Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

State of the pitch

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surprising this hasn't been mentioned (apologies if it has and I missed it). Our pitch is in a right state, and it doesn't help wityh Our Game. Today's deluge won't help it. How come it has degenerated so badly this season? Do we have time to get it re-turfed in time fot the next home game? :down:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A little surprising that they STILL felt the need to spray gallons of water onto it on Friday, to go with the millions of gallons already there.

D

Deleted User X18H

I believe there are radical plans to deal with the state of the pitch prior to the next home game on 23rd Jan.

I expect any scheduled U21 match moved back to Lancing

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It wasn't even good a few games in to the season. Before the rugby.

D

Deleted User X18H

You could eat you lunch off the old Goldstone pitch in every August

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A little surprising that they S.TILL felt the need to spray gallons of water onto it on Friday, to go with the millions of gallons already there.

As Bruno says the ball isnt moving fast enough so a heavy watering can speed that up across the surface Didnt they say that they were using a new mixture of grass to make it more hard wearing and thicker?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As Bruno says the ball isnt moving fast enough so a heavy watering can speed that up across the surface Didnt they say that they were using a new mixture of grass to make it more hard wearing and thicker?

It had had a heavy watering. The weather saw to that.

There seemed to be areas where the pitch almost had standing water on it, and it cut up badly. Increasing the level of waterlogging is not the same as spraying water on it to give it a little zip.

I suspect that what Bruno was complaining about was compounded by the spray.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Half time Ipswich game the cannon east side between 18yard and centre line stuck in one position creating a quagmire where they water lay. Would have thought being on chalk the pitch would drain quicker?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Half time Ipswich game the cannon east side between 18yard and centre line stuck in one position creating a quagmire where they water lay. Would have thought being on chalk the pitch would drain quicker?

I do not know what type of soil was introduced? Underlying bedrock may not be important? I don't even know what species of grass is used?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Doesnt it drain back to tanks underground to reuse for the spray?

Yes. There is a gap under the soil, then the under soil heating pipes.
Somewhere in NSC Gold are the photos that [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] took of the process.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The rugby didn't help. You could see the sods being dug out the ground by their boots!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I can't remember where I saw it, but apparently most sprinklers before games give the equivalent of 0.25-0.75mm of rainfall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here