Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC 'Price of Football 2014' - We are top of the league

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Top of the price league yet very near to the bottom of the actual league. That doesn't seem like good value for money to me.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think the monthly DD payment system makes this manageable. Our attendences would decrease drastically if this was to be reduced. There is no chance that I could pay up in one lump sum. As such I find our season ticket fairly good value for money, especially when you take travel into account.

However as fans we do get milked by the club £4.10 for a frigging pie! a pie that has gone up in price, decreased in quality season on season. it would be intresting to see how much more a pint at each of the grounds would be as well.

The problem is, we will be paying hight prices for a long time yet and lets hope it continues as i should hope this means the club is fairly successful. the worry will be if we slip down a league lose a lot of fair weather fans and we have a half full stadium and we are trying to flog tickets for a fiver.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
However as fans we do get milked by the club £4.10 for a frigging pie! a pie that has gone up in price, decreased in quality season on season. it would be intresting to see how much more a pint at each of the grounds would be as well.

The quote below is quite telling (and a bit naughty by the club).

The pies are expensive here - no question, but it must be said that exactly the same pies are on sale at MK Dons - for £3.20.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
To me, my season ticket is good value for money. The cost of petrol driving to Hove is not, this is not the clubs fault. At the moment in I am in a situation where I can afford to have a season ticket and go to the games. One day this may not be the case. To me the price other clubs charge their fans is irrelevant as even if they only charged 50p I would not be interested in supporting them.

The thing that makes me feel uncomfortable is that just because I am in a nice position that I can afford to go, I am sure there is a number of genuine Brighton fans that can't. But I don't know what the solution is. The cost of running the Albion is very high and we have fantastic facilities, the club has to get its income from somewhere.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I was hoping prices might drop next season but Yeovil are getting away with £25 in League One..

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Paul Barber "- Although acknowledged in the piece, the pies and Harveys were of course the supporters' own choices; frankly, we could make far more profit by stocking neither product as, relatively speaking, they represent quite poor margin returns versus traditional or alternative football club products. "

Yes I'm sure you could stock and sell poor quality pies & ales which would have higher margins. But that doesnt mean you will sell as many and make as much money.

This comment p155ed me off. Trying to make it seem like he is doing us a favour by stocking food and drink that supporters want as opposed to kinds they dont?

Go on and switch the products and see how you get on. Not a single sod would buy them. Bellend.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I remember back in the mid 70s Bamber put prices up higher than thise in the 1st division and that caused an outcry. This overpricing continued into the 1st division when we got promoted. The result was that we had relatively poor gates, albeit that the football wasn't as thrilling as it had been in Div 2.
The danger we have is that if we got promoted, we would still see more increases in ticket prices. I can't see them doing anything else as it would take a whileuntil the PL money came in.
It's just getting unaffordable for the average fan, especially those with a family who also want to go to matches.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But in the general scheme of things relating to all football fans do you not think the prices we pay(many fans from many clubs) are stupid?

i think in the scheme of things prices we pay for alot of things are getting stupid, especially compared to only a decade or two ago. but we keep paying, so clearly we accept this. and they (not just the club, any company) understand this and will charge more until we stop.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The quote below is quite telling (and a bit naughty by the club).

I'm not sure 'naughty' is the right word. I'd suggest it's because there is a middle man who wants his share of the pie - as it were.

I'd be of the opinion that there should be two recipients of our money when it comes to purchasing refreshments - the supplier (Piglet's, Harvey's etc.) and the vendor (the club).* Instead, we have a scenario where a third party, operating to their own business set-up have a piece of the action, and the customer (yes, the customer, not the fan - it's appropriate in this instance), has to pay more.

I'm sure someone in catering can say that the figures won't add up, or the practicalities mean the club might suffer financially - but should that not be the case, can anyone tell me why it doesn't brought in-house, and employ the right people directly? I'm sure the figures have been gone through and practicalities considered, but I'd still like to ask the question - especially as what I've been told by more than one person is flatly contradictory - is it genuinely financially beneficial for the fans AND the club to employ an outside caterer?

Anyone?

* Edit: Forgot - the VAT man and taxman get their cut too. :tosser:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Paul Barber "- Although acknowledged in the piece, the pies and Harveys were of course the supporters' own choices; frankly, we could make far more profit by stocking neither product as, relatively speaking, they represent quite poor margin returns versus traditional or alternative football club products. "

Yes I'm sure you could stock and sell poor quality pies & ales which would have higher margins. But that doesnt mean you will sell as many and make as much money.

Folks feel compelled to fill their fat faces at football, so the club would undoubtedly sell more and make more money. So fair play for (at least for now) electing to stock quality local produce for local people.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Folks feel compelled to fill their fat faces at football, so the club would undoubtedly sell more and make more money. So fair play for (at least for now) electing to stock quality local produce for local people.
Not sure everyone who has food or drink at the Football has a fat face.

Some people enjoy having a pint after the game with their mates, others think that £4.20 is an acceptable price to pay to not stand in a line waiting for a train for 45mins.

Own Goals Galore

Sep 28, 2011
This report comes as no surprise to me or probably any of us. I'm OK with the price of my Season Ticket and appreciate the transport levy is part of that (not that I use it that often). Obviously I would like the price to come down!... But my main gripe is the gradual increase of all the other costs. I think back to the first season at the Amex, where me and my crowd all bought Pies, beers (Pre match, half time and Post match), Hatrick tickets and Programmes. These days, we drink elsewhere before the game (its cheaper), buy chips at the coldean Chip shop (cheaper) and swerve the Programmes.

When I take the kids now, they come with a pack lunch and a flask.

I do wonder if the Albion are seeing this a general trend. And if so will the reaction be to just up the prices again to squeeze every last penny out of the suckers still prepared to consider the concourses as their sole provider of refreshments on a match day.

Yep the pies are tasty, but they tasted better when we had the Pie and a Pint deal.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yep the pies are tasty, but they tasted better when we had the Pie and a Pint deal.

There is still a pie and pint deal for £7.50.

Buy that at a touch before 2 o'clock using e-cash and it will be £6.38 after cash back, or £6.75 if bought between 2pm and 2:30pm. That's not too pricey, is it?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Strip out the transport levy and a adult matchday ticket for a category C game printed off at home is roughly £21.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here