Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 78 r.p.m. Records.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I can't find the recent thread on this subject.
I'm having a clear out and have about 25 to get rid of. Free to good home. Can deliver locally in Brighton and Hove, also for free!

Last edited:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
78 inch records!

Hope you've got a nice turntable!!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I don't know - 78" does have to be some kind of record, surely?

And I haven't opened my first bottle of Leffe yet! I was getting my 12" mixed up with my rpms!!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've no idea what era they are as there's no year written on them that I can see.
Here's what's on the first two I took out of the box.

Louise / Today's a Sunny Day for Me - The Three Virginians, on the Piccadilly label.
Ginger - Louisiana Symphony Orchestra. Down in Jungle-Town - Orchestra, on the Winner label.

They're not in particularly good condition so more for collecting rather than playing?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I think you will find the 78 refers to revolutions per minute. My Mum has quite a few and one in particular is a stonker. A football game from the 30s that my Dad got. The disc has about 25 or so concentric grooves , each with a separate football result. The game came with a felt board and you bet on the result. The needle is put on the record and the result is a 1 in 25 or so chance.
Classic Wolstenholme type commentary as well.

'Here's waiting for the final result, listen to the crowd.....full time....Blackburn Rovers 1 Arsenal 2'....

I reckon for collectors of footballing memorabilia it is a must.......

Not many decks do 78 any more though, so there will be limited playing ability.....

TNBA

TTF

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
My Mum has quite a few and one in particular is a stonker. A football game from the 30s that my Dad got. The disc has about 25 or so concentric grooves , each with a separate football result. The game came with a felt board and you bet on the result. The needle is put on the record and the result is a 1 in 25 or so chance.

Nice! I never knew vinyl reached in to those realms, especially during the 30's. I imagine stuff like that would be seen as revolutionary in the 1930's
One thing that's bugging me though... Who was in control of the record player needle? Surely not one of the players? The grooves would be recited after a few games :)

When I was a kid I used to make fruit bowls and ashtrays for my Mum and Grandmothers out of 78's. Bung them in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes and they become pliable. Cheap Christmas presents!

images.jpg

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I sold about 25 78s on ebay recently. Took a while to sell and didn't get much for them. Sold as a job lot. Seems there are some collectors looking for specific artists, but apart from that not worth much.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
When clearing out in laws loft came across a pile of 78s mainly jazz and standard singers.

Eventually put them on Brighton Freecycle and someone was really pleased to get their hands on them. Nobody else was interested.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Nice! I never knew vinyl reached in to those realms, especially during the 30's. I imagine stuff like that would be seen as revolutionary in the 1930's
One thing that's bugging me though... Who was in control of the record player needle? Surely not one of the players? The grooves would be recited after a few games :)

From memory the record spun so fast you couldn't fix the results.

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here