Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

After 29 games last year!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Injuries, Poyet fall out and Oscar being new to England aside what I think we need to take into account is the way Oscar is bring through the development squad players. They need game time to adjust to the step up in class and they cannot be expected to be as solid as the very experienced players Gus brought in. OK the defence is ageing and occasionally creaks but has been pretty good overall, where we have to be patient is with Ince, March, JFC, Chicksen all of whom look good enough but lack experience of high pressure games in the Championship, they are the future of the club although they may not yet be top end players. If we do maintain a play off push I think it will be an incredible achievement rather than something we should be expecting.

I don't quite subscribe to the Oscar bringing through young talent argument.

Ince's inclusion was pretty much forced by the absence of Bridcutt - although kudos to Oscar for identifying him as a midfield player, looks an inspired spot. Certainly deserves massive credit for that. Had Bridcutt been fit all season, not sure we would have seen quite so much of Ince.

But Jake Forster-Caskey was already in and around the first team squad and would have probably been more involved this season anyway, while Solly March could arguably have been used earlier in the season after an impressive pre-season. It has taken injuries to Lua Lua, Buckley and the failure to re-sign Conway for March to get in the match day squad.

Am probably coming across as anti-Oscar. I am not. Honestly.

I just don't quite agree he has been a revelation.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Surely the point being made by the OP is about the here and now? Not what happened by the end of the season.

After 29 games last year, Poyet's team that he had worked with for years, had no major injury concerns and were well used to playing his system, achieved less than Oscar's current team.

Oscar, who did not have a full pre-season, has had no shortage of injuries, has had the previous double winning player of the year down tools (and been injured anyway), has given licence for players like Ince, JFC and March more playing time, who has never played or managed in England, whose ideas and style of play will not have been fully implemented because of the constant chopping and changing of personnel due to injuries!

It's not about whether he gets the same points as last year is it? I believe he will prove to be a better manager than Poyet given time but he has only been here 6.5 months!

Taking all the off field issues into account as well, anyone who honestly believes Oscar is not doing a good job really is not being realistic at all IMHO.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I am not knocking Oscar. I imagine he is over-achieving on our budget in comparison to other teams at this level, if not quite as dramatically as Poyet.

Just don't think there is much mileage in comparing this season with last until it is all done and dusted. Oscar's budget increased this summer - that is a fact - but yes, we had injuries and the team is still there or thereabouts, which he deserves credit for.

But then again, we didn't have either Upson or Ulloa until January last year and the second half of last season will be very difficult to match this time round.

Between his suspension and injury we didn't exactly have much of Ulloa before January this season either although having Upson from the start has tightened us up at the back, Taking everything into account I think Oscar is doing a brilliant job this season just to be keeping us within touching distance of the play off's.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Surely the point being made by the OP is about the here and now? Not what happened by the end of the season.

After 29 games last year, Poyet's team that he had worked with for years, had no major injury concerns and were well used to playing his system, achieved less than Oscar's current team.

Oscar, who did not have a full pre-season, has had no shortage of injuries, has had the previous double winning player of the year down tools (and been injured anyway), has given licence for players like Ince, JFC and March more playing time, who has never played or managed in England, whose ideas and style of play will not have been fully implemented because of the constant chopping and changing of personnel due to injuries!

It's not about whether he gets the same points as last year is it? I believe he will prove to be a better manager than Poyet given time but he has only been here 6.5 months!

Taking all the off field issues into account as well, anyone who honestly believes Oscar is not doing a good job really is not being realistic at all IMHO.

Poyet had League 1 players who got an automatic extension to their contracts, so he had to use them in Championship matches. He also had his fair share of injury problems last season.
Oscar is doing a good job and we are still in contention, but please don't write off the previous two years as an easy ride.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
This thread needs to be a sticky! Too many moaners on here who are expecting too much! We're still on target to achieve our aim for this season, which is remarkable given the circumstances (Poyet, injuries, finances and new manager). There's still FIFTY ONE points to play for, we only need 70% of those points to reach the playoffs (75 points is usually enough, though this year it may be more to finish sixth). If we win 10 out of 17 games left, and draw another two, we'll reach the 75 point mark. We still have Ipswich at home, Reasing at home, and Forest away. Those are the games which will define our season IMO

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All good esp considering the players OG has had available to him.

But lets not forget the total capitulation of ALL of the teams in and around the top 8 last season.
That's not going to happen again.
We could go on a similar run to last season, and it still be a nail biting finish.

1 chicken
2 chickens
3 chickens

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Poyet had League 1 players who got an automatic extension to their contracts, so he had to use them in Championship matches. He also had his fair share of injury problems last season.
Oscar is doing a good job and we are still in contention, but please don't write off the previous two years as an easy ride.

