Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Total anarchy in Hastings for Amber Rudd

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What a complete buffoon, always going to rely on getting a leg up from someone because you are unable to think past the 'because I deserve it' mantra.

Does this mean that you think there are people who deserve to starve ?

Can we not, as a society, show compassion to those who are less fortunate and less able to manage (some of them much less able) ? Personally I'd be happy to pay another couple of pence in income tax (and I pay a lot already) in order to properly fund disability benefits and social care.
The callousness of the government is displayed in thier even mentioning the foxhunting issue; for them and thier cronies riding around chasing animals is more important than nurses using food banks.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Can we not, as a society, show compassion to those who are less fortunate and less able to manage (some of them much less able) ? Personally I'd be happy to pay another couple of pence in income tax (and I pay a lot already) in order to properly fund disability benefits and social care.
The callousness of the government is displayed in thier even mentioning the foxhunting issue; for them and thier cronies riding around chasing animals is more important than nurses using food banks.

I think many posters that may have different political leanings ALSO do not mind paying a few pence to those that GENUINELY need it.
If a different political persuasion means you are not in the so called caring and sharing liberal left area, then you are perceived as uncaring, and the guilt trip begins.....again.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Corbyn’s warm-up act tweeted about the ‘N****r race’
Labour under fire after Bethany Barker, who introduced Jeremy Corbyn at the local election rally last month has been exposed for posting racist tweets.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
always amuses me, so today i think we'll ask, name a policy under this government that is "for the rich". i can think of one borderline (that benefits anyone).

and on anecdotes, a couple i know used to live in Hastings slight left wing, were screwed by the last Labour government's nanny state largess known as working tax credits. they got caught up in the "you got paid more than we thought you should " debacle and had to pay back thousands. they didnt "need" the credits in the first place but were encouraged to claim. when she got a better job that took them above the threshold, she said that was that was best part of the promotion, and would never vote Labour again for causing so much stress.

Here's another anecdote..

This exact thing happened to me very recently under a Tory governement. Luckily it was only a few hundred, but that was only through my concerns and forcing them to check, which I had to do 3 times over a period of 6 weeks befoe they actually worked it all out.

So what now? ???

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
She's also publicly made derogatory remarks on Hastings and it's people, (on drugs and benefits) as have others on this thread, which for some reason don't go down too well with everyone in Hastings, rather like her comments at the Conservative Party conference in the autumn as Home Secretary did too, on lists of all known and suspected foreigners being provided by business.

Being born in Hastings and growing up and living in the area most of my live, I can understand the growing backlash against her, although there's no certainty her seat is at risk despite this and her not considerable majority.

Where has she made these comments? I haven't seen such a thing. Has she made comments about "Hastings people" as you simplistically mention it. Or were comments made about those who are making little effort to help themselves? At least you seem to be on a more realistic plain today - yesterday she was struggling to hold on due to the "backlash" you refer to but again offer no evidence to back this up, other than your friends agree with you.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

It is never going to be that simple - how do you know that that couple of pence would actually go towards social care? And, assuming that the cash does go to the intended people, how do you know that those who then see a flood of cash, actually need it? Most folk will know of someone who gets some sort of benefit which they do not really need and it is thus not surprising that increasing taxes is not popular.
Your final sentence is absurd -who says that the foxhunting issue is more important -they are not linked at all and you have just decided that they think one is more important than another. And do all nurses use food banks?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It is never going to be that simple - how do you know that that couple of pence would actually go towards social care? And, assuming that the cash does go to the intended people, how do you know that those who then see a flood of cash, actually need it? Most folk will know of someone who gets some sort of benefit which they do not really need and it is thus not surprising that increasing taxes is not popular.
Your final sentence is absurd -who says that the foxhunting issue is more important -they are not linked at all and you have just decided that they think one is more important than another. And do all nurses use food banks?

Do no nurses use food banks ?
What is an acceptable number ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Where has she made these comments? I haven't seen such a thing. Has she made comments about "Hastings people" as you simplistically mention it. Or were comments made about those who are making little effort to help themselves? At least you seem to be on a more realistic plain today - yesterday she was struggling to hold on due to the "backlash" you refer to but again offer no evidence to back this up, other than your friends agree with you.

