Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving while wearing headphones/earphones? Dodgy?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I don't think deaf people can drive LGV/PCVs on the technicality they can't alert emergency services via phone if there is an accident/ breakdown situation? May be wrong ???

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Having earphones in could take away concentration,a distant sound of an emergency vehicle approaching might not be heard,if one has earphones in their ears....personally i don't use them,but some of my fellow 7.5 tonne drivers do,i prefer to be able to hear and concentrate whilst driving a potential killing machine..

Besides some ear phones used by HGV/LGV drivers are plugged into the rear facing cameras microphone..

Ever tried clutch control-v-engine revs ? Its not that hard.

Erm, I've been driving for 30 years.

Some may have to think about it, some don't.

Guess you're in the Radio off, don't talk I'm pulling away camp.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I don't think deaf people can drive LGV/PCVs on the technicality they can't alert emergency services via phone if there is an accident/ breakdown situation? May be wrong ???

data can be sent using an emergency button an a mobile worker and use of keyboard to the haulier if fitted.Regarding being deaf,so long as the DVLA is aware and an assessment of just how bad a hearing problem is,driving such vehicles is still permitted,is my understanding..

Spun Cuppa

I'd guess there is some element of hearing in your launch mode ??? You don't pull away at 500 revs, or 4500 ???

Perhaps it's subliminal, but sound does play a big part in you not having a new clutch every 20 000 miles :)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I think the law says you have to be aware of everything going on around you otherwise its driving without due care and attention.

I suppose its one of those laws you dont think about untill you are stuffed by it. Holding up the old bill while nodding your head to the latest Pop tunes will no doubt get the full law dumped on your head.

Maybe @ednakrabapple knows?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Also, how do they gauge the revs of the engine when pulling away etc

With the rev counter, surely? You can also feel it through the clutch in a manual very easily.

Its also pretty much entirely natural for an experienced driver; I don't think I ever even look at the rev counter anymore.

Spun Cuppa

Having earphones in could take away concentration,a distant sound of an emergency vehicle approaching might not be heard,if one has earphones in their ears....personally i don't use them,but some of my fellow 7.5 tonne drivers do,i prefer to be able to hear and concentrate whilst driving a potential killing machine..

Besides some ear phones used by HGV/LGV drivers are plugged into the rear facing cameras microphone..

Sounds like a nice way to while away a few hours trunking up a nice motorway :nono:

:jester:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Yep , the ones on the bikes with them are the best, totally oblivious to whats going on around them.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yep , the ones on the bikes with them are the best, totally oblivious to whats going on around them.

Pretty much this,ignorance of the most astounding nature.....

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am astounded as to how many people cycle without wearing a helmet. Seperate topic, clearly.

I encountered two kids, possibly 12 and 7, cycling about Burgess Hill. No apparent understading of road safety and no helmets on either of them. Cracking parenting.

dogwalker

Nov 4, 2012
Point taken but with a helmet on you are virtually deaf, but this does not affect your ability to drive/ride safely as some have suggested.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Hey,Hillian Snap 30 years plus,and yep you are as just like me a crap driver !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here