Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who was the fastest ever Brighton player?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I have to agree. In all my sixty years watching the Albion, Armstrong was without doubt the fastest, closely followed in my opinion by Frankie Howard. I seem to remember it being reported at the time, that Armstrong was close to being able to run the 100 yards (as it was then) in a time that would qualify for the British athletic team.

I'm about 10 years less than you in watching BHA but will also vouch for Armstrong. He was breathtakingly quick but as previously mentioned, little or no end product. The tactics were simple....kick off and launch the ball into the far left hand corner. Light the blue touch paper and watch Armstrong streak after it. Then, he would either overrun it, miscontrol it or cross it straight into the crowd behind the goal. Once, only once did I see it work. Amazingly, Armstrong managed to reach the ball and cross it in one movement. Alan Gilliver tapped it in and we were one up after 12 seconds.
A mention for Alan Duffy, who it is rumoured was by far the quickest from the front door of any pub to the bar.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Have to add my vote for Armstrong and also concur with those who had doubts about his all-round ability. I have a vague memory of him simply running very, very fast in a straight line - and that's it!

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
It was very exciting though! He would knock the ball miles past the full back knowing he could get there first. But that was it. Used to get the crowd going.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
CMS was lightening until he did his achilles at Bristol City..... slow afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Not an obvious selection if the other answers are anything to go by, but without a doubt the quickest I've seen is Kurt Nogan. Certainly over say 25m. You knew if the ball went over the top and he was involved in a two-man sprint, he would win. The closest I've ever seen to a human whippet....

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Have to add my vote for Armstrong and also concur with those who had doubts about his all-round ability. I have a vague memory of him simply running very, very fast in a straight line - and that's it!

He had the same problem as Buckley had a full speed, running out of ground and needing to slow down to avoid going into the crowd. Armstrong was more like Lualua a quick burst of acceleration and then he had to look up and see of Alex Dawson had arrived yet, most likely not.

With that side, we did not need a fast winger. All a winger needs is to be fast enough to find the space to get a cross in. I think the speedster is the best if he is the second striker running off the shoulder of the defender beating the offside trap, receiving the ball on the half turn and swivelling all quicker than defender, or arriving from deep quicker than the opposition, or going wide and cutting in like an inverted winger.

So Lualua (and Buckley before him) are better suited to the second striker role or the man behind our target striker(s).

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/performance/tactics/hughton-stopping-jet-heeled-striker

Stop the supply line to a speedster. Having a quick forward makes the opposition play deep and discourages the opposition full back from overlapping (as he can get caught on the break).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here