She made them in a well known FT interview years back and they caused great offence. I'm sure you'd agree with her though - https://www.ft.com/content/97b6f7e6-ad46-11e2-b27f-00144feabdc0

You definitely still seem to be on an arrogant, pompous, condescending, plain today again though, so nothing much has changed for you. :thumbsup:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
You know when "Ore" votes in a Tory in the recent county elections that there is no way Amber Rudd will be ousted ... its Turkeys voting for Christmas !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You know when "Ore" votes in a Tory in the recent county elections that there is no way Amber Rudd will be ousted ... its Turkeys voting for Christmas !

Probably not, but Labour did get the most votes across Hastings as a whole. The winning margin in the Baird & Ore ward was just 71 from Labour, less than the number who voted both Green & Lib Dem candidates.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Of course I do not think that people should starve, but unlike MikeyJH I do not think that someone unable to pay their mortgage is any less deserving than someone struggling to put food on the table, hell maybe they are better off cos they have a table?! I would be happy to pay 'a couple of pence more tax' to improve services, but Looney Jezza wants to put 7 per cent onto corporation tax! As for abolishing all university fees, why? We send too many of our young to University already, raising unrealistic expectations of how many high earning jobs are actually out there. We need people to do average jobs, don't waste public money training everyone to be rocket scientists when we don't need rocket scientists. But hey, everything for everyone is Jezza's mantra even if they haven't worked for it.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Probably not, but Labour did get the most votes across Hastings as a whole. The winning margin in the Baird & Ore ward was just 71 from Labour, less than the number who voted both Green & Lib Dem candidates.

Labour need to win those areas comfortably as Brede etc will be very Tory and unfortunately return Amber as MP

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Of course I do not think that people should starve, but unlike MikeyJH I do not think that someone unable to pay their mortgage is any less deserving than someone struggling to put food on the table, hell maybe they are better off cos they have a table?! I would be happy to pay 'a couple of pence more tax' to improve services, but Looney Jezza wants to put 7 per cent onto corporation tax! As for abolishing all university fees, why? We send too many of our young to University already, raising unrealistic expectations of how many high earning jobs are actually out there. We need people to do average jobs, don't waste public money training everyone to be rocket scientists when we don't need rocket scientists. But hey, everything for everyone is Jezza's mantra even if they haven't worked for it.

Who should do the average jobs? Only those who can't afford to go to university?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
She made them in a well known FT interview years back and they caused great offence. I'm sure you'd agree with her though - https://www.ft.com/content/97b6f7e6-ad46-11e2-b27f-00144feabdc0

You definitely still seem to be on an arrogant, pompous, condescending, plain today again though, so nothing much has changed for you. :thumbsup:

Exactly as I thought. I did you the courtesy of reading your link, and she made no comment at all about "Hastings people", as you decided to put that spin on it to lend some credence to your bias. What she said is quoted here: “You get people who are on benefits, who prefer to be on benefits by the seaside. They’re not moving down here to get a job, they’re moving down here to have easier access to friends and drugs and drink.” Unless you are totally unprepared to accept reality, you, like I, will see these people on St Leonards seafront, and if you walk past, you will hear all sorts of accents. It is quite clear that what she said is very different to the spin you were trying to put on it. She was quite clearly NOT talking about "Hastings people" but those who have been lured to the coast. Indeed as a then prospective candidate, it would have been political suicide to insult those on whose votes you later depend and it is totally illogical.
So instead of following the usual cheap NSC tactic of resorting to insults, I suggest that you think rather more carefully about what you post.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Who should do the average jobs? Only those who can't afford to go to university?

