Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Were you a Skinhead

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Yeah was at the match in the end opposite where we were supposed to be... there were a LOT of Brighton in that end that match. Before the internet etc, but for several weeks before the match, all you heard in bars and clubs was Palace end, no scarves. I remember them scattering when the teams came out, and they realised there was a very large group of Brighton in their end.
I remember that group included Dave Clarke (RIP).

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
Yeah Castle Square gang, Level gang, Sunday nights in the Suite, Symarip - Skinhead Moonstomp, Saturdays in the North Stand, away days to Luton , great days.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No but Slade was my favourite band in the early 70's.

I was too much of a coward to be a skin!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No, do I look like a moron?

My favourite recollection of the skinhead revival was at Selhurst Park in 1978. About an hour before kick-off us Brighton fans were congregating on the top half of the Whitehorse Lane terrace when in filed about 20 boneheads in flight jackets, bleached jeans and DMs. They were immediately spotted as Palace because at that time there were no skinheads amongst us. Down poured 50+ Brighton kicking and thumping and chased them over the hoardings and onto the pitch, one of them going head over heels with his boots in the air. I can picture the leading Brighton fan - long curly hair, flat cap and braces. Anyone else remember this?

My mate from school was a copper on duty for that game ad he was the one at the bottom of the stand throwing them back into the brighton fans that day!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Attachments

• Slade-skins.jpg
    Slade-skins.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Was actually a skinhead before I was a Mod, wrong way round I know, but didn't like the political undertones with the skinheads of the late seventies and found myself much more at home as a Mod. For those who don't know the original Mods became either stricter in their dress and view of the world, sta press, Ben Sherman, braces and Docs or monkey boots or more liberal and free such as the psychodelic period and the 'hippies; Always remember as a Mod, a guy called Beakie who was a skinhead in Brighton, never saw him but was in more scraps with skinheads than bikers. In those days it was fists and boots/shoes, not knives etc of today.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'm a skinhead but centred around a different music scene. Dutch gabber/hardcore.
The really early scene, gabber at least, started in Germany and because of the shaved head, a lot of outsiders associated it with racism and neo-nazis. I'd imagine British skinheads back in the day were also tarred with the same brush.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Same. Individually they were no doubt perfectly nice to their dear old nan, but get them together in a pack at a punk gig and it was like letting loose a pack of feral rottweilers. Even Jimmy Pursey disowned them in the end. ****s.

Whn I saw Sham 69 at the the original Roxy in Neal Street there were some former skin heads at the gig, but they were in a terrible state, very badly dressed, hair grown out somewhat. This was August 1977. One of the oafs threw half a can of beer off the stage which tonked me on the nose. I was bemused. It was all extremely naff and proto-Oy! The punks in the audience were not impressed. I think I tutted a couple of times.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Yeah Castle Square gang, Level gang, Sunday nights in the Suite, Symarip - Skinhead Moonstomp, Saturdays in the North Stand, away days to Luton , great days.
What were the gangs called in those days? I remember gangs called West Hove Mafia and the Saunders Park Mob (mostly lads from Moulsecoomb/Bevendean). Castle Square and the Level gangs had certain specific names but can't remember now. Sunday night at the Top Rank was a great night out, trying to get upstairs to the drinks. Sometimes I could, sometime I couldn't depending who were the bouncers at the bottom of the stairs. I remember my older sister teaching me the moves to Skinhead Moonstomp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here