Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What ARE you attempting to make a joke about? I may as well ask you if you have given up complaining about the shops in Hailsham.

Oh,so you have never been critical of the voters in Sunderland?Never been critical of the car workers in Sunderland?Never called anybody there turkeys voting for Christmas?etc etc etc

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It probably is, have you heard of Google?

Ooooh,you're so clever.Maybe you could copy and paste somebody else's explanation of Google for me:lolol:

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
I think Agriculture is one of the biggest issues in Brexit, if we continue to subsidise our Farmers in the way the EU did, it is going to be an area where trade deals with the rest of the world get bogged down, and tarriffs will be applied to our agricultural produce and foods exports. If we don't subsidise farming, we will have to impose probably even higher tarriffs on imported foods, to push the prices high enough for farmers to earn a living. Food prices are likely to go up pretty sharpish either way.
The other option is let them go to the wall and become fully dependent on imported foods, a crazy situation for a country of our size and amount of fertile land, with world demand on agriculture growing.
As with the whole EU, there are problems with the CAP, but ditching it rather than reforming it will be painful and is unlikely to be replaced with anything better.

Farmers subsidies from the EU are paid in euros, so they will already feel the pain of Pound/Euro exchange rates while we try and work it all out.

You'd do well to remember that those subsidies do not come from the generosity of the EU instead they come from the British tax payer, well maybe not directly but indirectly they do...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Isn't this an instance of where a reasonable assumption can be made? One set of figures shows that there is a vast mismatch between the number of UK pensioners in Spain and the number of Spanish pensioners in the UK. Another set of figures show that healthcare usage rises sharply as people get older. From these data it seems reasonable to assume that the cost of treating UK citizens in Spain is much higher than Spanish citizens in the UK.

I think we can almost make that assumption and [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has produced the figures to show the second point. The only thing missing is the health spending on the non pensioner respective populations. For instance (and it is
only an example possibility) if expats from Spain are mainly young families and there are considerably more of them then there are Spanish OAPs then the relative spend on British and Spanish OAPs would be a less useful figure to be extrapolating.
To be honest I find this an interesting statistic/ public service planning question rather then anything else. If my theory were indeed correct then I wouldn't actually begrudge a penny of said spending on young Spanish families.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Surely 'Non-EU workers' on a 'controlled fixed-term work permit scheme' as proposed by The NFU wont discriminate against religion or which Non-EU country the worker comes from, so I was just wondering if anyone, perhaps in farming areas such Lincolnshire, would have a problem with this? Turkey is the largest Non-EU country nearest to us, so surely it would make sense to take farm workers from there rather than from countries further afield such as Pakistan or Bangladesh?

Forgive me if I am missing a point, but would a post-Brexit permit scheme discriminate between EU and non-EU workers? The minimum wage would make UK farm employment attractive to single people from both eastern Europe and near-Asia and I'd imagine both would come. Would people in Lincolnshire have a preference? It's tempting to say 'of course not' but I'd think that like most British people they would have a general and impersonalised preference for Europeans, all things being equal.

The favourites might be Poles. Poles have been coming to Lincolnshire to work for a very long time. Most air force bases in the county had a few in the 1940s although sadly they often didn't hang around for long.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I shall be doing my good xmas deed,this year...A works colleague of the mrs is living alone so the mrs out of pity has kindly invited the lonely old dear over ours for xmas dinner, i don't know the woman and the mrs barely knows her but all the same a nice gesture.
I told the mrs that should i happen to find out beforehand that the woman is a remoaner then i am sorry but the offer is off......i want to enjoy my xmas dinner without the need of chucking it over some gobby remoaners head, cant be any fairer than that.:wink:
Yes,, that's one way to sort it out. I've had a similar issue. A lady we know quite well has been staying with us for two months while her accommodation is being sorted out. She voted Leave because she loves the Queen and some Spanish bloke dumped her in the late sixties. I've told her she can do absolutely anything in the house (even watch Strictly) except bring the Daily Mail on to the premises. She can smoke in the garden if she wants to but the journal of hate is banned even there. She has taken it very well.