Perhaps those who do not gain the best results in higher education? Perhaps if we cut the overall number of University places available we can offer the remaining ones to those with the most aptitude at reduced or even zero cost. Perhaps after that there could be stepped grant system put in place to help others who are really keen to learn further? Almost like the 80's perhaps :lol:, what we do not need is an open door to every non academic to avoid going to work for a few years longer but to continue to waste both their time and others money by doing Media Studies and Sociology, after a gap year of course.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Labour need to win those areas comfortably as Brede etc will be very Tory and unfortunately return Amber as MP

Brede is Bexhill & Battle, but there are other areas like that though - Icklesham for example.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Exactly as I thought. I did you the courtesy of reading your link, and she made no comment at all about "Hastings people", as you decided to put that spin on it to lend some credence to your bias. What she said is quoted here: “You get people who are on benefits, who prefer to be on benefits by the seaside. They’re not moving down here to get a job, they’re moving down here to have easier access to friends and drugs and drink.” Unless you are totally unprepared to accept reality, you, like I, will see these people on St Leonards seafront, and if you walk past, you will hear all sorts of accents. It is quite clear that what she said is very different to the spin you were trying to put on it. She was quite clearly NOT talking about "Hastings people" but those who have been lured to the coast. Indeed as a then prospective candidate, it would have been political suicide to insult those on whose votes you later depend and it is totally illogical.
So instead of following the usual cheap NSC tactic of resorting to insults, I suggest that you think rather more carefully about what you post.

Insult Hastings directly like she did here as a prospective candidate you mean? - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ries-fight-on-2-fronts-in-new-hastings-battle

I really not too bothered by what a condescending, pompous, arrogant person like you thinks about the fact you think you're being courteous to me by reading a link, offering me your opinions on it and a town you're not from, but presumably now live in because it's cheap and just to give you an even more inflated sense of superiority of yourself over others and local people in Hastings you refer to as 'rag tag' on this thread.

If it's being spun, its not me making a spin on it - the local Labour party have been dining out on her various pearls of wisdom on Hastings and other things, such as anal sex as she referred to gay marriage as, for years, so it doesn't matter a jot what you think about it really - http://labourlist.org/2014/07/unbelieveably-david-cameron-has-actually-made-this-mp-a-minister/ and http://labourlist.org/2013/04/what-not-to-say-in-an-interview-a-quick-guide-for-mps/

Please save your indignation and any further suggestions for the readers comments section of The Daily Mail - you're more likely to find a like minded individual there who'd be keen to to take on-board your advice and views than you will with me. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
These are just a few things I have quickly cut-and-paste from articles easily findable online from the last few years; some are on the same theme but from different budgets. There are others - take your pick.

you've fallen into the trap of reciting lots of analysis about consequences, skirting around the actual question with other information, most relating to previous government and some even from the government before that (QE). in the spirit of the the question "name a policy for the rich", i concede you've noted one policy for the rich, the reduction of the top rate of tax, which Labour had brought in during the last months of their tenancy.

point is that most to all economic related policy of this (and the previous) government are for the benefit of the 10s of millions moderatly well off, not "the rich" as claimed.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Insult Hastings directly like she did here as a prospective candidate you mean? - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ries-fight-on-2-fronts-in-new-hastings-battle

I really not too bothered by what a condescending, pompous, arrogant person like you thinks about the fact you think you're being courteous to me by reading a link, offering me your opinions on it and a town you're not from, but presumably now live in because it's cheap and just to give you an even more inflated sense of superiority of yourself over others and local people in Hastings you refer to as 'rag tag' on this thread.

If it's being spun, its not me making a spin on it - the local Labour party have been dining out on her various pearls of wisdom on Hastings and other things, such as anal sex as she referred to gay marriage as, for years, so it doesn't matter a jot what you think about it really - http://labourlist.org/2014/07/unbelieveably-david-cameron-has-actually-made-this-mp-a-minister/ and http://labourlist.org/2013/04/what-not-to-say-in-an-interview-a-quick-guide-for-mps/

Please save your indignation and any further suggestions for the readers comments section of The Daily Mail - you're more likely to find a like minded individual there who'd be keen to to take on-board your advice and views than you will with me. :thumbsup:

Well, well well -who would have thought it? A snooty leftie who derides a politician and then says exactly the same condescending thing about Hastings himself! And then comes the spin -the expression "rag tag" referred to the usual small minority of rabble who indulge in vandalism and not the people of Hastings as you well know, but given how you tried to spin Amber Rudd's comments, this is of course quite true to form.

Fascinating comment on how the local labour party have been dining out on her comments - is this the same local Labour party that just lost three seats in the local elections - the dining hasn't gone too well, then, has it? Still, the manifesto is out now and all will be well . . .won't it? . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here