Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Johnson

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You couldn't be more wrong. Look at the team we had in September 13 to the one we have now, they are worlds apart. Back then we had players devoid of confidence under Holloway and lacking in Prem experience. A year on the same players are now confident as they know they can compete at this level after an amazing 2nd half of last season, have a years experience behind them and we have added the following quality players: Hennesey, Dann, Kelly, Ledley, Mcarthur and Zaha. We are so much stronger than a year ago and if you can't see that then you know nothing about football :stupid:

Its early days, but this team of world beaters has two points less and is six places below where they were this time last year. Instead of a manager who has never been relegated, they now have a manager who has a different 100% record, having been relegated in every one of the three seasons he has managed in the top division. (To be fair QPR sacked him and were subsequently relegated.)

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
And how are they going to do that? You need something fast because your loses aren't sustainable mid - long term

More sponsorship deals, revenue derived from the hotel planned at the Amex and more non-football events, I'd guess. Additionally, the academy effect and potentially have higher quality and higher value young players to promote to the first team and/or sell to bigger clubs.

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
Its early days, but this team of world beaters has two points less and is six places below where they were this time last year. Instead of a manager who has never been relegated, they now have a manager who has a different 100% record, having been relegated in every one of the three seasons he has managed in the top division. (To be fair QPR sacked him and were subsequently relegated.)

If it wasn't for Tevez then Sheffield Utd would have stayed up in 07, Warnock got 38 points out of a squad of players far inferior to the one he has just inherited. When he got sacked from QPR, he had them outside the bottom 3.

Yes, we are 2 points worse off than last year but look at our opening fixtures in comparison. Away at Arsenal and Newcastle was always going to be tough and the West Ham game can be put down to a combination of the players being affected by the Pulis departure/new manager uncertainty and injuries to 3 of our best players in Dann, Puncheon and Ledley, with the latter injured 10 mins before kick off in the warm up. West Ham also played very well on the day to be fair to them.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If it wasn't for Tevez then Sheffield Utd would have stayed up in 07

Yes and Brighton would have won the FA Cup. Obviously without Tevez, West Ham would have started every game with only ten players. You're already starting to sound like Colin.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
More sponsorship deals, revenue derived from the hotel planned at the Amex and more non-football events, I'd guess. Additionally, the academy effect and potentially have higher quality and higher value young players to promote to the first team and/or sell to bigger clubs.

And if it all goes down that way you'll probably be fine. However, the hotel will presumably belong to Bloom. The academy has no guarantees of working (given that lots of clubs have owned big academies and failed to develop good players) and given that there is The Black Rock and Brighton Centre developments no real guarantee that you'll be able to get in lots more non-football events.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Maybe we could lend them some of our £200 million Prem windfall? Nah

LOL. And how much of that is left? :lolol: Talk about fools and their money being soon parted. If you're not wasting it on cladding, sorting out the Holmesdale toilets and the burger stands you're wasting it on shit players and obscene wages.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
And if it all goes down that way you'll probably be fine. However, the hotel will presumably belong to Bloom. The academy has no guarantees of working (given that lots of clubs have owned big academies and failed to develop good players) and given that there is The Black Rock and Brighton Centre developments no real guarantee that you'll be able to get in lots more non-football events.

You haven't really thought about this have you? The sole reason for the club to develop a hotel is so that it has money coming in which can be invested without breaking FFP rules. If the hotel belonged to Tony Bloom the profit from it would go to.... Yes that's right, Tony Bloom. Any part of it he decided to reinvest in the club would be limited by FFP limits on owner investment in the playing side. Oh but maybe this is his plan. He has spent £200 million of his own money on a state of the art training ground and stadium, not because he believes that future generations should enjoy the City's football club, but because he wanted the profits from a hotel in Falmer.

It is pointless trying to argue if you are just going to present what you hope to be the case as truth. If you start from such a fallacious base, its just too easy to point out that your bias is leading your judgement.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
You haven't really thought about this have you? The sole reason for the club to develop a hotel is so that it has money coming in which can be invested without breaking FFP rules. If the hotel belonged to Tony Bloom the profit from it would go to.... Yes that's right, Tony Bloom. Any part of it he decided to reinvest in the club would be limited by FFP limits on owner investment in the playing side. Oh but maybe this is his plan. He has spent £200 million of his own money on a state of the art training ground and stadium, not because he believes that future generations should enjoy the City's football club, but because he wanted the profits from a hotel in Falmer.