Good luck!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Is it not the economic argument for Brexit though, to have more liberal globalisation, through trade agreement with India, China, US etc?
I do not like the EU. I have made it abundantly clear. However, I have said many times, I do not know what Brexit will end up looking like, and neither does anyone else. There is a danger that what you say comes to pass. I really hope not, but yes, I take your point.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Obviously I don't feel like congratulating older people for voting Leave but your claim that noting the demographics of Leave/Remain voters amounts to 'vile demonisation of the so-called elderly' is bizarre.

You should have seen my Facebook feed in the aftermath of the referendum. Many of the younger friends I have posted stuff I was absolutely disgusted by. Far far more extreme than most of the posters on here. It was vile and it was demonization.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Yes,, that's one way to sort it out. I've had a similar issue. A lady we know quite well has been staying with us for two months while her accommodation is being sorted out. She voted Leave because she loves the Queen and some Spanish bloke dumped her in the late sixties. I've told her she can do absolutely anything in the house (even watch Strictly) except bring the Daily Mail on to the premises. She can smoke in the garden if she wants to but the journal of hate is banned even there. She has taken it very well.

Good luck!
My idea is at least justified whereas yours isn't .

I haven't met the woman yet, and like i said i don't even know her, but i know that if she's half sensible she would have voted Brexit ...in which case we shall get along just fine.:p

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You should have seen my Facebook feed in the aftermath of the referendum. Many of the younger friends I have posted stuff I was absolutely disgusted by. Far far more extreme than most of the posters on here. It was vile and it was demonization.
...but not as disgusting as things - some far worse than words - perpetrated by certain Leave supporters during and since the referendum. Witness the threats of violence and intimidation during the current legal proceedings - they're only going in one direction - and the soaring hate crimes since before June 23. We shouldn't judge most Leavers and Remainers by the behaviour of the extremes and I don't intend to but it is a bit rich for NSC Leave campaigners, on the back of a ludicrous misinterpretation regarding referendum demographics, to attempt to take the moral high ground.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
...but not as disgusting as things - some far worse than words - perpetrated by certain Leave supporters during and since the referendum. Witness the threats of violence and intimidation during the current legal proceedings - they're only going in one direction - and the soaring hate crimes since before June 23. We shouldn't judge most Leavers and Remainers by the behaviour of the extremes and I don't intend to but it is a bit rich for NSC Leave campaigners, on the back of a ludicrous misinterpretation regarding referendum demographics, to attempt to take the moral high ground.

I'm not taking any moral high ground, I was just commenting from personal experience. I agree with your inference that most people are decent whether they are leave or remain. Although I have wanted a vote for over 30 years, I am almost regretting it took place as from the start the campaign's were negative and fearful and certainly without honour. This bitter atmosphere is polluting political discussion atm. I think it was you that earlier said that contributors here are political with a small p but most people aren't that bothered. I agree totally, but that's a bad situation, the Brexit vote could even make that worse as people of either side may not feel their vote was respected or achieved the desired result.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Parliament voted in favour of triggering article 50. Did I miss something?! Isn't that what the supreme court battle was about? Can someone help me figure this out.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Over the top and a wonderful if not rare example of the victim mentality you like to charge others with. As has been pointed out no one is 'blaming' older people for claiming more healthcare than younger ones. It's a fact that they do. No more critical than saying that young people claim more in education costs than older ones. Good on both groups I say.

Obviously I don't feel like congratulating older people for voting Leave but your claim that noting the demographics of Leave/Remain voters amounts to 'vile demonisation of the so-called elderly' is bizarre.

Not sure how I was playing the victim card, I don’t even consider myself “old” at all and part of the group I was commenting on.
I never said simply noting the demographics amounted to vile demonization, those are your words not mine.
But I wonder what sort of bubble you live in if you didn’t notice some of the abuse flying towards older voters after the referendum. Its more bizarre you don’t consider stuff like this vile?

khvo-640x480.jpg

Cl5zYe5WkAApUfK.jpg

capture.jpg

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm not taking any moral high ground, I was just commenting from personal experience. I agree with your inference that most people are decent whether they are leave or remain. Although I have wanted a vote for over 30 years, I am almost regretting it took place as from the start the campaign's were negative and fearful and certainly without honour. This bitter atmosphere is polluting political discussion atm. I think it was you that earlier said that contributors here are political with a small p but most people aren't that bothered. I agree totally, but that's a bad situation, the Brexit vote could even make that worse as people of either side may not feel their vote was respected or achieved the desired result.

I do agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here