Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar spending $500m a week on World Cup infrastructure projects

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Given how much the Qatari FA is paying football finance DULLARDS to help them understand how to calculate the numbers on the tournament I am not surprised at those figures.
Don't put yourself down.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Although none of the money is being spent on health and safety and the protection of workers

Some is, but not enough. They have made significant improvements as a result of the criticism levelled at them, but there's still some way to go IMO.

Oct 25, 2003
A WC in Oz would have been great

Must admit close to zero interest the WC these days, the toxic combination of FIFA and England's cycle of failure. Wake me up in 2026

Australia would have hosted a fine tournament. They're sports MAD as a nation and a truly growing market in terms of football with an ever improving domestic league with a growing fan base. Plus their national team are actually capable of qualifying for tournaments and not disgracing themselves.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
2018 should have been England not Russia
2022 should have been Australia not Qatar

Simple.

I'd agree with you on the (b)latter, but disagree on the former purely on relative footballing success and history.

If the footballing powerhouses of Switzerland, Japan, South Korea, South Africa and Mexico (twice) can host the World Cup, so can Russia.

Russia / Soviet Union - Euro Champions in 1960, Euro Runners-Up in 1964, 1972 and 1988, Euros 4rd place in 1968, Euros Semi-Finalists in 2008

However the vote happened to come about and regardless of real challenges such as hooliganism and racism, Russia hosting is long overdue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here