Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This "Diarra is a Hyypia signing" thing

Oct 25, 2003
i would rather the manager identified players that he wanted...i'm not convinced by the director of football type role at all. I think it works at big clubs where they have huge budgets and it's all 'hey, mr. manager I've just signed Cristiano Ronaldo for you....is that a problem?', but when Cristiano Ronaldo becomes Leroy Lita or whatever it seems like a bit of a waste of time signing players that the manager doesn't really want or is reluctantly agreeing to

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Admittedly, Teixeira could have been identified and Sammi could have just rung Gerrard to make the deal more likely, but when it was first announced the move was touted as 'Hyypia rings Gerrard to ask if there's a player that can help at Brighton'.

Perhaps Burke did identify Teixeira and Hyypia just facilitated the move.

I had not read that article.

I mean, i know that it is easy to deduce that Hyypia would be able to get players from Liverpool like Poyet did from Chelsea (Ince, Bridcutt). But we don't know we weren't already looking at him. Also is it not Burkes position to actually facilitate any transfers anyway - so if Hyypia rings Gerrard, Gerrard sends Tex down, Hyypia convinses Burke/Tex it'd be worth while, Burke gets something agreed.

I think Burke has been quite good. I can only think of a few players we've signed which have been poor (Lita, Obika, maybe Andrews although I thought he showed his expereince towards the end of the season). Kush was a masterstroke. getting Ulloa for 1.3 million was genius.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Southampton, a structure I assume we are following had an ideal situation this Summer.
Koeman says 'one player I do want is x'.
Director of football replies 'we've been tracking him too'.
Player signed a few days later.

I guess that's the dream.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well we have recently employed a player identification manager so maybe some of the first team recruitment responsibility has been taken away from Burke.

The Player Identification Manager, should be the First Team Manager. It should be up to Hyppia, (or whoever else is doing that job), to identify the players he needs.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
On a couple of threads Alou Diarra has been described as looking like a Hyypia signing.

I'm curious as to why people suddenly assume Burke (who sacked the agent who spotted Ulloa), Was appointed prior to the signing of Kush, Bridge who was expecting a call from Burke and never got it but WOULD have signed even with Gus leaving. Ok Readings didnt get the best of him.

Upson Im not sure about this

Ward what with the penny pinching going on over the summer not paying the fee to Wolves thats his remit. We started the season with NO left back unless you ount Chicksen - currently on loan to a lower league club.

Benno which Jo or Elliott? I reckoin if Elliott people in the club "had a word"

Tex Mex - on record as a Hyypia signing/recommendation.

Stephens, Hughes, Lingard, Al Habsi, Joe Bennett, Toko - who on paper is a fantastic signing, Bent, Stockdale - again on paper looks like a decent replacement) has nothing to do with our signings.

Then there is Obika
Lita
O Grady
Baldrick

Im just adding BALANCE here.

The guy is a ****.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Southampton, a structure I assume we are following had an ideal situation this Summer.
Koeman says 'one player I do want is x'.
Director of football replies 'we've been tracking him too'.
Player signed a few days later.

I guess that's the dream.

Indeed. BHA reality is

Manager "I want x"

Burke: "Well he isnt on my database spreadsheet and I sacked the scout who found someone like Ulloa, on paper this fella seems quite good I will get him for you"

Manager : "thanks a bunch"

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I had not read that article.

I mean, i know that it is easy to deduce that Hyypia would be able to get players from Liverpool like Poyet did from Chelsea (Ince, Bridcutt). But we don't know we weren't already looking at him. Also is it not Burkes position to actually facilitate any transfers anyway - so if Hyypia rings Gerrard, Gerrard sends Tex down, Hyypia convinses Burke/Tex it'd be worth while, Burke gets something agreed.

I think Burke has been quite good. I can only think of a few players we've signed which have been poor (Lita, Obika, maybe Andrews although I thought he showed his expereince towards the end of the season). Kush was a masterstroke. getting Ulloa for 1.3 million was genius.

Ulloa was tracked for a good 18 months prior to signing. HE DID NOT FIND HIM. He may have been at the contract signing photo but msake no mistake he IS NOT a Burke find.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ulloa was tracked for a good 18 months prior to signing. HE DID NOT FIND HIM. He may have been at the contract signing photo but msake no mistake he IS NOT a Burke find.

The scout in Spain, at the time was Aranalde, who worked for us.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Then there is Obika
Lita
O Grady
Baldrick

Im just adding BALANCE here.

The guy is a ****.

O'Grady, who we all felt would be a solid squad player and contribute 10-15 goals this season based on his season at Barnsley last time around.
Baldock, who only a small minority objected to when he joined.
Lita, who has experience at this level and was a decent capture on paper.

Can you even tell me what Burke's job is? Or does it suit your "I want a cottage industry" agenda to assume that every crap signing is a "Burke signing" but as soon as a good player comes along (Kush, Upson, Ward, Bridge for example) its instantly a manager signing.

DoF has put us in the playoffs for two years running. This season it's been a bit more difficult. We took too long to hire the wrong manager and signed players who looked good on paper.

Oh and your romantic view on the managers involvement in signing players: Toko was a "Garcia signing". Burke facilitated this. He's not made a single start yet. :thumbsup:

Get with the times. Appropriate blame where it is due.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
O'Grady, who we all felt would be a solid squad player and contribute 10-15 goals this season based on his season at Barnsley last time around.
Baldock, who only a small minority objected to when he joined.
Lita, who has experience at this level and was a decent capture on paper.

Can you even tell me what Burke's job is? Or does it suit your "I want a cottage industry" agenda to assume that every crap signing is a "Burke signing" but as soon as a good player comes along (Kush, Upson, Ward, Bridge for example) its instantly a manager signing.

DoF has put us in the playoffs for two years running. This season it's been a bit more difficult. We took too long to hire the wrong manager and signed players who looked good on paper.

Oh and your romantic view on the managers involvement in signing players: Toko was a "Garcia signing". Burke facilitated this. He's not made a single start yet. :thumbsup:

Get with the times. Appropriate blame where it is due.

All recruitment at the Albion is done by a team and has been for some time. The decision to sign someone is done collectively and has been for some time. Some people cannot understand that. Post 3 sums it up really!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
All recruitment at the Albion is done by a team and has been for some time. The decision to sign someone is done collectively and has been for some time. Some people cannot understand that. Post 3 sums it up really!

I'd rather a team decide players joining rather than just one man. Espeically if his tactics are anything to go by.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Indeed. BHA reality is

Manager "I want x"

Burke: "Well he isnt on my database spreadsheet and I sacked the scout who found someone like Ulloa, on paper this fella seems quite good I will get him for you"

Manager : "thanks a bunch"

Sorry, worth correcting you here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/13861347

HE LEFT TO BE ASSISTANT HEAD COACH IN HIS HOME COUNTRY.

Yes, he did not get sacked. So you look like a rather bitter man right now. Making stuff up to suit this agenda.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
How much of a run/chance in the team did Lita & Obika get? You could probably count number of starts they had between them on one hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here