Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

heard on talk sport

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Infrastructure couldn't cope with any significant increase in numbers (rail, P&R, catering, toilets, concourses etc). May not even be allowed in terms of getting relevant safety certificates etc
Current design of stadium would require a huge amount of work, probably closing certain stands for a season at least
Additional revenue from even 5000 seats is peanuts compared to PL revenue (£200k per game maybe, assuming all sold, so <5% of annual revenue assuming in PL)
Any relegation would instantly drop crowds, and leave us with those seats empty again

It ain't going to happen. Could possibly squeeze a few in here and there but will be amazed if anything significant is planned.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't see how removing the North Stand roof would effect the arches, as the arches wouldn't be moved, thus still holding up the West and East.

amex-300x224.png

But look. How can you raise those roofs without removing the arches ? If you elevate the roofs, then the arches would obviously have to be raised / rebuilt in order to support it. Whichever way you slice it, you're looking at a MAJOR rebuild after dismantling it.

And that's not something that could be done in the space of a close-season, that's for sure.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
How might that be?

And if you're heading for insults....it's 'you're'.

There was thread during our Amex expansion whereby a number of them criticized our stadium size being ludicrously oversized for our local fan base.

I'm not even going to go down the grammar correction road, it's already beyond immature on here now.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Additional revenue from even 5000 seats is peanuts compared to PL revenue (£200k per game maybe, assuming all sold, so <5% of annual revenue assuming in PL)

The revenue from the whole 30,000 crowd is peanuts in comparison to the Sky millions. When will people realise there is absolutely zero chance of the club considering extra seat expansion. Firstly it's not required, and secondly it's not required.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The revenue from the whole 30,000 crowd is peanuts in comparison to the Sky millions. When will people realise there is absolutely zero chance of the club considering extra seat expansion. Firstly it's not required, and secondly it's not required.

Precisely........

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011

Ok. So why are Spurs and Liverpool expanding!.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
amex-300x224.png

But look. How can you raise those roofs without removing the arches ? If you elevate the roofs, then the arches would obviously have to be raised / rebuilt in order to support it. Whichever way you slice it, you're looking at a MAJOR rebuild after dismantling it.

And that's not something that could be done in the space of a close-season, that's for sure.

I take it you haven't seen Hebbard, Bloom, PB and BG's SECRET expansion plans then:

Expansion.png

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
We shall see. But as TB says in his Forum video, they think they have it about right. Be all but full most games, great atmosphere etc etc. Should we ever go back down, we will never have a half empty stadium as some clubs have experienced.
Our recent season averages show our rough base, allow for a few PL journey hoppers and 30k ish works.

I reckon we could add another thousand and it would be full for all games. Sure it wouldn't all be full if we came down, but it wouldn't be much different to what it's like now.

When most teams go up they get another 10,000 to their average gate. We can't fit another 10,000 in, and, if anything, the size of our home crowd will be lower as we have to give 3,000 to away fans.

I'm not saying we should add 10,000 seats, because if we came back down, we'll have 10,000 empty seats for most games like small clubs like Palace. I'm just saying it really won't be hard to sell out games in the Premier League. We got over 29,000 home fans for games against Burton, Blackburn and Wigan. Sure we are doing well, but can't really say that they are all PL journey hoppers.

I understand your caution though.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I think this only applies to the east and west stands but could be wrong. I've been trying to look at [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION]'s photos to see this, but can't find one from the right angle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128321708@N03/albums/72157651087142822/page5

The "ring of steel" is a complete ring passing through the roof struts.
It's this ring that keeps the arches in place.
If even the north stand roof is raised higher, then this ring will no longer be complete.
This would then allow the arches to move back, causing the whole thing to collapse.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
The "ring of steel" is a complete ring passing through the roof struts.
It's this ring that keeps the arches in place.
If even the north stand roof is raised higher, then this ring will no longer be complete.
This would then allow the arches to move back, causing the whole thing to collapse.

Sure I've seen pictures of the West and East roofs in place without the North's. I believe it's the arches that hold them up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sure I've seen pictures of the West and East roofs in place without the North's. I believe it's the arches that hold them up.

The arches hold ALL the roofs up, not just the east and west. The arches were quite en early part of the construction, they had to be. None of the roofs were in place prior to the arches.

construction-of-brighton-and-hove-albions-american-express-community-cb3xgd.jpg

amex-arch-1292410550-view-0.jpg

I'm sure [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] would have some much better pics illustrating this.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
amex-300x224.png

I can't see the picture for some reason. I have seen pictures where the arches hold up the West and East stands. Are you saying that the North Stand roof acts like a bridge to counter balance the other two stands?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

The roof and arches work in tandem.
But without that ring, none of it would work.

Yes, there are pictures of the W and E in place, but the arches were held up at the time by roof trusses.
The trusses could only be taken down once all the steelwork (including the ring) were in place.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
The arches hold ALL the roofs up, not just the east and west. The arches were quite en early part of the construction, they had to be. None of the roofs were in place prior to the arches.

I'm sure [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] would have some much better pics illustrating this.

But quite clearly there is no North Stand roof in that picture, meaning it could be removed.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

If the arches hold the roofs up, then surely not a problem to remove them, it's if the roofs hold the arches up that you'd be stuffed?

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
If the arches hold the roofs up, then surely not a problem to remove them, it's if the roofs hold the arches up that you'd be stuffed?

This is what I'm thinking :D

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't see the picture for some reason. I have seen pictures where the arches hold up the West and East stands. Are you saying that the North Stand roof acts like a bridge to counter balance the other two stands?

No. The two arches lean back away from each other, counterbalancing each other, pulling the ring of steel up that goes around the whole roof. That steel ring that the arches are attached to goes through all the roof girders.

Think of it like standing opposite someone, holding hands, and leaning back so you counterbalance each others weight without falling backwards. That's what the arches are doing.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
The roof and arches work in tandem.
But without that ring, none of it would work.

Yes, there are pictures of the W and E in place, but the arches were held up at the time by roof trusses.
The trusses could only be taken down once all the steelwork (including the ring) were in place.

Yes, I remember the trusses. I just thought the arches held each stand up and the North Stand roof was attached.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here