Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you have an end of season question for Tony Bloom? Here's your chance...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is it your intention to convert the debts owed to you by the club into equity, as has been done by the owners of Leicester?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes, it would be great to have a detailed breakdown of income and expenditure to chew over. Pretty sure that £0.5m is spent at the Barber's.

We do. As much detail as we're ever going to get are in the published accounts, which [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] does an analysis on and posts it on here. PB's cost last year was £480k.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Sorry, but this is a stupid question.
We finished in 6th place! where did Millwall and Bournemouth finish? Surely it's good management to do better than the competition at a lower cost, am I missing something?
Westy, if your quick you may have time to edit your ridiculous post!

Why is it a stupid question? I just want to know where all the vast amount of money that floods into the club goes. Where did the Barnes and Bridcutt money go too?

Why is it a stupid question? I just want to know where all the vast amount of money that floods into the club goes. Where did the Barnes and Bridcutt money go too?

Then look at the accounts filed at Companies House like some of us who post endlessly (seemingly) on NSC on this subject. Alternatively use the NSC search function and READ what has been abstracted and explained from these accounts.
The Bridcutt and Barnes money may, or may not, have been spent on whatever the club wants. If it remains unspent on 30 June then it will appear on the income side of the 2013/14 accounts, thus reducing the anticipated loss for the current financial period (less any amortisation balancing). The accounts have to be published within 9 months of the end of the financial period/year (1st July-30th June); the club usually file these at Companies House during the following February or March.

Is it your intention to convert the debts owed to you by the club into equity, as has been done by the owners of Leicester?

Yes - I should have included this in my list of questions.

Seems a good one to me also but doesn't the accumulated BHA FC Ltd debt (as shareholder's deficit) currently stand at just over £52m? So £5m of debt can be "absorbed" as new equity in 2013/14, then what?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Why is it a stupid question?

Because you are too bone idle or too stupid to find out for yourself on the endless discussions on the issue that have already taken place, mainly on NSC, but also in the Argus, the club website, fanzine and club program.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Can the Capacity of the Stadium be expanded, either through another tier on the North Stand or pushing seats closer together?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Seems a good one to me also but doesn't the accumulated BHA FC Ltd debt (as shareholder's deficit) currently stand at just over £52m? So £5m of debt can be "absorbed" as new equity in 2013/14, then what?

Tony's loans are consolidated into Holdings' accounts. The creditor balance shown in the club's accounts are thus only part of the total loan that TB has made. At 30 June 2103, Holdings had a debt to TB of £102m. In October 2013, he converted another £11m of that into equity.

The £5m figure you cite is simply for FFP purposes. For the season just gone, FFP allows a £3m loss to be covered by a loan, with a further £5m loss (making the famous £8m in total) being allowed if that sum is put in by way of equity injection.

TB is allowed to covert any amount of the total debt he is owed into equity at any point. The advantage to us of him doing so is that if he holds equity rather than debt, he can't call the debt in (because it is no longer debt), which makes the club much more sustainable financially. TB has converted a shed load of debt into equity previously - I haven't checked recently, but it's at least £51m, and may well be more.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Tony's loans are consolidated into Holdings' accounts. The creditor balance shown in the club's accounts are thus only part of the total loan that TB has made. At 30 June 2103, Holdings had a debt to TB of £102m. In October 2013, he converted another £11m of that into equity.

The £5m figure you cite is simply for FFP purposes. For the season just gone, FFP allows a £3m loss to be covered by a loan, with a further £5m loss (making the famous £8m in total) being allowed if that sum is put in by way of equity injection.

TB is allowed to covert any amount of the total debt he is owed into equity at any point. The advantage to us of him doing so is that if he holds equity rather than debt, he can't call the debt in (because it is no longer debt), which makes the club much more sustainable financially. TB has converted a shed load of debt into equity previously - I haven't checked recently, but it's at least £51m, and may well be more.

