Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever found any interesting items?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I once bought a pile of old 78s from Bob Warners shop in Worthing for 1s 6d and included in the pile was a record by Enrico Caruso that was recorded on 1 side only, the other side was blank Sotherbys said it was i of only 6 copies ever made of that song but unfortunately she dropped it and broke it before she could take it up to them to sell for her.

:facepalm:

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
In a similar vein I lost all my old ,mainly Albion, programme collection after moving house. I can only think they were left in the loft and got missed although the removals company did the packing up so maybe they got binned. The programme I was most annoyed at losing was the first ever floodlit game at the Goldstone which I seem to recall was against a team called Frem from Copenhagen I think.

Edit
Just found this online....just as I remembered it !

View attachment 82018

That programme is worth a fortune.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not found anything but in the early 90's, when I would have been in my early teens we moved house and my Mum couldn't be bothered to bring the contents of the attic with us and left a vast amount of original Star Wars toys and memorabilia up there. there were 4 of us kids, all boys, all brought up on Star Wars and there must have easily been about 15 large boxes filled to the brim with figures, bases, space-ships and other stuff. I wince to think how much it would all be worth now.
So somebody will have found them down the line and prob made a small fortune.

*awaits Ernest thread about his nephew finding them.

To make you feel better, the used stuff doesn't go for a fortune. Only the pristine unopened boxes and you'd have had a sad childhood if you had loads like that still in your loft! I passed equal amounts on to my godchildren, they love it and it's good to see kids enjoying them as I once did. That's worth a damned size more that than thinking of them as money money money. You can pick up a stormtrooper etc for a couple of quid or less. Honestly, they're really not as much as people think. They churned out millions and millions of them worldwide remember, hardly a Bible 1st edition ;)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To make you feel better, the used stuff doesn't go for a fortune. Only the pristine unopened boxes and you'd have had a sad childhood if you had loads like that still in your loft! I passed equal amounts on to my godchildren, they love it and it's good to see kids enjoying them as I once did. That's worth a damned size more that than thinking of them as money money money. You can pick up a stormtrooper etc for a couple of quid or less. Honestly, they're really not as much as people think. They churned out millions and millions of them worldwide remember, hardly a Bible 1st edition ;)

A good point.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was clearing out my Dad's loft and found some live letters he has written to my Mum forty years previously- just before they married.

He was most embarrassed.

Apparently 'Norwich' is not a reference to an away game he planned to attend...

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I was clearing out my Dad's loft and found some live letters he has written to my Mum forty years previously- just before they married.

He was most embarrassed.

Apparently 'Norwich' is not a reference to an away game he planned to attend...

Probably not as embarrassed as my Dad was when my wife moved his chair to reveal "Big Jugs" magazine.

Not found anything but in the early 90's, when I would have been in my early teens we moved house and my Mum couldn't be bothered to bring the contents of the attic with us and left a vast amount of original Star Wars toys and memorabilia up there. there were 4 of us kids, all boys, all brought up on Star Wars and there must have easily been about 15 large boxes filled to the brim with figures, bases, space-ships and other stuff. I wince to think how much it would all be worth now.
So somebody will have found them down the line and prob made a small fortune.

*awaits Ernest thread about his nephew finding them.
Mothers, eh?

My mum gave away (to a Scouts' jumble sale) a complete set of first edition 1950s Matchbox Toys, packed in the original "matchboxes" that they came in. If I remember rightly, they cost 1s 6d each when new and there were about seventy items in the complete set. The going rate for just ONE of these toys, in its original box, can be hundreds of pounds these days.

… hardly a Bible 1st edition ;)

I did once find a late fifteenth century edition of the Works of St Thomas Aquinas, printed in Bologna in the 1490s, when I was going through some archives in a library in Tuscany. The place was completely deserted and I had been lent the door key by the custodian, on the understanding that I would return the key to him, when I had finished in the building. Honesty prevailed, but I still wonder whether I could have got away with it, undetected.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I know someone who found a chest full of gold coins in his loft. He declared them to the police, no-one claimed them for 3 years so they became his. Worth a fortune and he was loaded already. Typical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here