Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
When I went (1980) it was 10%, now about 40%.

It is higher than Germany, but the sausage eaters have 24.6 of their workforce employed by the manufacturing sector, compared to 8.2% in the UK.

As for the reasons for the much smaller element of manufacturing in the UK, that is probably best covered in a separate name calling, point scoring thread. NSC NEEDS binfests, they pay the bills :)
I did some work with a German manufacturer a couple of years ago and was surprised to discover the guy answering the calls on the IT Help desk was a qualified electrician. That is the breadth that an apprenticeship covers. The UK equivalent is an unpaid internship, covering menial tasks.

Pretty sick of listening to people slagging of education, as if there is something wrong in trying to improve yourself. A university education may not make you intelligent, but looking down your nose at people trying to improve themselves does make you ignorant.

I have also covered a few uni open days in the last couple of years, with both my lads. The standards on courses are far in advance of what I was able to cover in the 80's.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Do you know what, I have had a shit year year with my mrs being diagnosed with Cancer, and going in for another operation next Tuesday, I'm enjoying an evening in the sun and get you still get some **** moaning about politics . Tell you what , I'll swap my life for the majority of yours and see how you get on. .

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I did some work with a German manufacturer a couple of years ago and was surprised to discover the guy answering the calls on the IT Help desk was a qualified electrician. That is the breadth that an apprenticeship covers. The UK equivalent is an unpaid internship, covering menial tasks.

Pretty sick of listening to people slagging of education, as if there is something wrong in trying to improve yourself. A university education may not make you intelligent, but looking down your nose at people trying to improve themselves does make you ignorant.

I have also covered a few uni open days in the last couple of years, with both my lads. The standards on courses are far in advance of what I was able to cover in the 80's.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've been an employability officer at uni, and talk to companies and institutions trying to find out what they want.

The same things come up all the time, problem solving skills, communication, ability to work independently and in a team, familiarity with word processing and spreadsheets, presentation skills and so on.

To a large extent these skills are subject agnostic, let's face it, all the facts are already on Google, it's the ability to apply knowledge that has value, the 'why' rather than the 'what', a focus on consequences and causes adds value to whatever you are doing.

There's still a need for STE(A)M courses of course, they are the bedrock of higher education.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just because someone was born in Lincolnshire doesn't make us all thick , do you not understand that ? .If It does to you, then that says a lot about your attitude toward N/S divide

I always thought that Cumberland was thick, whereas Lincolnshire was more chipolata in style?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I've been an employability officer at uni, and talk to companies and institutions trying to find out what they want.

The same things come up all the time, problem solving skills, communication, ability to work independently and in a team, familiarity with word processing and spreadsheets, presentation skills and so on.

To a large extent these skills are subject agnostic, let's face it, all the facts are already on Google, it's the ability to apply knowledge that has value, the 'why' rather than the 'what', a focus on consequences and causes adds value to whatever you are doing.

There's still a need for STE(A)M courses of course, they are the bedrock of higher education.

The workplace, IMO, now needs people who offer skills, much more than knowledge.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Just because someone was born in Lincolnshire doesn't make us all thick , do you not understand that ? .If It does to you, then that says a lot about your attitude toward N/S divide

I love Lincolnshire, been my home for 4 years - some of the most beautiful landscapes in the country and full of genuine people.

Still bunch of thickos... :hilton: oh Ludensian, I'm joking on that part...

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I love Lincolnshire, been my home for 4 years - some of the most beautiful landscapes in the country and full of genuine people.

Still bunch of thickos... :hilton: oh Ludensian, I'm joking on that part...

We'll have to meet up for a beer , I'm sure we'll get on just fine . After all we both support the best team in the world , right :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have to say the past few pages have been a roller coaster of a read. Deft timing with the humour [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION].

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
When the Express starts printing Brexit DOOM you know we're in trouble

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...ens-Euro-EUR-house-price-growth-four-year-low

Meanwhile huge drops in sales of cars last month compared to a year ago compared to a year ago

Vauxhall down 41%
Peugeot down 30%
Ford down 23%
Citroen down 26%
Fiat down 44%

Meanwhile Audi, BMW, Merc, Aston, Land Rover & Porsche doing well or very well. It becoming increasingly clear who are the winners and losers from Brexit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here