Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Love this line in Slant Magazine describing the new KOL album.

'King's of Leon's transformation from the Southern Strokes to Southern Maroon 5 is now complete'

I haven't listened to the album but if it's anything from their 4th album onwards this is spot on.

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill

'King's of Leon's transformation from the Southern Strokes to Southern Maroon 5 is now complete'

I haven't listened to the album but if it's anything from their 4th album onwards this is spot on.

I actually prefer their newer stuff but each to their own. WALLS is definitely worth a listen, certainly better than their last two albums.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I need to listen to that Run The Jewels album. Regards that Kings of Leon review, sadly I think it's spot on. I used to like KoL for just being a band that made cheesy but no pretensions rock that put a smile on your face, the same reason I was a fan of Reef. But I've heard a few tracks from their latest and it's just bland. It doesn't even sound as if they're enjoying themselves very much.

I've been listening to this album this afternoon: 'Junjo Presents: Wins The World Cup.' It's a new re-release of an early 80s Greensleeves concept album by a bloke that I've never heard of before. It's massive - 37 tracks over 2 CDs and very trippy in parts and some lovely dub throughout. Calling @Jack Straw or @daveinprague or @1066familyman as the resident reggae experts to see if they can shed some light on the story behind this.

jun-230x230.jpg

This track in particular is an absolute belter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZF7xCaUQeE

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I need to listen to that Run The Jewels album. Regards that Kings of Leon review, sadly I think it's spot on. I used to like KoL for just being a band that made cheesy but no pretensions rock that put a smile on your face, the same reason I was a fan of Reef. But I've heard a few tracks from their latest and it's just bland. It doesn't even sound as if they're enjoying themselves very much.

I've been listening to this album this afternoon: 'Junjo Presents: Wins The World Cup.' It's a new re-release of an early 80s Greensleeves concept album by a bloke that I've never heard of before. It's massive - 37 tracks over 2 CDs and very trippy in parts and some lovely dub throughout. Calling @Jack Straw or @daveinprague or @1066familyman as the resident reggae experts to see if they can shed some light on the story behind this.

jun-230x230.jpg

This track in particular is an absolute belter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZF7xCaUQeE

There is some controversy over the ownership of this album. I believe it was originally titled "Scientist Wins the World Cup", but typical of Reggae, there are issues regarding who should be credited with what and who owes who how much for whatever. Junjo would be Henry Junjo Lawes, a famous producer of the '80s who died in 1999 who "produced" this album and many more Scientist albums during this period.

Attachments

• Scientis.jpg
    Scientis.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 227

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
There is some controversy over the ownership of this album. I believe it was originally titled "Scientist Wins the World Cup", but typical of Reggae, there are issues regarding who should be credited with what and who owes who how much for whatever. Junjo would be Henry Junjo Lawes, a famous producer of the '80s who died in 1999 who "produced" this album and many more Scientist albums during this period.

Yep. The whole series were originally credited to Scientist.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Any excuse to post this again...never gets tired.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Always claims and counter claims. I remember the Scientist wins the world cup, but its not really my sort of reggae.. so have no info im afraid. Somebody making some dollars though, and thats not easy in the reggae game. Theres been rip offs from time. Coxone Dodd made thousands off artists, who sometimes got as little as 20 dollars for a tune that became a big tune.
[MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Actually at least half of the third album was shit as well.

I've heard this record whilst out and about a fair bit recently (bar staff seem to think it's a safe choice.) It's actually terrifying in its mundanity. Like Buzzer says, they are no longer capable of doing even the limited job that is now put in front of them.

Anyway, the new Esben and The Witch album was released on Friday, 'Older Terrors,' their first for metal stalwarts Seasons of Mist (surely the first and only band ever to migrate from Matador to Seasons of Mist!) It's sees them continue and improve on the longer tracks from 'A New Nature,' to the point where comparisons with Swans and Godspeed are entirely justified. If you can handle the 4 tracks, 45 minutes vibe, I'm sure you'll love it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also - Xam Duo is MJ from Hookworms, komische side project. Well worth a listen if that is up your particular Straße.

Noted. I'm looking forward to listening to this. Resident described its as celestial jazz.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
An album that is right up my street is the eponymously titled 'De Montevert'. She's a Swedish singer/songwriter whose music can sound a lot like Mirel Wagner but also at other times like Laura Marling. Apparently the whole album was recorded over 2 weekends with a few of the tunes being first or second takes and I think it makes the album sound more connected with each tune linking to the other rather well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T6i_nRm9w0

Another nice little surprise is that Sin Fang have released the bonus material from their Spaceland album as an EP in its own right. It's called Space Echoes. It's pretty much an extension of the album and primarily an electronic affair but as you'd expect with an Icelandic band there's a dreamy, folky quality to it too.

https://sinfang.bandcamp.com/album/space-echoes

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Am really enjoying the Soft Hair album - predictably woozy vibe throughout

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Another vote for the Soft Hair here, I heard the album only last night and it's got a lovely vibe to it. Another dreamy soulful album is the new Jim James 'Eternally Even'. He's the lead singer of My Morning Jacket - a band I've heard of a lot but can't say I've ever listened to so no idea if this is his usual bag. It reminds me of the best bits of Ariel Pink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPkde09L2ng

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I bought the new Hope Sandoval album on Monday night from Rough Trade and it comes with a brilliant little bonus disc which has rather saved the album for me. I'm finding the main album a bit flat, to be honest. It's all a bit one-speed except for a few tracks including the excellent Kurt Vile collaboration. I'm going to persevere with it for a bit because I've been such a big fan of Mazzy Star/Warm Inventions.

This is one of the bonus tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwSYKDOKJmA

And this is the Kurt Vile duet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyRJYnAndT0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here