexit. Anyway that is where the parallel is with Trump's campaign imo.

Fair point simster

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

I'm not sure anyone is qualified to speculate as to who is right and who is wrong on Brexit or the Presidency. The truth of that will not be known for several years to come when history will determine the answer

Blame the crappy system that gave Americans these two candidates.

I can't believe people think Clinton had a right to be in the Whitehouse. She is bought and paid for by some serious dodgy people.

Trump spoke to the working class and middle class who have seen their industries decimated in the name of corporate profit.

The I know betters will never learn. You can't insult the people you consider below you, and get away with it. Merkel and Hollande will soon find this out in the 2017 elections.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The worse thing is Trump's stance on the environment, its taken a long time to get America to wake up the thread of climate change and we will now almost certainly take a massive step backwards, the Paris agreement could well be in tatters

Tragic times for a lot of Americans, but at least they only have 4 years, there is hope

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You'd need to live here for 26 years to understand what happened tonight. As a proud Brit exiled in the US, I'd encourage you to not be afraid about Trump. The USA was heading to the dogs. The country needed to throw out the smug, elite ruling class. Yes it'll be messy but the people spoke and they won tonight. A government truly for the people, by the people.

Please don't come on here and say some truths as the usual brigade prefer the theory. Whilst I never really detected biased BBC coverage of recent elections here, though they were accused of it, I did think that the media reporters went out of their way to have a go at Trump. True, he hardly helped himself with his sometimes crude outbursts, but they were only too pleased to raise it again and again. We were repeatedly told that he had an uphill struggle due to having alienated millions of women, Hispanics and blacks (you fill in the rest) and whilst he doubtless did to an extent, it was clearly never as bad as regularly forecast. Perhaps the Washington swamp did indeed need draining!

There are surely lessons to be learnt here. The referendum result is well known and we are seeing, however nicely dressed up as "it is only about process" attempts by the snooterati to overturn something that the plebs voted for, because they could not have known any better. "Right-wingers"/ readers of the DM and the Sun and any other journal that does not fit the pattern,are regularly denigrated on here as being thick, clueless, numpties, wacists, etc etc, despite the fact, that when it comes to immigration at least, those in working class areas where there are already high immigration levels, are the ones who will be most affected, and have the most personal experience on which to draw. Doubtless some folk in these areas do have questionable motives, but you cannot label everyone as so. Far from it.You cannot expect large sections of society to feel ignored and loyal. Another swamp closer to home might need draining . .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here