No he didn't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't quite subscribe to the Oscar bringing through young talent argument.

Ince's inclusion was pretty much forced by the absence of Bridcutt - although kudos to Oscar for identifying him as a midfield player, looks an inspired spot. Certainly deserves massive credit for that. Had Bridcutt been fit all season, not sure we would have seen quite so much of Ince.

We'll never know if Gus would have gambled on Ince this season or whether he would have brought in experienced loan players. We don't know if Oscar had that option and decided against it. I guess my point is that Poyet did great things on the field for us and I believe Oscar will do the same. It's not a case of comparing managers just accepting that Oscar has, so far, done a good job in difficult circumstances and we shouldn't really be comparing last season with this as there are so many things that have happened this season, it's not a given that we would have improved on last season even if Gus was still here imo.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This thread needs to be a sticky! Too many moaners on here who are expecting too much! We're still on target to achieve our aim for this season, which is remarkable given the circumstances (Poyet, injuries, finances and new manager). There's still FIFTY ONE points to play for, we only need 70% of those points to reach the playoffs (75 points is usually enough, though this year it may be more to finish sixth). If we win 10 out of 17 games left, and draw another two, we'll reach the 75 point mark. We still have Ipswich at home, Reasing at home, and Forest away. Those are the games which will define our season IMO

If our aim for this season was to reach the play offs, we are not on target for it. And I can't see us winning 10 of the 17 remaining games.

That said, I will be happy with a top ten finish this season - so on course for that.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We'll never know if Gus would have gambled on Ince this season or whether he would have brought in experienced loan players. We don't know if Oscar had that option and decided against it. I guess my point is that Poyet did great things on the field for us and I believe Oscar will do the same. It's not a case of comparing managers just accepting that Oscar has, so far, done a good job in difficult circumstances and we shouldn't really be comparing last season with this as there are so many things that have happened this season, it's not a given that we would have improved on last season even if Gus was still here imo.

Agree completely.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013

Huh? When did I mention the previous 2 years?

Last season he had bought Bruno, Orlandi, PIG, David, Crofts, CMS, Buckley since promotion from League 1.

I can't see the point you're making? Besides, my point was about Oscar's team this season compared to Poyet's team last season up to this point. (Which is exactly what this thread is about)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Huh? When did I mention the previous 2 years?

Last season he had bought Bruno, Orlandi, PIG, David, Crofts, CMS, Buckley since promotion from League 1.

I can't see the point you're making? Besides, my point was about Oscar's team this season compared to Poyet's team last season up to this point. (Which is exactly what this thread is about)

I quoted you & put in bold - Poyet's team that he had worked with for years. Then you want to include 6 new players that he brought in.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I quoted you & put in bold - Poyet's team that he had worked with for years. Then you want to include 6 new players that he brought in.

But you didn't quote me accurately did you?

The sentence finished with....and were used to his way of playing... So the point being that Oscar has not had been able to implement his style fully yet.

Players come and go, my point never said that he worked with the same players for years did it?

Besides, the fact that he bought players in that he wanted to fit into his style merely strengthens the argument that Oscar is doing a good job as he has not had the time yet to bring in 'his' players to suit his style.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
And yet it still included naff matches as the home draw against Charlton....away draw against Bristol City (lucky to get points in both)...and defeat at Barnsley...the poor form of others helped if i recall correctly

eh? We absolutely battered Charlton at home, including hitting the woodwork twice in injury time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But you didn't quote me accurately did you?

The sentence finished with....and were used to his way of playing... So the point being that Oscar has not had been able to implement his style fully yet.

Players come and go, my point never said that he worked with the same players for years did it?

Besides, the fact that he bought players in that he wanted to fit into his style merely strengthens the argument that Oscar is doing a good job as he has not had the time yet to bring in 'his' players to suit his style.

I quoted the whole post. Oscar has also brought in his own players, we are led to believe.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He's done a fantastic job considering how much weaker our squad is and the injuries we've been plagued with all season.

However our form in the final third of last season was extraordinary, there is no way we will be able to match it or even come close.

What a pessimist. We'll see.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oscar's done a fine job I think. It's a shame some people equate being quiet publicly with being clueless. The points tally has already proved that wrong. Poyet would've been unbearable given this season's injury list and the financial restrictions during the transfer window.

The TRUTH.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We should be doing better, our budget increased this season after all...

Lets see where we finish before getting too excited. We did go on a pretty amazing run at the end of last season.

At the beginning of the season I thought a top ten position would be decent enough. Not changed my mind on that.

Our budget HAS increased (allegedly), but you have to factor in the injuries we've suffered c.f. last season, and the poisonous situation Gus created over the summer that gave Oscar little time to prepare. In this context, Oscar has done a great job to get us to where we are at this stage.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Great post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here