It is pointless trying to argue if you are just going to present what you hope to be the case as truth. If you start from such a fallacious base, its just too easy to point out that your bias is leading your judgement.

No offence but have you read any of the bollocks your fellow fans have been saying about Palace on this thread? Talking about bias wouldn't be a strong point for your lot right now :)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
No offence but have you read any of the bollocks your fellow fans have been saying about Palace on this thread? Talking about bias wouldn't be a strong point for your lot right now :)

This is redirection and doesn't address any of the faults in your own post. If you are going to devote time to arguing against Brighton with a whole forum of Brighton fans you should be aware that you will be in the minority and really need to up your game.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
I argued incredibly well, in return I got back 'Palace are millions of pounds in debt' 'Brighton don't own Uncle Tony any money' and 'We're going to have loadsacash'. Forgive me for not choosing to give your most recent post much consideration. Your fellow fans coloured me against bothering :)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I argued incredibly well, in return I got back 'Palace are millions of pounds in debt' 'Brighton don't own Uncle Tony any money' and 'We're going to have loadsacash'. Forgive me for not choosing to give your most recent post much consideration. Your fellow fans coloured me against bothering :)

Unfortunately, if you can't see that you have a problem, we can't begin to help. Come back when you have reached rock bottom and are prepared to say "My name is COYP and I am addicted to going on to opposition forums and deluding myself into believing that setting up straw men, and saying 'I know you are, what about me' constitutes solid debate."

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
Yes and Brighton would have won the FA Cup. Obviously without Tevez, West Ham would have started every game with only ten players. You're already starting to sound like Colin.

Tevez was there best player that season by a country mile, there top scorer and scored some vital goals including a fair few winners, none more so than the last day winning goal up at Old Trafford. At the time he was one of the best strikers in the world, it was a huge coup that they got him, he ended up at Man Utd the next year. I think it's fair to assume without him and with someone else in the team instead they would have gone down considering they stayed up by the skin of there teeth.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Tevez was there best player that season by a country mile, there top scorer and scored some vital goals including a fair few winners, none more so than the last day winning goal up at Old Trafford. At the time he was one of the best strikers in the world, it was a huge coup that they got him, he ended up at Man Utd the next year. I think it's fair to assume without him and with someone else in the team instead they would have gone down considering they stayed up by the skin of there teeth.

Thanks Neil, but our question was 'Are you pleased to be back with Palace?'

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

jeju5atu.jpg

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I am don't going to get into a big debate on all things Palace as it just appears that the guys who post on here will not have that Palace do anything wrong and Brighton are the devils team and visa versa to be honest , but the thing that gets my back up is the comment 'proper fans' what does that mean ? Wearing balaclavas, banging drums, making silly paper displays, making themselves look like idiots on sky demo ? , making slit throat gestures to their own manager when things are not going well?. All clubs have good, bad, plastic fans, all the same please do try to tell me or other good fans that we are not 'proper'. I have done 50 years of supporting my club, been on
Most of the marches and demos and think I am
'Proper'. Apologies to the good Palace fans and my mates who support Palace and do not feel the need to spend all
Their lives on their rivals message boards basically taking crap.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Palace fans can't seriously believe that Tony Pulis improved the side by giving them 'confidence'. He works on a system that he has used for years, which gets average players playing well as a unit, hence the reason they nearly got a draw at Arsenal 2 days after he left. What happened in the games when he didn't have an input? Conceding goals and losing games.

And as for Warnock - he is not a top flight manager and never will be. His record shows that.

COYP and co, I'm not saying you are not in a better position than us (you are currently purely because you are in the league above us), but your club has managed to turn round a promising position into one that will probably end in disaster for you.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Palace fans can't seriously believe that Tony Pulis improved the side by giving them 'confidence'. He works on a system that he has used for years, which gets average players playing well as a unit, hence the reason they nearly got a draw at Arsenal 2 days after he left. What happened in the games when he didn't have an input? Conceding goals and losing games.

And as for Warnock - he is not a top flight manager and never will be. His record shows that.

COYP and co, I'm not saying you are not in a better position than us (you are currently purely because you are in the league above us), but your club has managed to turn round a promising position into one that will probably end in disaster for you.

If Warnock has the humility, he will stick with Pulis's training methods. (Yes I was laughing as I wrote that).

Palace fans' best bet is that he's not around to change Pulis's methods. I seem to remember Jason Puncheon having to open his wallet after saying that, in one of his previous jobs, Warnock wasn't that conspicuous on the training ground.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here