Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1975/76

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A nod to those who have commented before. I worked in East Croydon so did not miss our early winner and work was great the next day. The home Palace game had over 30,000 for a night game and their smoke bombs. Very hostile atmosphere.

Home games were great, some already mentioned and there was also Grimsby, where we came from 1-2 down to win 4-2. Fred Binney was le leathal inside the box but we were a different side away and he couldn't play from the half way line.

We crashed at Easter, losing to a resurgent Millwall at the very nasty Den. The next day we took over Aldershot and only drew. There was a pitch invasion at the end, I think the crossbars were broken. These games were on Good Friday & Easter Saturday and on the Easter Monday we had a poor 1-1 with Gillingham. Joe Kinnear had not endeared himself with his lack of effort. he broke his leg and fans jeered as he was carried off.

Wardy played the last 8 games and scored 6. Taylor left in the summer, Mullery took over and didn't need to make a signing for ages. the team was all there, just needed a motivational manager.

Went to Aldershot. Shambols. Gerry Fell plaayed so I recll, or was that another season. Saw one of my school mates on the pitch, in his Sta-Prest, giving it large. And he's a Spurs fan in real life. BK, you cheely monkey ;-)

http://www.northstandchat.com/forumdisplay.php?20-The-Big-Board

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I think this was the game when Palarse winger Peter Taylor came with a big reputation and our Harry Wilson marked him out the game. Everywhere Pete went Harry went too. Probably followed him into the Palarse dressing room at full-time. It was also the time when the 'Seagulls' chant was in full swing. It wasn't born but came of age that night.

That was the game. Taylor had just been called up into the England squad - the first third div player for donkeys years to have been so. After all the hype he hardly got a kick.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
The irony of that season was that Wardy's arrival in the first team pretty much coincided with our nosedive from the promotion frame. When he made his debut at Hereford we were second in the table (with three teams going up) and eight games left to play including the clash at Edgar Street. He scored six goals in six of those fixtures, and yet we only won one of them:

1-1 Hereford (A)
1-1 Rotherham (A)
1-2 Chesterfield (A)
3-0 Port Vale (H)
1-3 Millwall (A)
1-1 Aldershot (A)
1-1 Gillingham (H)
1-1 Sheffield Wednesday (H)

.....which leads me to think that, no matter how good a striker Ward was, maybe the balance of the team was somehow affected during that run-in. Or maybe we simply ran out of steam? No matter what, we certainly made up for it the following season.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I wonder if Steve Piper remembers Peter Taylor playing 4 central defenders at Southend in an attempt to improve the teams poor away form. He played Steve Piper, Graham Winstanley, Dennis Burnett and Andy Rollings and still got beat 4-0

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
My abiding memory of that season was the October friendly with Stoke (when they were a semi-glamorous top-flight side) at the Goldstone. The game celebrated the seventy-fifth anniversary of the Albion. It was the first time that I had seen players from the top division in the flesh and I was spellbound. I was only ten.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Recall me and bruv ran a coach to Aldershot that season £1 per person!???

That was expensive, wasn't it? If you run that through the inflation calculator you get £31.50 in today's money. Seagulls travel will take you all the way to Nottingham and back for only £32.

Inflation, huh? Bites you on the bum...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My abiding memory of that season was the October friendly with Stoke (when they were a semi-glamorous top-flight side) at the Goldstone. The game celebrated the seventy-fifth anniversary of the Albion. It was the first time that I had seen players from the top division in the flesh and I was spellbound. I was only ten.

I remember that as well. I was 7. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Scan 201-001.jpg

Scan 221.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Millwall away on the friday and Aldershot away on the saturday! What a weekend both crazy days!:rolleyes:

I have a flash memory of that day. We'd been to the park in Hassocks and I had heard that we were trailing 2-0 at Millwall. I remember asking my Mum what trailing meant.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

This was my 1st season as season ticket holder - but can remember very little.. I do remember being a little miffed at a new striker joining and replacing Fred Binney.. Binney was my first hero as he hailed from Plymouth and was a friend of my Uncle's family.. quickly forgot this loyalty the next season though! Was this the season that we lost 2-1 away at Grimsby having gone 1-0 up? That game was my first away game, it coinciding, purely by accident with our only visit to my Aunt/Uncle (different to Binney connection!) who were living there! I saw nothing of the game, standing in the Grimsby end with my Uncle on wooden terrace, and cheering on my own having been told that Brighton had taken the lead!! I think we played in green..

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Recall after palace lobbed the smoke bombs on from the south there was a vocal response from the north that i have never heard equaled before or since:moo:

yes,I think it went like this

your gonna get your f*cking heads kicked in :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here