And people don't trust him? mental

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Then look at the accounts filed at Companies House like some of us who post endlessly (seemingly) on NSC on this subject. Alternatively use the NSC search function and READ what has been abstracted and explained from these accounts.
The Bridcutt and Barnes money may, or may not, have been spent on whatever the club wants. If it remains unspent on 30 June then it will appear on the income side of the 2013/14 accounts, thus reducing the anticipated loss for the current financial period (less any amortisation balancing). The accounts have to be published within 9 months of the end of the financial period/year (1st July-30th June); the club usually file these at Companies House during the following February or March.

Good reply but the club just lumping outgoings under "football related expenditure" or whatever it was called isn't exactly transparent. Its all a bit cloak and dagger for me, but there you go.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Good reply but the club just lumping outgoings under "football related expenditure" or whatever it was called isn't exactly transparent. Its all a bit cloak and dagger for me, but there you go.

Just about all businesses only release the information that they are required to by Law, as the accounts are available for £1 from Companies House, meaning that competing clubs, players, agents et al could use the information to their financial advantage. If they released the detailed information to the fans, how long do you think it would take for those people who could use that information for their personal gain to get it? I would estimate 30 minutes.

If you can interpret accounts and have some experience of reading them, you can deduce more information than is actually released, though not stuff like X player is paid £Y.

There is nothing untoward or "cloak and dagger" about the club's financial reporting - it's perfectly standard, and it's done for very good commercial reasons. I do accept that you'd like more information, but would you be happy for QPR (say) and target player X's agent to also have that information? I wouldn't.

Sure, I was aware of the broader picture wrt to debt/equity conversion, BHA Holdings Ltd and the FFP limitations both now and going forward. Just got a bit lazy on my post-chemo day, sorry.
My point is that how is the current and any future debt held on the football club accounts going to be handled as it is the club (BHA FC Ltd) and not the Holding Company or Community Stadium Ltd that are members of the Football League and therefore subject to the FFP limitations you've summarised.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We do. As much detail as we're ever going to get are in the published accounts, which [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] does an analysis on and posts it on here. PB's cost last year was £480k.

Ah, but it's that extra level of detail that we aren't going to get that would be the interesting part. Just how much some of these players are on and whether they are worth it!
I understand that PB will get his bonus so will exceed £0.5m this year.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sure, I was aware of the broader picture wrt to debt/equity conversion, BHA Holdings Ltd and the FFP limitations both now and going forward. Just got a bit lazy on my post-chemo day, sorry.
My point is that how is the current and any future debt held on the football club accounts going to be handled as it is the club (BHA FC Ltd) and not the Holding Company or Community Stadium Ltd that are members of the Football League and therefore subject to the FFP limitations you've summarised.

No problem! I hope the chemo is going as OK as it can...

The debt in the club's accounts doesn't impact on FFP compliance in any way. FFP constrains the maximum loss that can be made on an annual basis, not the level of debt carried on the balance sheet. The only P&L effect of the debt would be any interest charge, but since the debt is interest-free, there is no impact.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Will the club be looking to slim the squad down this Summer, but at the same time injecting more pace with some new arrivals?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Something that's just come up on another thread:

For Season Ticker Holders who are not renewing, are the club planning to try and find out some of the reasons behind these decisions? A simple email-based survey, for example?

No problem! I hope the chemo is going as OK as it can...

The debt in the club's accounts doesn't impact on FFP compliance in any way. FFP constrains the maximum loss that can be made on an annual basis, not the level of debt carried on the balance sheet. The only P&L effect of the debt would be any interest charge, but since the debt is interest-free, there is no impact.

1) Ta.
2) Ok I get it now, seems obvious too, now I've re-read the regs yet again (not that I disbelieved you). 3/10, must try harder.

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
Have you found out what Dick Tight did with the '83 Cup Final money yet?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Will you approach another club for there manager if required, or are we looking at current managers out of work ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here