Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Were you a Skinhead

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I remember that. Was trying to walk along the back of the NS with my dad dodging the fighting skins. Was it Boxing Day?

Not sure the main Brighton fans had been chased out and then some more fans came in walked in front of them from the chicken run and they piled down on them and it ended up in the goalmouth fighting before the game started.
I think it was the season we drew 1-1 @ Bournmouth away that was not pretty either. Bournmouth was full of skinheads in those days.

Not sure the main Brighton fans had been chased out and then some more fans came in(HAYWARDS HEATH) walked in front of them from the chicken run and they piled down on them and it ended up in the goalmouth fighting before the game started.
I think it was the season we drew 1-1 @ Bournmouth away that was not pretty either. Bournmouth was full of skinheads in those days.
:facepalm:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
no, they were nasty, evil cowards (where I grew up).

Same. Individually they were no doubt perfectly nice to their dear old nan, but get them together in a pack at a punk gig and it was like letting loose a pack of feral rottweilers. Even Jimmy Pursey disowned them in the end. ****s.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
No, do I look like a moron?

My favourite recollection of the skinhead revival was at Selhurst Park in 1978. About an hour before kick-off us Brighton fans were congregating on the top half of the Whitehorse Lane terrace when in filed about 20 boneheads in flight jackets, bleached jeans and DMs. They were immediately spotted as Palace because at that time there were no skinheads amongst us. Down poured 50+ Brighton kicking and thumping and chased them over the hoardings and onto the pitch, one of them going head over heels with his boots in the air. I can picture the leading Brighton fan - long curly hair, flat cap and braces. Anyone else remember this?

My favourite recollection of the skinhead revival was at Selhurst Park in 1978. About an hour before kick-off us Brighton fans were congregating on the top half of the Whitehorse Lane terrace when in filed about 20 boneheads in flight jackets, bleached jeans and DMs. They were immediately spotted as Palace because at that time there were no skinheads amongst us. Down poured 50+ Brighton kicking and thumping and chased them over the hoardings and onto the pitch, one of them going head over heels with his boots in the air. I can picture the leading Brighton fan - long curly hair, flat cap and braces. Anyone else remember this?

In Holmesdale end before ko so missed this:rolleyes:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Same. Individually they were no doubt perfectly nice to their dear old nan, but get them together in a pack at a punk gig and it was like letting loose a pack of feral rottweilers. Even Jimmy Pursey disowned them in the end. ****s.

I hung around with 'The Long Hairs', beating them up was a bit of sport for skins

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Yeah was at the match in the end opposite where we were supposed to be... there were a LOT of Brighton in that end that match. Before the internet etc, but for several weeks before the match, all you heard in bars and clubs was Palace end, no scarves. I remember them scattering when the teams came out, and they realised there was a very large group of Brighton in their end.

Last edited:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yeah was at the match in the end opposite where we were supposed to be... there were a LOT of Brighton in that end that match. Before the internet etc, but for several weeks before the match, all you heard in bars and clubs was Palace end, no scarves. I remember them scattering when the teams came out, and they realised there was a very large group of Brighton in their end.
Didn't it happen also in the seats in the Arthur Waite stand before if was all-seated stadium using that word lightly.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The whole of the North Stand was populated by Skinheads at matches in the late sixties, early seventies. The matches against Luton and Fulham are well documented. Their fans were dressed the same as us, except that they would have had a black and white scarf tied to a belt loop on their Levis. No fan segregation always made it exciting. The adrenalin rush I got from this era at Brighton games has never been matched since.

I remember the days well. I was a skinhead, though not of the violent type -just loved the clothes. But then so many were in Brighton at the time. The Luton matches stand out for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here