Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we played a better side than that this season?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Have just had a punt on them at 55/1. This strikes me as long odds for a team that maybe has had that magical transformation that can bring about a late charge. Bournemouth were on 54 points after 28 and finished with 90, albeit there was a key difference that they were already top of the League with 54.

Reading in 2012 really did come from nowhere, had 45 after 28 and achieved 44 points from last 18 games. Again there is a difference to this season in that West Ham were top with just 53 from 28.

So it could be done. But there are some crucial differences this time: the two leaders are in a much better position than the competition that Reading and Bournemouth faced. Crucially too, it is inconceivable that more than one team can make a big charge for the simple reason that the challengers have to play each other. I can't see that both Newcastle and Albioncan be dislodged, one maybe but not both.

But I was mightily impressed with Huddersfield. IMO they are being underrated. Chances are that they cannot replicate that form enough from now to season end to get into top two,but I think there's is better than a 55/1 chance they can win the League.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Huddersfield were a really good side and deserved the 3 points! One thing to note though is that the last time Norwood and Kayal played in the midfield together was the home defeat by Brentford.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
They looked like a Premier League side at times. Can't recall any side causing our defence so much trouble in Hughton's time here. They've probably gone a bit under the radar to the media this season but they sent out a message last night. That said, we're not that bad either. Bad night at the office. Looking forward to Brentford already.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Taking nothing away from a very good side but the tactical battle did us no favours. They had 3 in the hole behind the main striker and were constantly on the move. We had Kayla and Norwood in the central midfield on a hiding to nothing and should have had Slidell in a defensive midfield role from the off the disrupt them.

They were also strong on the flanks early as we played very narrow and were murdering us on both sides. We widened our defence to try to cope with it but they then took advantage of the gaps this created in the central midfield with their 3.

They were good but we got it tactically wrong for an away game against a team that were always going to come at us

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Taking nothing away from a very good side but the tactical battle did us no favours. They had 3 in the hole behind the main striker and were constantly on the move. We had Kayla and Norwood in the central midfield on a hiding to nothing and should have had Slidell in a defensive midfield role from the off the disrupt them.

They were also strong on the flanks early as we played very narrow and were murdering us on both sides. We widened our defence to try to cope with it but they then took advantage of the gaps this created in the central midfield with their 3.

They were good but we got it tactically wrong for an away game against a team that were always going to come at us

My thoughts as well, if we had gained more control in the centre we could of had a go at their defence which like Leeds is painfully slow!

Also they made sure Duffy distributed from the back not Dunk! Its obvious but it worked!

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
They were very very good. But I'd say Fulham looked as good, just we upped our game for a period in the second half, and defended much much better. Had we performed as we did at Fulham we would have come away with a better result. But I'd say Fulham for most of the game looked as good as Huddersfield.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
They probably wont play better than that all season. I hope we dont play worse.
But as said before, every second ball fell to them. Thats the way it goes sometimes.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well have we??

Thought Hudds were superb this evening. Didn't let us settle for a second and were in our face from the word go.

Yes there was an element of luck on each of their goals but you make your own luck in this game and quite frankly if they'd kept up the intensity in the second half they would have had 5 or 6.

Bad night at the office with a trip to another bogey club on Sunday (who were superb the other night against Villa) but then 3 very winnable games.

Not that I have seen. We were comprehensively oiutplayed in every area of the pitch. Your comment re luck is also spot on and Huddersfield made their own last night by out competing us in every challenge. We contributed to the result with a decidely clueless and lack lustre display but take nothing away from Huddersfield, the better team most definitely won last night. We were lucky to keep it down to 3 in the end.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Remnded me very much of our capitulation against Cardiff away last season. Hopefully what happened after that match will happen again and we won't lose again.

I said the same thing on the way home. We will learn from this.

Great points made by [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION].

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have just had a punt on them at 55/1. This strikes me as long odds for a team that maybe has had that magical transformation that can bring about a late charge. Bournemouth were on 54 points after 28 and finished with 90, albeit there was a key difference that they were already top of the League with 54.

Reading in 2012 really did come from nowhere, had 45 after 28 and achieved 44 points from last 18 games. Again there is a difference to this season in that West Ham were top with just 53 from 28.

So it could be done. But there are some crucial differences this time: the two leaders are in a much better position than the competition that Reading and Bournemouth faced. Crucially too, it is inconceivable that more than one team can make a big charge for the simple reason that the challengers have to play each other. I can't see that both Newcastle and Albioncan be dislodged, one maybe but not both.

But I was mightily impressed with Huddersfield. IMO they are being underrated. Chances are that they cannot replicate that form enough from now to season end to get into top two,but I think there's is better than a 55/1 chance they can win the League.

66/1 on B365. Agree poss worth a couple of quid on last night's showing

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Last night after Huddersfield conceeded a poor goal, we would have gone for the jugular. Defensively they are not good just look at their stats F35 A31, they are very beatable but you need to win the midfield. The rest as they say is history!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
They were very very good. But I'd say Fulham looked as good, just we upped our game for a period in the second half, and defended much much better. Had we performed as we did at Fulham we would have come away with a better result. But I'd say Fulham for most of the game looked as good as Huddersfield.

But Fulham were not clinical with the finishing and it is goals that count.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
No

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Think the key thing to take out of last night is it's improbable that Huddersfield will play that well again this season and we certainly can't play any worse. Just one of them games. Not to mention it being one of those matches where every loose ball falls conveniently at the feet of an unmarked Huddersfield player. We could play that match 100 times and not loose as convincingly as we did last night. A performance and result at Brentford on Sunday and all will be forgotten. We go again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HTFC Fan

Feb 3, 2017
I don’t usually register for any football forum, including our own, as I find the animosity between fans not something I can stomach.

However, a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of this thread and I was, honestly, blown away. It’s not often you see such praise of an opposition team on another forum. For that reason I had to register and congratulate you on your humble honesty of last nights game. If only more fans where like this.

As you know, we play Leeds on Sunday, I guess that if we beat them you won’t see this sort of behaviour from there fans.

Thanks

theboybilly

Agree with NooBHA. For once, I'm a little disappointed in CH's selection and tactics.

442 works for us when we're running the show, or competing strongly. It also works when the two 'fluid' parts are there - Baldock linking midfield to attack, Stephens linking midfield to defence and attack. We had neither last night.

So to put out 442 regardless, with two 'centre forwards' in Hemed and Murray, and a midfield partnership of Kayal and Norwood that had never played together, was a tad complacent.

Maybe, for once, we should have plumped for Murray as a lone striker, and put Sidwell into a 3 across the middle formation, and looked to contain Huddersfield and even - gasp - looked to secure a draw first and foremost.

This was my thought for Brentford on Sunday. With hindsight we should have had a 5-man midfield last night

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
They were very energetic and never stopped running....we never settled and lost our shape and confidence.Our passing was so so so bad it was unreal and couldn't believe what I was watching.
Tactically we got mullered and deserved nothing end of :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here